[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

Really, I'm just relieved Asha finally got to

A] show up

B] Ninja a dude with her axe

C] do that hilarious action-movie-level-camp "Thank You"-Throatslice Combo

D] Give An Epic Speech (that ended up being hilarious for all the wrong reasons when the following scene undermined the premise, but ah, like Dagmer used to say, It Was A Pretty Speech)

I was disappointed Zero Dark Greyjoy ended so mutedly...but the Reek and Ramsay bath scene was awesome. Holy crap. Ramsay looks the softest he's ever been (lighting and wardrobe) and yet the scene has more nervy tension than ever. Alfie Allen sold Reek's terror and disbelief. Rheon is always awesome at eye acting. So. Effin. Creeptastic.

Holy shit where did Hizdahr come from? This dude is awesome! I loved how Dany was all "eheehe, I am a wise ruler, look at the little peasant man scamper off!" Hizdahr pwned that smug look right off. I barely registered this guy in the books. I think we might have another Bronn?

I liked Tywin's raw deal too. He seemed to imply he was never going to execute Tyrion in the first place, and Jaime bargained himself away to Casterly Rock. Mini-awesome acting moment--Dance's expression when Jaime told him about Aerys' last order.

Oh, the pained looks of EVERYONE when Pycelle spoke of the "noblest boy the gods ever put on this earth." Ahahaha the day Pycelle lied too much.

Edited by PhoenixFlame

Also, this is the one time the actress' wooden delivery is actually an advantage :)

"oh hey, this speech sounds like rehearsed/coached bullshit for some reason..."

Ehh actually, it sounded restrained but when Shae turns to face Tyrion and says "i was his whore." it sounded like decent delivery. Shes spiteful as fuck. She probably didnt want to be a witness and was told to be, but while she was there, she was going to throw that into his face.

Oberyn said that Varys should meet Ellaria in the brothel. That's wrong, HBO. Does she lives there already?

Ellaria is sniffing out intel. Even my mum picked up on that. In the showverse, the whores hear all the gossip.

Oh LOL I just remembered how when Ramsay is making Reek strip for his bath, "britches too" Ramsay totally lowers his head and shoots a look down there and has the sloppiest grin on his face.

Ramsay you complete bastard :D :D :D

Right? What a fucker.

It's not that I minded Shae turning all spiteful against Tyrion, it's that the show runners knew this was going to be the end result and decided to make Shae all 'I'd kill to protect that girl' over Sansa. You can make Shae kindly towards Sansa, but there was no reason to make a huge point of it. The inconsistency just stuck out like a sore thumb.

I think this is actually supposed to look like Shae was coerced in saying that shit about Sansa. Cuz she liked Sansa so much, it would make viewers ponder whether or not she was being forced to say something. But i actually do think there was spite there because Tyrion wanted to stop banging Shae in order to make the marriage work. (she wanted to be in Sansa's place.)

I'm shocked at how bad that episode was. Really, it must be one of the best examples yet of why they should stick to the damn books instead of fulfilling some fanfic fantasy. They're clearly too incompetent as writers to do the series justice by making stuff up as they go along.

People need to stop feeding the pig they hate so much and stop watching if they hate it so much. Its not hard...

I'm shocked at how bad that episode was. Really, it must be one of the best examples yet of why they should stick to the damn books instead of fulfilling some fanfic fantasy. They're clearly too incompetent as writers to do the series justice by making stuff up as they go along.

You're in the minority. The votes on this site say so, and the fact that this is HBOs most watched series EVER is further proof.

I'll stop reminding you that we're watching a sexist dudebro adaptation when HBO stops reminding me.

HBO? And reading the books didn't ring your bells about sexism in Westeros? When daughters AND sons are forced to marry against their will? When in the Riverruns pretty much every girl has been raped, or so said Jaime? When Randyll Tarly says that Brienne could learn to behave like a proper lady after a good old rape?

I get it. Women being treated like objects offend people. But in Westeros, women were treated like properties. And, in many societies, they still are (#BringBackOurGirls, anyone?). This reminded me of those idiots who whined and whined about taking down the part of my national anthem that says we were slaves because it wasn't true. It was true and now people think it's not and someone wrote down those lyrics because it simply was feeling creative and with low self-esteem. Hiding how women were treated in history because it hurt susceptibilities doesn't do anybody a favour: it's the other way around. There were no Talisas in middle ages saying "uuuh, your world is barbaric!". they were given the barbaric treatment.

I understand that Yara's exit should have been filmed better. It was an awkward cut. But I get what they were going for. The purpose of the scene came through with what came after with Reek/Ramsay.

My biggest problem with the episode was Emilia's bad acting.

Hizdhar was much better than he ever was in ADWD though.

Edited by JonDunn

C] do that hilarious action-movie-level-camp "Thank You"-Throatslice Combo

That was great. I can almost forgive the rest of the scene just for that display of cold badassery

The sooner the writers embrace the camp of the Ironborn the sooner they'll find Chtulu's the Drowned God's salvation

Wow. While the story differs I think it is a great adaption. Adaption being the operative word there. ASOIAF could never be made into a television series or movie with out changes for SO many reason. Literally too many reasons to list, but the main one being that there are WAY too many characters in the books to fit into a screen adaption.

Is it still considered fanfic if the author is an executive producer?

HBO? And reading the books didn't ring your bells about sexism in Westeros? When daughters AND sons are forced to marry against their will? When in the Riverruns pretty much every girl has been raped, or so said Jaime? When Randyll Tarly says that Brienne could learn to behave like a proper lady after a good old rape?

I get it. Women being treated like objects offend people. But in Westeros, women were treated like properties. And, in many societies, they still are (#BringBackOurGirls, anyone?). This reminded me of those idiots who whined and whined about taking down the part of my national anthem that says we were slaves because it wasn't true. It was true and now people think it's not and someone wrote down those lyrics because it simply was feeling creative and with low self-esteem. Hiding how women were treated in history because it hurt susceptibilities doesn't do anybody a favour: it's the other way around. There were no Talisas in middle ages saying "uuuh, your world is barbaric!". they were given the barbaric treatment.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Stunned by the number of people who think there was any serious amount of sincerity in anything that Hizdahr said. I doubt if his father spoke out against the stuff he said at all. He's just coming in with a sob story because he's probably heard that the new queen always buys sob stories. We saw that with the goatherd.

Great episode. I really liked the way they translated the trial scene into the show. It lost some things but preserved the key essence, while adding others, like Margaery's reactions to the proceedings, knowing what we know about her insight into the truth of the matter.