[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

Yara ought to kill Theon before made her escape, as a good sister, she should put her baby brother out of his misery

I have a feeling getting him to a weirwood is going to be important. Tho Dreadfort probably has several their significance is not yet clear.

I'm going to love the snow castle - though the High Heart witch dream isn't included I have hopes for as many of the other book parts they can wedge in. The whole ep could be that in a perfect world.

Edited by rmholt

I bet Balon Greyjoy is drinking in Pyke to all the guys and gals killed in the show while they're still alive in the books, Just chillin' in the castle waiting for the storm to kill him.

And since Mockingbird is the Ep 7, I already figured out this was gonna be the 'Only Cat' episode.

Man, look likes <z have :

E07 : Only Cat

E08 : Oberyn vs Gregor

E09 : The Battle at the Wall

E10 : Tywin dyin' + UnCat

We can say for sure this end of season is gonna kill the Internet.

Yessir. I'm sure Ygritte will be dying in 9 as well. .Should be a hell of a final 4 episodes.

I wonder who will take Donal Noyes place (please don't be Grenn :( )

• I kinda liked Stannis and the Iron Bank. Nice set up for the future and makes more sense than a random Banker coming to the Wall to seek out Stannis.

Yara -- I was looking forward to this. It's one of the book changes that I liked and I remember cheering when she said she was going for her brother. I felt the scene was very anticlimactic and gave the appearance that she easily lost her resolve. I get that she realized her brother was gone, but I thought they should have drawn out the fighting or shown them being attacked by the dogs. I would have gladly traded the Ramsay sex scene or the Sallador Saan storytelling to flesh out the Ironborn scene.

Loved Alfie's acting as Reek. I thought he nailed it. However, as someone else mentioned, he looked too healthy. Not sure what they could have done unless he pulled a Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club stunt and lost a lot of weight. However, I thought it was a makeup fail.

Dany scene. I really liked the approach to Hizdahr, but I could have waited until next season for his introduction, because he lines came at the expense of Jorah and Barristan having any lines or plot. Only thing is that I have a hard time believing that Dany would not want to marry him...I do hope they keep the part when the dragon eats a small child. That's an important moment for Dany

Trial -- LOVED IT. Liked Jaime bargaining with Tywin. This was a logical change given that they brought Jaime back so early (and he's had several interactions with his family). Glad they kept Oberyn interested in Shae and Tyrion's sex life (that always amused me). I have to say that the actress who played Shae looked very beautiful today and did a splendid job with her role. Peter Dinklage was awesome too. Is it just me or was his accent more normal in this episode and less affected? The only thing that annoyed me was the continually close-ups of Margaery. I get that she's an established actress and she has to be given screen time, but it felt odd to me to focus on her so much.

Anyone think Theon is going to meet up with Yara again at Moat Cailin? IDK, I have to think the Yara stuff was had some kind of purpose.
I'm really going to miss Oberyn. I hope he has a lot of scenes in the next episode. He was so good in this one. The way he sits, the way he talks. Yeah, the casting was on point.

OMG HNNNGH IM SO FREAKING OUT OVER THAT RIGHT NOW! We watched that preview and i shrieked with glee and was like "SNOOOWWW CASTLE!" My mum was all "wtf?" I told her that is a part of one of my favorite scenes in the series. I just hope they have some cool nostalgic voice overs for when she builds it.

ive seriously never been more excited for a scene in game of thrones. i have such high expectations for next weeks episode its ridiculous

The show begins its final ramp-up of the season. Definitely better than the last two episodes, but …

What I liked:

Trials and Tribulations: The trial was incredible; extraordinarily well done and the highlight of the episode. It took up about 20 minutes of the show so to have sych a long-run of extrodinary story is a very good thing. For those who know me from the board, they know I am actually a trial attorney and so I watched the episode with a different eye. Watching the farce of the trial and how it was inflicted on the accused and how that accused did not have the knowledge necessary to fight back reminds me – just a little – of being in court when people represent themselves under the false belief that, well, if they could JUST talk to the judge, the judge “would just know I’m innocent.” I hear that often and watching Tyrion get beaten up is reminiscent of that reality. Pretty much every aspect of the trial was well done, and I enjoyed the build.

Other notes from the trial:

-Huge reveal that many of us already knew- namely that Tywin was never, ever going to allow Tyrion to die; he was always going to send him to the Wall. But what’s one last twist of the knife?

