The Night's King's next moves

gash

"Night’s King was only a man by light of day, Old Nan would always say, but the night was his to rule. And it’s getting dark."

If the long night 2.0 is coming then NK is coming with it.

"Those old histories are full of kings who reigned for hundreds of years, and knights riding around a thousand years before there were knights. You know the tales, Brandon the Builder, Symeon Star-Eyes, Night’s King"

Symeon Star-Eyes is an example of a knight who was riding about thousands of years before there were knights so Bran the Builder and Night's King are probably examples of kings of reigned for hundreds of years, so probably not ordinary mortals.

Ned - "The Others are as dead as the children of the forest, gone eight thousand years."

Robert - "The Wall has stood for what, eight thousand years?"

Jon - "The Others are only a story, a tale to make children shiver. If they ever lived at all, they are gone eight thousand years", "For eight thousand years the men of House Stark had lived and died to protect their people against such ravagers and reavers … and bastard-born or no, the same blood ran in his veins."

Jeor Mormont - "The Long Night has come before. Oh, eight thousand years is a good while, to be sure … yet if the Night’s Watch does not remember, who will?"

Bran - "He was old enough to know that it was not truly him they shouted for—it was the harvest they cheered, it was Robb and his victories, it was his lord father and his grandfather and all the Starks going back eight thousand years."

Sansa - "Lord of Winterfell, Hand of the King, Warden of the North, the mighty Eddard Stark, of a line eight thousand years old …"

The age of the wall, the NW, House Stark and the disappearance of the others are all said to be eight thousand years. There is no clear time line, it seems they all happened around the same time. However we have NK sacrificing to Others after the NW has been started and 12 LCs have come and gone so it is likely that NK, the wall and the NW existed during the long night and not after. It is confusing.

This is interesting.... but what if "8000" years is not actually meant as an estimation, but as a saying?

With "Seven" being an important number, "Eight" in his context might just be a way of emphasizing that the time span is truly beyond measure..... if you catch my meaning...

My guess is the time line is partially based on oral tradition and partially on Maesters and Septons trying to make sense of the oral tradition once the Andals had introduced writing and there were insterest in writing chronicles of the Age of Heroes.

This.

I also agree that "8000 years" may not literally be 8000 years. It could simply mean "a really long time." And 8 could hold some special significance going way back. The long forgotten, unspoken of 8th aspect of the god of Westeros? Possibly. Although the Stranger sort of fits the description of the Great Other. So it may mean something else entirely. Or nothing at all.

Since the red priests fight with flaming swords, and constantly preach against the "Great Other, whose name must not be spoken," and Mel seemsto be prepping for a great stand against the Others and their host of wights, it definitely seems like they are meant to be a figurative representation of the polar opposite of the Others, but I agree that the actual representation of the opposite end of the spectrum upon which the Others reside would be dragons; they are even referred to as "fire made life," and are a supernatural answer to all the Others seem to represent and bring with them.

Regarding chronology and the NK, if the theory (seems to be based mostly on the show spoiler, which I find pretty credible based on HBO's quick fix and the circumstantial evidence) is true about him being the Great Other's right hand, King of the Others, or still around and with the Others in general, the NK need not be the only Other with the ability to turn a human baby boy into an Other. All Others are able to create wights, and in fact seem to be magical/supernatural beings themselves. The ceremony could easily be a ritual that could be performed, potentially, by any Other on any baby boy.

IMHO, he could simply be the one performing the ceremony because he is of the highest rank of those present (the Other he left fell in love with could have been a literal Queen of the Others), as would be the usual case. I guess I feel like the Others existing before the NK isn't enough reason to discount the theory, there are plausible scenarios that would explain this, I feel.

Which came first, the dragon or the egg?

Also, how could the Last Hero be the NK and the 13th LC of the NW if he was around during the Long Night, before (and probably during) the founding of the Order? Anyway, I think the LH is Coldhands. I don't mean he will be the LH, I think he was. It would explain the Child's comment about Coldhands dying so long ago, at the end of one of the Bran chapters after Old Nan originally tells Bran the story (without being able to finish,) Bran remembers the end of the story, that tCotF helped him. Perhaps this would help explain how he is appears to be a wight but with different characteristics (as opposed to him being a "warged wight." The LH was likely a founding member of the NW, or perhaps aided the first members, which would account possibly for him referring to Sam as "brother." He also rides an elk like the Children, and seems to be the one who controls the ravens about him...I like the idea that Coldhands isn't being controlled by BR, so I like to think he's the Last Hero of The Long Night.

/spoiler/

Because HBO messed up and leaked that the goofy horned WW at the end of one of the episodes was the NK, then retracted the posting about ten mins later, but not before a WHOLE BUNCH of people got screencaps of it. Sooooooo, by this we are lead to believe that the NK is the leader, he was the one who changed the baby, and he was the center point of that circle of 13......

I tried the spoiler thing anyways..........

people keep claiming hbo spoiled it but I can't find it anywhere

really? i can site numerous articles online if you like. You can see Night King's than the next day HBO actually erased it and put White Walker. Richard Brake who played the NK is sited as Night's King for the appearance.

Richard Brake acting credit….

Game of Thrones (TV Series) Night King - Oathkeeper (2014) ... Night King

Bearded Dragon @nathanrhysjones Apr 29 @richardbrake Awesome scene! Congrats! White Walkers are amazing! Will we be seeing more of you??

Richard Brake @richardbrake Apr 29 @JonasRJakobsen Thanks! You will be seeing more of me, not sure when but I was told the character I play is very important.

Bearded Dragon @nathanrhysjones Apr 29 @richardbrake There’s a rumor that your character is called the Night’s King, is there anything truth to this?

Richard Brake @richardbrake Apr 29 @JonasRJakobsen I don’t want to give anything away, the writers have chosen to keep it a secret, but if you look at my head I am wearing something that a “king” would wear.

Bearded Dragon @nathanrhysjones Apr 29 @richardbrake Omg! Wow.

Archived