Aegon VI's Identity: Compiling the Evidence

Chebyshov

agreed. the idea that anyone with a legit claim to targ heritage would receive zero support considering how the war of 5 kings went is absurd. At this point I think, and I believe WOW will support this with Aegon's invasion, that several powerful houses and many lesser houses would support a return to the Targ dynasty.

Added benefit is that Aegon is young enough that some houses might think him pliable and be willing to support him in the hopes that they can influence him later.

It looks like many people believe his fake. And I am persuaded.
By the way, if he is son of indigo-eyed rhaegar and black-eyed elia, how come his eye color was lighter than Rhaegar? Based on JonCon observation.

For the same reason that Rhaegar's full siblings also do not have indigo eyes.  The purple varies.  Daenerys has violet eyes, and Viserys' eyes were lilac.

Elia also carries Targaryen genes from the first Daenerys whose eyes may or may not have been a dark purple.  So the eye colors of her children with Rhaegar do not have to be just indigo or black.

The things that have supported Aegon = Blackfyre offspring to me are that

1. Varys is often associated with being a mummer, and Daenerys is warned repeatedly by HotU and Quaithe to beware the mummer's dragon. To me, this is highly suggestive that GRRM wants us to be suspicious of FAegon - very suspicious. Varys is supporting this Aegon's claim to the throne - Aegon is the mummer's dragon. 

Is the mummer's dragon a fake? Next point...

2. Contracts broken for oaths stronger than gold or blood. 

• The Golden Company was founded by Bittersteel as a means of supporting his war to put his cousin's descendants on the Iron Throne - supporting the claims of the Blackfyres over the legitimised Targaryens. Black over Red. 
  • Illyrio tells Tyrion "Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon" - he's not talking about big flying magical reptiles here. He's referring to the Blackfyres' mission to regain the Throne that they believe was taken from them
  • Why would the GC be so keen to chuck off the contract to Dany, the Red Dragon, in favour of invading for Aegon? Simple: he's proven he's old enough and bold enough for them to stop pretending. Go back to their original mission: put a Blackfyre on the Throne. 

For me, exactly how Aegon is a Blackfyre is less interesting than the fact he is a Blackfyre. Being a son of Illyrio to a Blackfyre woman makes sense, and explains why Illyrio is involved in these schemes. Doesn't necessarily explain why Varys is involved, unless Varys is also a Blackfyre. 

Varys being a Blackfyre also helps explain why he was so keen to help Aerys turn against Rhaegar. All contemporary accounts except for Bobby B suggest Rhaegar would have been a just and good king (and Bobert is horribly biased because he is incapable of not thinking with his dick about Lyanna!) If Varys is really after a good king to be on the Iron Throne, why not support Rhaegar? Because Rhaegar was a Red Dragon still. Varys' role with Aerys was to set up things that the Red Dragons would be taken from the Iron Throne, and a holding pattern of Baratheons could be set up until such time as FAegon was old enough to challenge - to put a Black Dragon on the Throne. 

As much as Jon/Aegon being twins is an interesting theory, and supports both 

a) why Aegon can be a legit heir; and

b ) why Lyanna, a seemingly healthy young woman, died in childbirth (multiple births = increased risks of shit going wrong) 

it doesn't explain why Varys and Illyrio are so obsessed with seeing Aegon on the Throne. They don't even acknowledge the presence of Jon - is this because they don't know about him (unlikely, if they know about Aegon and Aegon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son) or because they don't care?

If they don't care, why don't they care?

That leads me back to Aegon = Blackfyre. *shrugs* 

Actually my question should be, what author wanted to tell us by this comment?
JonCon is in love with rhaegar we all know that.
What is the point to bring this comparison that his eye is lighter than rhaegar's.
I always feel this is a hint to indicate aegon may not be rhaegar's son.

But maybe I am wrong. JonCon was just trying to find rhaegar's features on aegon.

