[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

What do you think about Mace turned into a comic character ?

I don't mind it, it's quite funny, but Loras being branded as the "gayknight", Mace just the dumb lord who stills live in his mother's pants, and Willos and Garlan cut out, not so much love for the Tyrell boys...

that wouldn't surprise me. after all, we already had tywin order her to be brought to his rooms in a prior episode. plus they are making cersei way more sympathetic.

But we know that Cersei was the one to procure Shae.

I don't mind it, it's quite funny, but Loras being branded as the "gayknight", Mace just the dumb lord who stills live in his mother's pants, and Willos and Garlan cut out, not so much love for the Tyrell boys...

In TV-Westeros, poor Mace may never have a grandchild...

It's a bit much. A house whose men were so brazenly disrespected by everybody would not get anywhere, no matter how skilled its ladies were, in a society like Westeros.

Edited by Colonel Green

Part of me thinks Tywin will kill Shae and that's why Tyrion kills him.

That would make no sense within the storyline though, with them having Shae have a similar role as in the books where she publicly betrays him at the trial. It almost certainly goes down just like in the books now.

Awaiting the complaints about how this final scene white washes Tyrion even further... -_-

Really good episode. I appreciate that several episodes this season have allowed one sequence to be the focus of the last half hour of the show. Strong performance by Peter Dinklage as he managed to put over a scary mad Tyrion. Also good performances by Liam Cunningham, Alfie Allen and Conleth Hill.

I enjoyed the Dreadfort battle until Ramsay pulled a Mr. Burns and released the hounds. Yara's trip seemed to be a Battle at Craster's Keep diversion although certainly more entertaining than a lot of the Ironborn stuff. I'm curious to see how things go from here.

Loved the shot of the Titan although I think that shot of the Meereen castle impressed me the most. I have to say the guy playing Hizdhar was very good and I liked his scene with Dany.

I'm not a fan of turning Mace into a comic character either. He might be a bumbling fool that everyone works around. But the point is he's not supposed to think he's a bumbling fool and lackey.

My initial thoughts:

I loved Braavos in the opening, it was very cute. The Braavos scene itself though, kind of weird. But still good. And very shiny. And I'm happy they showed Salla again. I don't know why, I just can't get enough of that guy :P

YarAsha storming the Dreadfort seemed like the most pointless thing in the history of everything. Maybe it's just me but that whole scene was completely useless aside from letting us remember that YarAsha exists (and is suddenly very dumb). Run into the fort, battle a little, run away. Done.

I like Tyrion's trial. That Shae stuff was great.

And Oberyn was on fire this episode. Cute, sexy, everything :wub: I only wish the episode ended with him announcing he'd champion for Tyrion.

When TV Hizdahr said, "I pray you may never live to see a member of your family treated so cruelly," all I could think of was Viserys being killed by Drogo.

I kind of loved the scene with Dany smoothing over the goatherd matter and being all pleased with herself, only to be cut down to size by the confrontation with Hizdahr.

Edited by Newstar

Dinklage/Tyrion performance and Alfie/Theon both had me with goosebumps! what amazing performances. Though the script really has my nerves crawling with tension... yep great performances!!!

Edited by Dolorous Lothston

Someone give Peter Dinklage an oscar cause that was spot on.

I think you mean Emmy :cool4: .

But yeah, the people I was with this evening were very shocked. They really thought he was going to the Wall a la Ned Stark. I was quite pleased with the final scene.

I thought The Mountain was going to be in this episode. I can't wait for that.

Salladhor Saan. By definition this is already a great episode. Strong debut from Mark Gatiss as Chief Kneecapper of The Iron Bank.

Loved the rolling coin on the Braavos pop-up map.

Mace got lines! And then he got a quill. And the good parchment.

Varys/Oberyn needs to happen more, though we don't have much time. Reminded me of the Varys/Littlefinger throne room scenes, in all the good ways.

Asha's speech had me ready to headbutt somebody. They got into and out of that plot knot about as well as they could, the only way they could. She couldn't win, but she couldn't lose, ergo schmozz ending.

At least we got to see her ninja a dude with her axe. And it was a Dreadfort mook so we don't even have to feel bad about it :) Hopefully that'll be enough to tide me over until her next appearance halfway through Season 5 :D. That and speculating on if that one dude in her crew who never said anything and never got named will become Qarl The Maid someday.

You know who was tremendous in a spot I wasn't expecting? HIZDHAR. That dude knocked it out of the park and made Dany look (and feel) like a complete idiot in just a couple minutes. That's putting on a "killing them with kindness" clinic. Tremendous scene. Barristan had a nice I-Told-You-So look, too. That was a really great scene. AND, in those two minutes he did more to make me care about Meereen/Essos and the people in it/under Dany than GRRM did in 900 pages. Seeing is Believing I suppose.

LANCEL GOT MENTIONED~! HE SORTA STILL EXISTS. Ever briefly, I hoped he might show up as a prosecution witness. Why must you toy with my heart Game Of Thrones

Tommen recusing himself is a big LOL when his stand-in has an even bigger conflict of interest. Hint #1 that this is going to be the show trial we all knew it would be. Happy to see they kept in the gag where Oberyn sits up and gets really interested in Shae's testimony.

Liked Jaime's bargain. Makes sense from him, and from Tywin. Good explanation for why The Wall would be given to Tyrion as an option.

And then Peter Dinklage chewed the ever-living fuck out of the scenery. :D :D :D :D

Shae's return is scoring really high with the unsullied, pretty big "OMG" moment for a lot of them, they were ready to feel Tyrion's outrage right along with him. I loved the trial for that. Every witness just stirs the pot of outrage and bullshit for the audience, even knowing it's coming it was still effective. Helps that Meryn Trant is back to carry the "you look like a fooking ballsack" banner after Rast has fallen. God, Trant is such a horrible shit. Everybody, even the most minor of characters, is cast so well.

Edited by Sour Robin

I think you mean Emmy :cool4: .

But yeah, the people I was with this evening were very shocked. They really thought he was going to the Wall a la Ned Stark. I was quite pleased with the final scene.

I thought The Mountain was going to be in this episode. I can't wait for that.

He was in the preview.

Pycelle is also portrayed as a bumbling fool, but the show has gone to some lengths to show that that is an act. I feel they'll do the same to Mace at some point. He is a Tyrell afterall, so even if Olenna considers him a dumb oaf, that doesn't mean he isn't a top tier schemer and underhanded politico. Once Tywin is out of the picture, we'll probably see more of that side of Mace.