Non book reader here, Picking Jamie is too much of a Liability for Tyrion, because he WILL loose, and you cant bet on Tywin to step in and overrule the trial. When would he step in and do something? when Jamie has a sword through the chest?

Either way if Tyrion picks Jamie, they both die, which would "Stick it to the man" so to speak, but what good is that when your dead? Tyrion has repeatadly said that he has no intention of dying just yet anyway.

Cersei wants Tyrion Dead at all costs, so picking Jamie is not a good idea either, i have got the vibe they arn't as close since he returned to the capital, with the whole you left me thing, also i dont think the rape done anything to gain rapport with her. Perhaps she also wants him dead, but not as much as Tyrion.

EIther way Tywin is in a pretty crappy position, where its either one of his sons, or both could die.

I think Cersei will pick the one person who can guarantee that Tyrion dies, and that is the Lannisters most feared bannerman, the Mountain. As others have said i doubt that tyrion would even need to ask Oberyn, but the question remains if he can fight or not? I cant remember if his reputation in fighting precedes him, but id assume so.

Cant believe people thought the episode was boring, not all the scenes can be about tavern wenches and great battles with dragons and white walkers!

Oh and Bronn is not going to chosen dam it!

Everything you say makes sense.

We can also imagine a Bronn vs Jaime duel that would mirror the training scenes they had.

But the duel wouldn't be interesting as Jaime stands no chance...

Tywin may not overrule the trial, but we don't know how far he can bend the rules to ensure his position...

What exactly did Bronn say when Tyrion asked him if he'd gotten Shae off on the boat? I don't remember the specifics, but at the time I remember feeling very skeptical and that Bronn did a lot of not explicitily saying "yea, she's on the boat and she's gone for good."

I think Bronn has ceased to be Tyrion's guy.

He said he'd seen her on the ship. The Tyrion asks if he's seen the ship sail away and Bronn avoids the questions saying "She's fine, now go drink..."

So yes, when I saw this moment I thought things weren't over with Shae, yet.

Next episode may tell us if Bronn is still in Tyrion's service.

Non book reader here.

My immediate reaction was that Tyrion would get Bron to fight anyone they picked.

However Oberyn vs The Mountain could be the real outcome so Oberyn can get revenge he wants, and he is supposed to be a deadly fighter!

Plus, in previews for this season and next week, we keep getting glimpses of The Mountain.

Also, in the season preview, there's a shot of Oberyn in some sort of battle where's he's pulling off some acrobatic maneuvers.

I'm not sure how the logistics are going to work out, but it seems pretty obvious that the trial by combat is going to come down to Oberyn vs The Mountain.

after everything that has happened to theon, can't blame him too much, but he is a little bitch

now he's going to pretend to escape or whatever and go to that one castle ramsey is trying to take over and somehow let them in

and yeah the ironborn were pretty weak, can imagine dogs being tough to fight, but you are just going to run away right when it happens?

dany's storyline is still pretty weak, guess it's supposed to show how she is struggling with her newfound power, she is trying to rule in mereen but what about the other cities?

expected to see something about the night's watch with john returning to the wall and gaining more power, maybe that will happen next episode

oberyn vs the mountain is definitely going to be the two that fight, just a matter of how it ends up that way

First time poster here. Been watching the series from Japan. Love this series and finally had to start reading the books, although I'm still in the first book. Have no idea who Tyrion will pick but the chapter title for episode eight is The Mountain and The Viper. Isn't Oberyn known as the Red viper or something because he puts poison on his swords when he fights? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? That fight would be EPIC. Can't wait to see Tywin's face when/if Oberyn agrees to fight for Tyrion.

A hand to hand fight between Cersei and Tyrion themselves would be the most entertaining though.

What exactly did Bronn say when Tyrion asked him if he'd gotten Shae off on the boat? I don't remember the specifics, but at the time I remember feeling very skeptical and that Bronn did a lot of not explicitily saying "yea, she's on the boat and she's gone for good."

I think Bronn has ceased to be Tyrion's guy.