The author was certainly raising doubt as to Rhaegar's paternity, and he may have been signaling that, deep down, Jon has doubts too.

agreed. the idea that anyone with a legit claim to targ heritage would receive zero support considering how the war of 5 kings went is absurd. At this point I think, and I believe WOW will support this with Aegon's invasion, that several powerful houses and many lesser houses would support a return to the Targ dynasty.
Added benefit is that Aegon is young enough that some houses might think him pliable and be willing to support him in the hopes that they can influence him later.

Nimble Dick suggests this may be true.

1. Varys is often associated with being a mummer, and Daenerys is warned repeatedly by HotU and Quaithe to beware the mummer's dragon. To me, this is highly suggestive that GRRM wants us to be suspicious of FAegon - very suspicious. Varys is supporting this Aegon's claim to the throne - Aegon is the mummer's dragon. 

• The Golden Company was founded by Bittersteel as a means of supporting his war to put his cousin's descendants on the Iron Throne - supporting the claims of the Blackfyres over the legitimised Targaryens. Black over Red. 
  • Illyrio tells Tyrion "Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon" - he's not talking about big flying magical reptiles here. He's referring to the Blackfyres' mission to regain the Throne that they believe was taken from them
  • Why would the GC be so keen to chuck off the contract to Dany, the Red Dragon, in favour of invading for Aegon? Simple: he's proven he's old enough and bold enough for them to stop pretending. Go back to their original mission: put a Blackfyre on the Throne. 
For me, exactly how Aegon is a Blackfyre is less interesting than the fact he is a Blackfyre. Being a son of Illyrio to a Blackfyre woman makes sense, and explains why Illyrio is involved in these schemes. Doesn't necessarily explain why Varys is involved, unless Varys is also a Blackfyre. 

Varys being a Blackfyre also helps explain why he was so keen to help Aerys turn against Rhaegar. All contemporary accounts except for Bobby B suggest Rhaegar would have been a just and good king (and Bobert is horribly biased because he is incapable of not thinking with his dick about Lyanna!) If Varys is really after a good king to be on the Iron Throne, why not support Rhaegar? Because Rhaegar was a Red Dragon still. Varys' role with Aerys was to set up things that the Red Dragons would be taken from the Iron Throne, and a holding pattern of Baratheons could be set up until such time as FAegon was old enough to challenge - to put a Black Dragon on the Throne. 

b ) why Lyanna, a seemingly healthy young woman, died in childbirth (multiple births = increased risks of shit going wrong) 
it doesn't explain why Varys and Illyrio are so obsessed with seeing Aegon on the Throne. They don't even acknowledge the presence of Jon - is this because they don't know about him (unlikely, if they know about Aegon and Aegon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son) or because they don't care?

The Golden Company never had a contract to support Daenerys.

^^ Most likely they have a contract to help Illyrio, and they'll support any "dragon" he tells them to support. They WERE supposed to help her conquer Westeros, per Illyrio's instruction that is.

IF R+L=YG in some way, I'm curious if JonCon knows. I think he might know something about R+L; he introduced Aegon as Rhaegar's "firstborn son." If not, how might he react if Aegon is part Stark? How would Aegon react? Do they carry any animosity towards the Starks?

In regards to Illyrio/Varys plot as a whole, I think the two are up their old tricks: stealing something of value (Aegon) and giving it back for a price (political control of Westeros). Once Aegon gains control of Westeros, Illyrio (who is likely a Blackfyre or of Blackfyre descent) and his other political and financial connections (who are likely also descendants of the other "Ninepenny Kings") will gain a strong political foothold in Westeros. Aegon has already been groomed to deal with them. Just look at the languages Tyrion reports him being fluent in: Tyroshi, Lysene, Myrish, and the trade talk if sailors.

In regards to Illyrio/Varys plot as a whole, I think the two are up their old tricks: stealing something of value (Aegon) and giving it back for a price (political control of Westeros).

This gives us another potential interpretation of "mummer's dragon." A dragon is also a coin: beware the coin, the payment that Varys (the mummer) will request in return for aiding the Targaryen restoration.

