Lollys Stokeworth Appreciation Thread

Mithras

I guess I skimmed over the part where she cried at Sansa's wedding. I didn't know that she had such a bond with her, or even that she was capable of understanding what was going on around her. I guess it's been a long time since I read the books. I feel so sad for her now :(

I don't think she cried for Sansa though, it is noted that after what happened to her she was crying all the time and didn't want to leave her chambers at all. It makes sense, she is afraid of people let alone the crowds of Joffrey's wedding, poor girl...

ETA: I have very little to say about Lollys, she suffered through a terrible ordeal, but there just isn't enough characterization to say much about her. She seems mainly to be there for other characters' reactions to her.

This is correct, I think. She is among the most innocent definitely, but there is nothing more to say about her as a character.

She is mentally challenged in a time of no therapy, understanding of the difficulties surrounding said mental challenge and she probably has PTSD from getting gang raped by at least 50 men, possibly twice that amount. She has a whole host of reasons to cry, weddings or no.

I don't think she cried for Sansa though, it is noted that after what happened to her she was crying all the time and didn't want to leave her chambers at all. It makes sense, she is afraid of people let alone the crowds of Joffrey's wedding, poor girl...

I agree. I don't think that she was that close to Sansa in order to feel sorry for her.

I think that this wasn't the first time that Lollys was present to a wedding, and it is likely that

she knows what happens after the bedding, or at least her mother and sister might have explained

it to her.

Being forced to leave the safety of her room, probably brought back all those horrible memories.

I think we can learn a lot about central characters in light of their reaction to Lolly. Tyrion's cruel and heartless "witty" remarks about her first made me fully understand his flaws. Same applies to Cersei and Shae. Sansa on the other hand, who often is derided as shallow mean girl, treats Lollys with compassion and respect something that Lollys arguably notices - hence her crying at Sansa's wedding.

Oh and this is my 666th post. Nice :cool4:

I don't know how much respect Sansa has for Lollys; since the Stokeworths are not her social equal; but Sansa does use her usual courtesy with Lollys and stops in her own course to try to help the frightened woman. And she never mocks Lollys even in her thoughts.

I don't know how much respect Sansa has for Lollys; since the Stokeworths are not her social equal; but Sansa does use her usual courtesy with Lollys and stops in her own course to try to help the frightened woman. And she never mocks Lollys even in her thoughts.

Sansa is certainly kinder to her than just about everybody else we see interact with or even hear talking about Lollys. Which is sad really, but shouldn't be that surprising - she has some experience with or at least knowledge of mentally challenged people being treated with respect and given value [in a positive sense!] from Winterfell (Hodor! Yay, I got to use the otherwise slightly obnoxious shoutout in a relevant post and context).

Besides, Sansa was almost raped in that riot and lived the horror herself. Tyrion's fury was all about Cersei and Joffrey. I think his kindness to Sansa is mainly due to his deep hatred towards Cersei and Joffrey, not because of his chivalrous spirit.

Cersei is actually the one who has given Bronn the keys to Stokeworth by killing Falyse which really made him Lord Stokeworth. Also as Ser Balman challenged Bronn to single combat and then confessed Cersei's intent to get rid of him no one can say Bronn was just out to take Stokeworth from the start, he was acting defensively.

Lollys will have the same claim on Rosby that Falyse claimed she had so she may get those lands as well that now that Cersei has worked Lord Gyles to death and denied his ward the inheritance.

Did Ser Balman have any living relatives? If not Lollys could have a claim on his lands.

Why would Bronn want to plot against Cersei when he is doing so well under her? He and Lollys can just sit back and accumulate.

It would be funny if Lollys became one of the most powerful women in the seven kingdoms just by staying out of the game.

If Lollys and Bronn were to control Rosby and Stokeworth they would be the main force in the Crownlands that's not the capitol. If the Reach alliance ever goes to fudge, they will control whether King's Landing starves or not!

I am loving this :D

Can't really imagine Bronn hurting her tbh, not because hes a good person, but I dont think hes a monster.

He's also not a moron. Lollys is his meal ticket. Rule #1 of being a sellsword is don't bite the hand that pays you.

I'm not going to claim he really cares about her deep down (I think he's too mercenary for that, in general) but he has every self-serving reason in the world to be very invested in taking care of her and treating her well and pursuing her best interests. And, as people have pointed out in this thread, her socio-political stock is actually rising.

Bronn has in essence Won The Game Of Thrones and it's all due to her. And he knows that.

He's also not a moron. Lollys is his meal ticket. Rule #1 of being a sellsword is don't bite the hand that pays you.

I'm not going to claim he really cares about her deep down (I think he's too mercenary for that, in general) but he has every self-serving reason in the world to be very invested in taking care of her and treating her well and pursuing her best interests. And, as people have pointed out in this thread, her socio-political stock is actually rising.

Bronn has in essence Won The Game Of Thrones and it's all due to her. And he knows that.

Yes. I can't imagine that Bronn would be a great husband, but I doubt if he would be deliberately cruel to her either.

Exactly. The author doesn't either judge her or degrade her. He uses her character to allow the readers an insight into the medieval mind and the individuals that populate Westeros. People who make fun of her are likely to be judged harshly by the reader. Book readers dislike Shae and, to some extent, Tyrion for the way they talk or think about her.

It says a lot about Shae that she drives Lollys "like a beast" and says to Tyrion "all they did was fuck her." And, a lot about Tyrion that he thinks her gang-rape was funny.

If Lollys and Bronn were to control Rosby and Stokeworth they would be the main force in the Crownlands that's not the capitol. If the Reach alliance ever goes to fudge, they will control whether King's Landing starves or not!

I am loving this :D

I want this to happen so bad. I always liked bronn's character following tyrion around everywhere. If Bronn were to control Rosby and stokeworth, that would be soo entertaining. he could cause so much trouble in the crownlands. And correct me if I'm wrong but don't Rosby and stokeworth lie right next to each other? That could make Bronn a great lord by the time tyrion lannister returns. Their lands are untouchd by war, the rosby inheritance seems pretty substantial, and they seem to have a good amount of food as they've been supplying much of the food in kings landing. That could be a pretty useful for an invading army. Coincidentally Tyrion just joined the second sons...... :drool:

I want this to happen so bad. I always liked bronn's character following tyrion around everywhere. If Bronn were to control Rosby and stokeworth, that would be soo entertaining. he could cause so much trouble in the crownlands. And correct me if I'm wrong but don't Rosby and stokeworth lie right next to each other? That could make Bronn a great lord by the time tyrion lannister returns. Their lands are untouchd by war, the rosby inheritance seems pretty substantial, and they seem to have a good amount of food as they've been supplying much of the food in kings landing. That could be a pretty useful for an invading army. Coincidentally Tyrion just joined the second sons...... :drool:

For a more shameless plug on this shameless plug, see my shameless plug :D

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109824-bronn-and-lollys-being-a-deciding-factor-in-danys-conquest/

Archived