My God, this is a strange and fickle land.

Wmarshal

Pfff, Tyrells are no turncloaks. Well, I mean, they kinda are, but they haven't really betrayed anyone in the process. The stupid Gardener was dead when they yielded Highgarden, and Renly was dead when they joined the Lannisters.

Roose and the Freys take the cake. And Brown Ben Plumm

the starks.

ned tried to usurp the rightful king.

robb rose up in rebellion.

sansa is off playing silly beggars.

robb chose the wall over his family even if he is a bastard.

bran is off on some mystical adventure with no notion of reclaiming his family honor.

catelyn honors only murder now.

arya dropped her family's gods for some pagan nonsense in the east and again, only honors murder now.

the starks.

ned tried to usurp the rightful king.

robb rose up in rebellion.

sansa is off playing silly beggars.

robb chose the wall over his family even if he is a bastard.

bran is off on some mystical adventure with no notion of reclaiming his family honor.

catelyn honors only murder now.

arya dropped her family's gods for some pagan nonsense in the east and again, only honors murder now.

Do you even know what turncloak means?

Lysa Arryn. Not only did she poison her husband, she betrayed her sister's trust in a way that helped engineer the entire WOT5K (which she then refused to help defend her family lands in), and seems to have shown zero remorse for the demise of most of her family. Oh, and she couldn't even be bothered to write a letter when her dad was dying and tried to kill one of her dead sister's kids for entirely petty reasons.

I know this woman went through a whole series of problems that would have broken plenty of people (and could be forgiven for not having kind thoughts about her dad), but in a world where family is supposed to be everything, that all is pretty turncloack-y in my book.

The Tyrells ain't no turncloaks! What they did is not technically the definition of "turncloak". They just changed sides only after their king died and chose the most advantageous side. The biggest turncloaks are the Freys and the Boltons who are literally in no one's allegiance but their own. If you're going to go even further than that, most sellswords and sellsword companies.

Archived