^^ Most likely they have a contract to help Illyrio, and they'll support any "dragon" he tells them to support. They WERE supposed to help her conquer Westeros, per Illyrio's instruction that is.

IF R+L=YG in some way, I'm curious if JonCon knows. I think he might know something about R+L; he introduced Aegon as Rhaegar's "firstborn son." If not, how might he react if Aegon is part Stark? How would Aegon react? Do they carry any animosity towards the Starks?

In regards to Illyrio/Varys plot as a whole, I think the two are up their old tricks: stealing something of value (Aegon) and giving it back for a price (political control of Westeros). Once Aegon gains control of Westeros, Illyrio (who is likely a Blackfyre or of Blackfyre descent) and his other political and financial connections (who are likely also descendants of the other "Ninepenny Kings") will gain a strong political foothold in Westeros. Aegon has already been groomed to deal with them. Just look at the languages Tyrion reports him being fluent in: Tyroshi, Lysene, Myrish, and the trade talk if sailors.

They surely had the contract with Illyrio, writ in blood, but Daenerys was never the intended beneficiary...

We came to raise up a king and queen who would lead us home to Westeros, but this Targaryen girl seems more intent on planting olive trees than in reclaiming her father's throne. 

So, they came to raise a king and queen, but they abruptly abandoned that queen to seize her father's throne for Aegon. 

The logical reason to disguise a Blackfyre as a Targ would be to gain support from Targ loyalists left in Westeros. No one would support a Blackfyre.

How is that remotely logical when you yourself pointed out in the previous post that no one would be believe he was a Targaryen? The Tyrells were the biggest and strongest Targ loyalists and they clearly are not buying Aegon's story.

Disguising a BF a Targ boy who's widely believed to be dead serves no purpose at all. It's really quite idiotic.

Varys being a woman and being the mother solves a few of the problems.

How is that remotely logical when you yourself pointed out in the previous post that no one would be believe he was a Targaryen? The Tyrells were the biggest and strongest Targ loyalists and they clearly are not buying Aegon's story.

Disguising a BF a Targ boy who's widely believed to be dead serves no purpose at all. It's really quite idiotic.

The Tyrells don't buy it because it suits their purposes not to.  If they are Targ loyalists and Rhaegar's son is alive, then Margaery being married to the "son" of the Usurper is a problem.  They've wed her to three males with the last name of Baratheon.  If Aegon is real, they could be in deep trouble should he take the throne.

It's only idiotic if they fail. If they pull it off, then it's brilliant.  But since we don't know whether he's a BF or not, it's a moot point.

1. Being a dragon under the control of a mummer is not the same as being a total fake.  And in-story there is another thing that doesn't get talked about much in this...the Targ who is a true dragon.  Viserys liked to call himself a dragon, but Jorah comments that Rhaegar was the last dragon.  Aegon can be exactly who he thinks he is and still not be a "dragon" the way that Rhaegar was.

2. Stronger than blood could mean stronger than Blackfyre blood, couldn't it?  

-Bittersteel was fighting for his brother's descendants.  Daemon BF, Aegor BS, Brynden BR, Shiera SS, Daeron II, and the first Daenerys, and several others all had the same father--Aegon the Skank.  Your history is wrong by the way.  Daemon was the legitimized Targaryen bastard who claimed the throne on the pretext that Aegon IV's son by his wife was actually fathered by someone else...a claim with no basis in fact that anyone can tell.  The very fact that the Blackfyre dragon is black on a red background indicates that they were founded by a bastard.  Bastards use the same arms with inverted colors.  Targs are red on black. Blackfyres are black on red.

-Illyrio's words can also be taken to mean that the GC would support a Targaryen at this point because, as he says, "a dragon is a dragon."  When ALL Targs are displaced it would be a good time to drop the feud and get the Iron Throne back.

