[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

Yeah, off the top of my head I can think of 3 reasons:

- Kill the fucker that did that to Theon. You know, the whole point of her entire mission

- Put poor Theon out of his misery

- Get the fuck out of there in one piece

She ultimately can't save Theon if Theon is unwilling to save himself. She'd just be throwing her life and her men's lives away for nothing (yes, even more so than the men she already lost during the raid. Sunk Costs Fallacy, etc.)

Just like when she tried to get him to retreat from Winterfell.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109755-book-spoilers-ep406-discussion/page-17#entry5771063

Again, from a narrative standpoint we knew she couldn't rescue Theon yet also could not get captured by Ramsay, so the show had to bullshit their way out of that dilemma and did about the best they could. Now, you can criticize the producers putting themselves in that spot in the first place (and that's fair game), but when you already are painted into a corner you not getting out of it without a colorful footprint or two.

Edited by Sour Robin

Just saw it, better late than never. Everything was aces, especially the trial, but I just have to let it of my chest...

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT YARA SCENE! YOU THROW AXES FOR A LIVING, YOU'VE GOT A KID WHO'S AN AXE, AND THAT FUCKING RAMSEY IS STANDING THERE AND YOU FUCKING RUN AWAY LIKE FUCKING SWIPER FROM DORA THE EXPLORER! NO ONE UNDERSTANDS!

Uff...that felt so good. Anyway, was that trial awesome or what?

I agree, and not to mention this thought is already brought to light in Season three when Theon's father declares him "no son of mine," when he recieved the package of Theon's naughty bits. Not sure on the direct quote. It seemed like added fluf, or perhaps just to remind the viewers that Asha and the Iron Born are still around.

Favourite comment about the episode so far, from the AV Club commenters' thread:

(About Tyrion's speech): "That was some real wrestling villain talk, right down to the crowd booing."

Laughing forever. It's funny because it's true.

lol wait until tyrion and all his little bronn-a-maniacs run over you. Oh yeah

But he did not put it back to the boat.

Will you kindly stop chatting shit.He smashed one stone of the necklace and threw the rest of it into the boat with Dontos.

Why do you make these unequivocal comments when it's obvious you either haven't seen the recent episodes or your memory has more holes than a Swiss cheese?

Seriously. Theres so much Aegon foreshadowing going on during the Varys bits, its kinda mad. Aegon being cut would neuter next season onward. Of course they are including him. Hes Varys' primary motive. Varys' looking at the throne tonight was basically "yeah im going to put an ass in that."

Yeah not only did that convince me he was in the show, but also that he will end up sitting the IT for a time in the series.

Seriously. Theres so much Aegon foreshadowing going on during the Varys bits, its kinda mad. Aegon being cut would neuter next season onward. Of course they are including him. Hes Varys' primary motive. Varys' looking at the throne tonight was basically "yeah im going to put an ass in that."

I dunno...eeeee..sounds like shes spiteful and jealous.

Also, this is the one time the actress' wooden delivery is actually an advantage :)

"oh hey, this speech sounds like rehearsed/coached bullshit for some reason..."

She ultimately can't save Theon if Theon is unwilling to save himself. She'd just be throwing her life and her men's lives away for nothing (yes, even more so than the men she already lost during the raid. Sunk Costs Fallacy, etc.)

Just like when she tried to get him to retreat from Winterfell.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109755-book-spoilers-ep406-discussion/page-17#entry5771063

Again, from a narrative standpoint we knew she couldn't rescue Theon yet also could not get captured by Ramsay, so the show had to bullshit their way out of that dilemma and did about the best they could. Now, you can criticize the producers putting themselves in that spot in the first place (and that's fair game), but when you already are painted into a corner you not getting out of it without a colorful footprint or two.

Yeah, you're right, whoever came up with the idea last season to send Yara to this rescue mission wrote himself into a corner and Cogman pretty much had to play catch on this episode and do the best he could to walk out from that mess

But the execution was what really irked me. Like, we could have at least seen the Ironborn fighting their way out of the castle or something, but that cut was all kinds of lame, reminded me of Mr. Burns setting his dogs on people

It's not running away scared.

It's that she realized there was absolutely NO reason to fight anymore, Theon Greyjoy is dead.

SMH at some of you who don't get this.

SMH at some of you who don't get it....the scene was terribly directed and/or not nearly developed enough. Made her look like "oh well, we tried, but...dogs....RUN!!"

this

dafaq was up with that convo with Varys and Oberyn?

Watching with my unsullied father, and he had to pause it to ask what Varys agenda was. Honestly couldn't answer him. (I don't give him spoilers, just aid in understanding what we show watchers know) Just said his agenda is stayin' alive in Kings Landing (And again after he put a knife in Tyrion's back)

...more I think about it I not sure. Wasn't Varys in league with Magister Illyrio? Who was backing Dany?? ARGH All my brainblood in in my boner from the boobies I cannot think!

Nah for real, how do I explain Varys to my unsullied pops with out giving spoilers/theories?

It's not that I minded Shae turning all spiteful against Tyrion, it's that the show runners knew this was going to be the end result and decided to make Shae all 'I'd kill to protect that girl' over Sansa. You can make Shae kindly towards Sansa, but there was no reason to make a huge point of it. The inconsistency just stuck out like a sore thumb.

I'm shocked at how bad that episode was. Really, it must be one of the best examples yet of why they should stick to the damn books instead of fulfilling some fanfic fantasy. They're clearly too incompetent as writers to do the series justice by making stuff up as they go along.

Edited by Ilúvatar

IT's not JUST the dogs, the rest of the Dreadfort men were coming too.

You people wanted Yara to do a suicide mission to save someone that bit her.

Yara is smarter than you.

Dude, it was a suicide mission from the get-go. The place is called the Dreadfort. What did she expect she was going to find there, rainbows and unicorns?