-Tyrion’s reaction to Shae was perfect, especially how- just like in the book- he takes his venom out on those he saved and how much he regrets it (mostly out of spite).

-Jaime’s maneuver to keep his brother alive, once again, shows us how much this man loves his brother. The things he does for love. I also liked his interplay with Tywin and throwing at Tywin his own world-view. After all, who wouldn’t kill a King for a Lannister?

Theon the Pale: While its cliché, the show’s work on the Theon/Reak transformation has been fantastic. This episode finally included Asha/Yaya and I thought that fear and rebellion against “before” was executed flawlessly. Watching Theon frantically resist rescue made me believe that sort of thing was possible.

We Saw a Dragon: No, literally, that’s what qualifies for a good thing now that we are knee-deep in Post Storm-of-Swords GoT.

What I am on the Fence About:

Name: Stannis Baratheon,

Credit Score: 666 (but Rising): All things considered it was not a bad scene. The Iron Bank was as single-minded as, I guess, we all would hope responsible banks WOULD be. They laid out facts, not emotion and stuck Stannis where he lives: his small army, smaller holdings and 0-1 Battle Record since Robert was slain. And Davos’ impassioned response was excellent; well done…

.. .and I couldn't help but notice not delivered by Stannis. Look, I GET IT, they don’t like Stannis- D&D have ruined the character and made it so he’ll likely liberate the Wall just as MAnce decides to take the Black and dedicate himself to World Peace. But… would have killed D&D to have … you know… STANNIS say something convincing? Have him say what he is? Maybe get him to …. Do something? The annexation of all of Stannis’ wit (Stannis Ultra-Dry), the loss of his realization, growth and decency; the removal of his leadership etc- it knows no bounds. Now, in scenes that were not even IN the books, Stannis can’t be Stannis. Now DAVOS has to be Stannis.

Iron-Born: No Dogs Allowed: So, you raid this castle and you fight the the death in a gutty, dramatic battle, complete with huge pep talk at the start, you rush in and kill and die and make this huge incredible showing of determination and pride and bravery and courage and fucking balls-out heroism...

.... but FUCK RUN! THEY HAVE DOGS!!!!!!! Really? Did... did that really happen? So... dogs make the Ironborn run? Is that a thing now? Really?

-Boredom: Okay, I like how there is a tedium in being a dragon priestess and have to rule. Ruling- as Robert told us – can be very boring. She conquered her territories, she now has to rule it. I also DID like the audience with the man who just wanted to bury his (horrifying, slave-owning father who had plenty of chances to do the right thing, but conveniently waited until there was an Army of Unsullied and Three Dragons up his ass before he filed his objection) father. But havinga SCENE showing how boring things are … tends to remind viewers just how … BORING things are. Boredom does not always make for good TV.

What I Didn't Like:

Starvation Feast: Its not really one thing; and in some ways maybe its not ANYTHING. But… we’re past the Red and Purple Weddings, we are closing in on the last big event of the books (The Battle of the Wall); soon the last major characters we actually watch will be gone, OR (far worse) thrown to the Seven Winds without rhyme or reason. As the story grows more and more fragmented (not less and less) it will be harder and harder to tell this story. As FfC takes up more space (and bores us all to death); as Dany does less, as we flicker from Dorne to the Iron Isles to Cersei being … being all … Cersei … as these events take on less and less shape…

… the most popular show on pay-cable TV is headed for a huge backlash. And … and if the Jaime-Cersei rape; if Bran at Craster’s if this meandering at this slow pace … if this is what we have to look forward to… as we get less and less “original material” and more and more untethered whimsies… its harder and harder to see how this one is going to go.

Edited by Rockroi

Well that's ridiculous.

It didn't happen that way in the book and in the show it would still take less time to hike across Westeros.

But if they had succeeded they would have had to run all the way back across the continent whilst being pursued, whereas in the boat once they push off they're home free.

Yara ought to kill Theon before made her escape, as a good sister, she should put her baby brother out of his misery

She was way too butthurt to consider that. That, and im pretty sure she isnt leaving the area just yet.

We need to have her rip the head off Sweetrobin's doll and put it on a spike too. Please!

Oooh i really hope they do.

But if they had succeeded they would have had to run all the way back across the continent whilst being pursued, whereas in the boat once they push off they're home free.

Why did this Terry Gilliam cartoon pursuit scene trot through my head :)