-they don't have a contract with Dany.  They broke a contract they did have with someone else to support both Aegon AND Dany.  Dany didn't show.  Why support Aegon?  He's offering to take them home.  They are exiles.  They're tired of wandering Essos fighting other peoples' fights.  They want to go home.  They might not care if he was Aegon Smizharykovvzaa from Norvos.  Why support Aegon?  Because he's there and he's promising to take them home and maybe they can get back the lands lost by their forebears who fought for Daemon.

Illyrio already has two motivations that make sense.  Aegon stayed at his manse when he was little and he became fond of the boy.  And he stands to gain a hell of a lot of money, with a side of influence if Aegon retakes Westeros.  He'll get all the cheese contracts that come across the Narrow Sea from the moment Aegon's butt hits that ugly metal chair.

We have no information that says Varys was "keen" to help Aerys turn on Rhaegar.  People are fond of attributing all kinds of things to Varys (myself included) but it requires imagination because what the text says is minimal.  All we know about Varys in the Aerys mess is that he did the job he was hired for--smart move considering the boss enjoyed burning disappointing employees for entertainment--and was blamed for things he may have had nothing to do with.  The characters think that Varys made Aerys crazy.  I say hiring him in the first place was a symptom of how crazy Aerys  had become.  He trusted his own people so little that he brought in a foreigner and a eunuch to become head spy.  Aerys' instability started way before Varys showed up.  V-man was a latecomer to the circus of Westerosi politics under Targaryen rule.  We have nothing to indicate he did anything to undermine ANY Targaryen.  And quite frankly when you take into account information from the Dunk and Egg stories, it becomes very easy to believe that Varys himself is of Targ blood.

Are you seriously suggesting that Varys somehow made Aerys crazy enough to hire him as Master of Whisperers so that he could engineer the brutal deaths of all the Targaryens only to claim that one of them had survived as a way to put a Blackfyre on the throne?  Seriously?  The amount of foresight that would require is on the prophetic scale.  Varys is not Bloodraven.  The only way that works is if baby Aegon's face-smashing is a foregone conclusion.  It also requires Varys to know in advance that Rhaegar is going to abduct Lyanna, that Brandon is going to be an idiot, that Rickard and a bunch of Northmen and their sons are going to be slaughtered, that Aerys is going to ask for Robert and Ned's heads, that Rhaegar is going to die in the war, that Tywin is going to double-cross Aerys, that Tywin's henchmen are going to kill Elia and both her children...do you see how impossible that would be?  Cause there is no way they could march in openly with a Blackfyre and expect the people of Westeros to rise for their guy.

Where is there any evidence that Varys wouldn't have supported Rhaegar as king?  Rhaegar never made the move to depose his father, so what exactly do you think Varys should have done, knock the king out and tie him up in a dungeon then declare the prince king?  It's certainly not Varys' fault that Rhaegar died.  He was nowhere near there.  

Honestly, Varys begged Aerys not to open the gates to Tywin.  Is that the act of a man who wanted the Targaryens out of the picture?

For crying out loud, women die in single births even today.  Jon doesn't need a twin for Lyanna to die as a result of complications of childbirth.

Think for a minute about Aegon being Jon's twin.  Who would be the first person to know?  Ned.  Where does he go immediately after that whole ToJ thing is settled?  Starfall...the castle of known Targaryen supporters.  Let's say one twin has the Stark look, Ned can claim the kid is his.  And the other one has the silver hair even if they can't tell about the purple eyes yet.  They have to get him out of Westeros because fresh in Ned's mind are his promise to his sister to keep her children safe, and the memory of Robert's reaction to the corpses of Elia's children.  What's the best way to keep both babies safe?  Make sure nobody knows that they are twins.  So Ashara fakes her death to take Aegon somewhere safe and never breathes a word that he has a twin brother.  The whole twin idea stems from a comment about Jon's parentage having a Star Wars-like thing about it.  In Star Wars neither Luke nor Leia has any idea that they are twins, and neither do most of the other characters.  With secrets the fewer people who know, the better.