Bronn never denied the fact that he'd work for money. Not for anyone in particular, but for those who paid him. So I think it's a pretty safe bet he did work for Tywin when deciding to hand over Shae. I imagine his choice was to either take the Gold, or die. Bronn took the gold.

Then again there's the unpredictable Shae - she might very well have been put on the boat safely as promised, only to bail at the last minute. She might even have decided voluntarily to testify against Tyrion (in exchange for safety). - given her testimony at the trial, she's completely lost it. She had to say certain things to keep her end of the bargain obviously - but there were plenty of things she did not have to say. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...

Non book reader here.

My immediate reaction was that Tyrion would get Bron to fight anyone they picked.

However Oberyn vs The Mountain could be the real outcome so Oberyn can get revenge he wants, and he is supposed to be a deadly fighter!

Yeah that would be the most sensible thing - and incredibly clever of Tyrion. In my mind there's no doubt who would win; it was mentioned that Oberyn is a fearsome fighter. We've seen a glimpse of his skill in the brothel scene where he stabbed some Lannister in the hand. Mountain and the Viper for EP 8 seems a dead giveaway - after all Oberyn is only going to win through speed and smarts - though hopefully not actual poison - against the Mountain. The mountain is huge and impressive but he's got to be slow at that size. And he's dumb as a sack of rocks.

I seem to remember, too, that Oberyn gave some sort of speech in the brothel about the importance of speed.

Even if they were evenly matched fighters - and the Mountain sure is fantastic at killing other knights in tournaments - the advantage would lie with Oberyn. He's got a cause. In fact this is the opportunity of his lifetime to avenge his sister.

If tempers run too high somebody might choose Jamie. But as has been said Jamie will refuse to fight to kill his brother, and Tyrion won't choose him when he has Oberyn just itching to kill somebody.

Total speculation - I won't ever read the books, it would take away half the fun in watching my most favorite show ever - but I think Cersei will choose Jamie, he refuses, then she chooses the Mountain as that's the best fighter available. Then Tyrion chooses Oberyn and things will get awesome...

PS if this is the EP 8 title then what's EP 7? An hour of Denaerys running through the desert? Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Total speculation - I won't ever read the books, it would take away half the fun in watching my most favorite show ever

See and I'm considering starting to read. Because once this season is done I'm not sure I can wait all the time until the next season. ;)

but I think Cersei will choose Jamie, he refuses, then she chooses the Mountain as that's the best fighter available. Then Tyrion chooses Oberyn and things will get awesome...

I agree the fight will be Mountain vs Oberyn for reasons that have already been mentioned. But I can not see Cersei choosing Jamie. He only has his left hand, and apart from Tyrion and Bronn nobody knows he's even practising with it, therefore she would have to think he'd lose. Choosing Jamie thus would mean for Cersei to lose her one brother (and father of the king) and at the same time have Tyrion going free. She's evil not dumb.

PS if this is the EP 8 title then what's EP 7? An hour of Denaerys running through the desert? Ugh.

I know we're now all waiting for this fight but that's a little bit of an exaggeration. We have Arya, Brann, Jon, possibly the wildlings, the Vale - you could fill an episode with them, without Kings Landing, without Denaerys.

and yeah the ironborn were pretty weak, can imagine dogs being tough to fight, but you are just going to run away right when it happens?

I agree with that. Picking the best warriors, entering the castle no problem and then fleeing from the dogs? Not portrayed so well I think.

dany's storyline is still pretty weak, guess it's supposed to show how she is struggling with her newfound power, she is trying to rule in mereen but what about the other cities?

I actually thought that this short piece of her story were nicely done. In all the last episodes she always was the shining queen, idealistic liberator, everything was so easily divided between poor slaves and evil master, seemed you could just rush from city to city. Now she's realising that it's not black and white, and also that the day to day business of ruling is exhausting, difficult and tiresome. That only Mereen was shown doesn't matter, it is an example how it is one the one city, so considering she has to rule more cities it means her task is even more difficult.