Arrow 4: Clash of the Queens (Season 2 spoilers)

Mladen

Continue...

Last posts:

Bastard of Boston

I suppose I understand the notion of focusing on one's biggest issue with the show when discussing the show's issues, but Laurel or no Laurel, this show has problems. It's interesting to track my overall impressions throughout this topic -- from the beginning of the season, to now -- as it's gotten to a point where I now must remind myself it's Arrow night vs. when I'd anticipate it with all my fanboy heart. Every single character is being handled as sloppily as Laurel is. I'm tiring of everyone. Diggle is bland -- not even his feature episode did much to remedy it -- and Felicity is becoming painfully predictable with her *insert random marginally amusing quip here*. I almost wish Laurel was her midseason self, as her 180 turn to staunch cheerleader has been bothering me for weeks.

Have they even bothered to give us a reason why Summer Glau is following Slade? Like, ya know, are they even going to bother discussing how Slade assembled his team? I'd understand being patient, but I somehow have no faith in this show's ability to highlight important plot points. It's like we're just supposed to believe all these people hooked up because they're bad guys and it's just the type of thing bad guys do. So frustrating. They tried to be way too ambitious with this season. They need to stay in their lane next season.

Corvinus:

I have to admit, I laughed at that last scene.

Jon AS

Are we taking bets on exactly what kind of fake-out that was? My money is on deathstroke minion getting back up behind Merlyn and that's who she's shooting at.

red snow:

That or Merlin has super bulletproof armour on.Maybe then we'll see how he's really her dad by getting all butt-hurt about the betrayal. That said it was good to have him back - never thought I'd be happy to see Barrowman turn up in a show,

I also like how 2 guys with bow and arrows are taking down miracuru minions yet the head of ARGUS with the military under her command thinks the only possible way to solve the problem is to level the entire city. How did she get the job again?

I thought this was the last episode to be honest so was pleased when it turned out there's at least one more.

I think BoB has a point in that they may need to devote more time to the trio of Arrow, Diggle and Felicity next year.

Mladen:

Oh, this was interesting... And hilariously funny... Laurel and Lance were, well, let me restrain from comments :)

Egg mask, or whatever f*** that was on that rather beautiful lady, was such stupid idea.

Love that Merlyn is back... Wish that Thea killed him. Of course she didn't.

Looking forward the finale. It seems that a very hot assassin will be back :)

I just realized something about Robert, though maybe it got mentioned in the last thread.

How old is Isabel meant to be? Ollie and Isabel are roughly the same age. Stephen Amell is actually older than Summer Glau, but Ollie's probably meant to be in his late twenties, so let's go ahead and say Isabel's a little older, like Glau's real age, 32. Thea's meant to be about 19 now (she turned 18 last season in the car crash/Vertigo episode). Robert was about to leave forever with Isabel when he got the call that Moira was pregnant, so he began the affair before then, and since Moira just found out she was pregnant, we can add at least seven or eight months to Thea's age. Bare minimum, the affair started 19 years ago. Isabel would have been about 13.

Sticking to the comics backstory despite on-screen character issues, everybody! But that's enough about Laurel.

I just realized something about Robert, though maybe it got mentioned in the last thread.

How old is Isabel meant to be? Ollie and Isabel are roughly the same age. Stephen Amell is actually older than Summer Glau, but Ollie's probably meant to be in his late twenties, so let's go ahead and say Isabel's a little older, like Glau's real age, 32. Thea's meant to be about 19 now (she turned 18 last season in the car crash/Vertigo episode). Robert was about to leave forever with Isabel when he got the call that Moira was pregnant, so he began the affair before then, and since Moira just found out she was pregnant, we can add at least seven or eight months to Thea's age. Bare minimum, the affair started 19 years ago. Isabel would have been about 13.

Sticking to the comics backstory despite on-screen character issues, everybody! But that's enough about Laurel.

What? No, Robert decided to not leave with Isabel when he got a call saying that Thea had been thrown of a horse, not that Moira was pregnant.

What? No, Robert decided to not leave with Isabel when he got a call saying that Thea had been thrown of a horse, not that Moira was pregnant.

Damn. For some reason, I had the idea that the affairs were happening simultaneously, but now that you say that, I remember you're right.

Laurel comment stands, though :p

Which reminds me: odds of Sara dying after the (fairly lame) "she's a hero" stuff of the last episode? After Laurel has now found sisterly admiration in her little heart, her reaction to Sara's death could be to steal her sister's life honour her sister's memory by taking on her superhero persona!

It might also give Nyssa a reason for an unreasonable vendetta against Oliver/Laurel/Starling City/Thea (really, the writers are probably just rolling dice to determine character motivations) and bring the League of Assassins back as antagonists.