But let's say that V & I know about Jon.  To put him on the throne would absolutely REQUIRE that they explain that he's Rhaegar's son by Lyanna.  Can of worms = opened.  First there's the were they married question.  Then there's the issue of whether or not the marriage would count.  Then there's the problem of everyone in Westeros "knowing" that Jon is Ned's bastard son.  So much easier to take the kid with the Valyrian looks and simplify things by claiming he's the older Aegon who was swapped to safety.

And let's not forget that it's entirely possible that the swap actually did take place, just as Varys said, and Aegon actually is *that* Aegon.

Are you seriously suggesting that Varys somehow made Aerys crazy enough to hire him as Master of Whisperers so that he could engineer the brutal deaths of all the Targaryens only to claim that one of them had survived as a way to put a Blackfyre on the throne?  Seriously? 

No, I'm not SERIOUSLY suggesting that. This is, for me, the biggest problem with the idea that Varys came to Westeros intent on ... doing something with the Iron Throne. 

If Varys was so keen to see a sensible ruler on the Throne, why not Rhaegar? 

If Varys was so keen to see a Targaryen on the Throne, why provide Aerys with the ammunition to so spectacularly blow up his realm and more or less invite rebellion? 

If Varys was so keen to see a Blackfyre on the Throne.... where does he fit? 

The whole thing doesn't make sense, from any angle. Pisswater Prince swap smells fishy, Blackfyre plot smells fishy, the whole thing smells fishy. 

Until such time as GRRM publishes the next book, we're stuck with fishy. 

The least fishy thing is: 

• why Varys came to Westeros to be the Master of Whispers for Aerys is a mystery. Perhaps he was just good at his job and hired on that basis? 
  • Varys and Illyrio clearly have a history and a plan to do... something with the Iron Throne. For most of the books, we don't know what. 
  • By ADWD it's clear that "something" is to install Aegon VI, ostensibly bred from Targaryen stock and raised to rule sensibly
  • Why does a cheesemonger from Pentos care about the Iron Throne? Enter the Blackfyre theory.
  • Where does Varys fit into the Blackfyre theory? Not sure
  • He's either invested in it through blood or money - or a higher purpose (i.e. religion? Faceless Men? Citadel? Magic??? Fire/Ice??) 
  • His enthusiasm suggests blood or magic/religion/whatever rather than money is the main motivator
  • throughout the associated media (TWOIAF, Dunk and Egg etc) we have this civil war between Aegon the Unworthy's bastard Daemon Blackfyre and the "Red Dragons" of the legitimate (or supposedly legitimate) Targaryens. 
  • Obviously Red v Black is important, somehow.

"Red or black, a dragon's still a dragon" is just too big a nod to BF to discount. Especially when tied to "some contracts are writ in ink, some in blood" - those are the two main quotes that suggest a Blackfyre conspiracy of some kind to me. 

Everything else - Aegon could just be some kid they've groomed to believe he is the real Aegon. But add those two remarks from Illyrio, and his otherwise inexplicable interest in the boy, and then the Blackfyre theory makes sense. I just haven't a clue where Varys sits in it. 

We know Varys cares for lowborn children (or at least takes them under his wing).

And further he seems to care about the “innocents” of the realm, the children

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:

“What I can do, I will,” the one with the torch said softly. “I must have gold, and another fifty birds.”
She let them get a long way ahead, then went creeping after them. Quiet as a shadow.
“So many?” The voices were fainter as the light dwindled ahead of her. “
The ones you need are hard to find … so young, to know their letters … perhaps older … not die so easy …”
“No. The younger are safer … treat them gently …”
“… if they kept their tongues …
“… the risk …”

Varys himself being a BF solves some the holes with his story. If he were were a woman and Aegons mother, that solves a couple more

Maybe its possible that Aegon is "All of the Above" and "none of the above".

If someone wants a BF they claim he is a BF.
If someone wants a Targ, he is the rescued prince.

Archived