Speaking of Isabel, what's her beef with Felicity?

She was instrumental in foiling her earliest attempt to take over Queen Consolidated.

Or maybe she was going to say "I've been wanting to kill her ever since I was injected with Mirakuru, resulting in a psychotic version of her living in my head telling me to kill her!". We'll probably never know.

It might also give Nyssa a reason for an unreasonable vendetta against Oliver/Laurel/Starling City/Thea (really, the writers are probably just rolling dice to determine character motivations) and bring the League of Assassins back as antagonists.

Don't forget the moment where Olly looks vacant after being told by Blood (wonder if he'll come back as an actual demon- otherwise a fairly pointless arc) that Slade will kill the one Olly loves most. Cue angst over "who Olly loves most" and how Slade is able to put this together better than Olly can. It's going to wind up being Sara even though Thea should make the most sense meaning next season we'll get some BS about how Olly can't "be" with anyone because it gets them killed. The writers will love writing this shit.

Very good ep, but did not seem like it was finished. I guess it was a cliffhanger, but it didn't seem like one.

It was rather sudden and not just the shooting but that final scene was rushed.

Don't forget the moment where Olly looks vacant after being told by Blood (wonder if he'll come back as an actual demon- otherwise a fairly pointless arc) that Slade will kill the one Olly loves most. Cue angst over "who Olly loves most" and how Slade is able to put this together better than Olly can. It's going to wind up being Sara even though Thea should make the most sense meaning next season we'll get some BS about how Olly can't "be" with anyone because it gets them killed. The writers will love writing this shit.

Nah, the writers will want to prop up Laurel again. We'll find out that Slade kidnapped her*, and when he dramatically reveals that Oliver will just look at him in confusion.

Slade: Haha! I kidnapped the person you love the most. I remember you staring at her picture all the time back on the island. The island on which you were stranded because you had run off with her sister. And where you then hooked up with the woman I have an unhealthy obsession with. Admittedly, when you got back you seemed to be actively avoiding Laurel, and then you hooked up with a crazy murderer, that cop, Isabel and then the sister again... uh, you know, I may not have thought this through all that well. Could you maybe come back in an hour so we can do this properly?

*I belive in Starling City that's known as "Wednesday".

Nah, the writers will want to prop up Laurel again. We'll find out that Slade kidnapped her*, and when he dramatically reveals that Oliver will just look at him in confusion.

Slade: Haha! I kidnapped the person you love the most. I remember you staring at her picture all the time back on the island. The island on which you were stranded because you had run off with her sister. And where you then hooked up with the woman I have an unhealthy obsession with. Admittedly, when you got back you seemed to be actively avoiding Laurel, and then you hooked up with a crazy murderer, that cop, Isabel and then the sister again... uh, you know, I may not have thought this through all that well. Could you maybe come back in an hour so we can do this properly?

*I belive in Starling City that's known as "Wednesday".

When you look at it like that it's clear Olly and Laurel were meant for each other :) . I hope the writers realise we'll hate Laurel even more if Sara takes a bullet for her.

"Should I hit her again?" (with the van)

I howled at that line.

Felicity is easily my favorite character. I love that she's the voice of the viewer. "Why is all super serum blue? Why not good old fashioned clear?" (very rough paraphrase)

Speaking of Isabel, what's her beef with Felicity?

I think there might also be some jealousy of Felicity's relationship with Oliver. IIRC, Isabel insinuated at one point than an IT girl doesn't become a CEO's personal secretary without having slept with the CEO.

Blood was pretty hilarious in this episode: "but..but..slade..plz we had a deal"

I was waiting for Slade to quote Vader directly, instead of just paraphrasing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it further."

I thought it was solid. Pretty obvious that Sarah did call in the League and Merlyn. Very much looking forward to the end.

I suspect Blood may stay dead, but another will take up the mask.

When you look at it like that it's clear Olly and Laurel were meant for each other :) .

They're like Lois and Clark. Didn't you know Clark slept with Lucy Lane?

I suspect Blood may stay dead, but another will take up the mask.

There's our new Laurel arc for season 3! Well, for the first couple of episodes anyway, until they realise that's not working out, either...

So fucking weird to see Nate from Southland play this guy.

Why he has been almost everything since then, from Knight Rider to True Blood.

They're like Lois and Clark. Didn't you know Clark slept with Lucy Lane?

Did you mean Lana Lang?

I now see there is a 23 ep this year. So this week is the final ep.

Did you mean Lana Lang?

No, I recently learned that Lois does in fact have a sister, at least in some comics. I was trying to show off my newfound comics trivia knowledge without being too obvious about it.;)

Archived