[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

H-dog tossin' them feels at Dany.

Stannis seemed like a different man this episode. His douche-factor's been turned down. Also, love that they're givin' Davos more screen-time and they're not downplaying his intelligence. He's truly a great negotiator.

And I lol'd at how trashy the Iron Born were. Ramsay was trolling 'em like nothin', without a shirt on, stabbin' 'em with a butter knife. C'mon, man up.

Love how Oberyn didn't get up when Tywin walked in unlike those tools.

Fuck Trant. And where the hell is Balon Swann - the only decent Kingsguard member?

Trial was epic. I'm really glad they executed it so well. Everyone did a superb job.

That child will definitely burn. Does anyone think we won't see this exact same goatherd dude again when the child dies? Tonight was just foreshadowing for when he brings in that child's bones, most likely in Ep. 10 regardless of if you think "The Children" means Dany's dragons or the Children of the Forest (I'm personally hoping it means the latter but who the fuck cares).

Well someone mentioned they were probably setting up for Hazzea and i really hope thats the case. Otherwise, its ridiculous whitewashing.

I would agree with Florina... If it sets up for Hazzea nice, if don't, I am officially pissed

The Nitpick With Impunity thread is coming. I freaking made it this time. I just wish we could have a joyful discussion without some SJW throwing a tantrum and people saying people who liked this episode are sexist or just have bad taste.

Oh, God... We can't say a word and not turn out to be either sexist, racist or whatever is the flavor of the week.

Thanks!

Well it was a success until it was lifted by Ned, but it was going quite well.

The Baratheons had just taken the throne, I'd say that made them quite powerful, though I guess that's definitely up for debate.

I dunno, I just think his character deserved a bit more than this...

That wasn't success. Mace had a force of the Reach behind him and he couldn't have conquered castle against Stannis and his little force. The siege would have been successful if mace took the castle. He didn't thus siege was epic failure.

Baratheons took the throne, but they were nowhere near second most powerful House. Their wealth, strength is incomparable to Lannisters, Hightowers, Tyrells... Back then, as it is now.

edit: something is wrong, The quotes are lost... I quoted Florina and When Harry meets Sansa

Edited by Mladen

Exactly. I will not suffer this blasphemies here. This not King's Landing. And Mace is a fooking legend, and y'all know it. The Hand Throne will be the highlight of the entire show, you'll see

That's what I'm sayin!

Not a Tyrell fanboy by any means (Team Greyjoy. I know, I know, sorry!), but let's not understate Mace's political and military prowess here...

Exactly. I will not suffer this blasphemies here. This not King's Landing. And Mace is a fooking legend, and y'all know it. The Hand Throne will be the highlight of the entire show, you'll see

Also, someone on FB just said that he was waiting for the Soup Nazi to declare against Tyrion too, and I can't stop laughing about it

"You want bread Flea Bottom?"

"Yes"

"No provisions for you!"

Serious question (of the purely speculative sort): How MUCH changes if they have Sansa throw Lysa out of the Moon Door herself? I mean, I know A LOT would change if they did that, but would it necessarily be "all" bad? I'm 99% sure they WON'T have Sansa kill Lysa herself, but with the lack of Marillion, the thought has crossed my mind more than once in the past week. Would that destroy Sansa's character completely, or would it simply usher in not only the "partnership" aspect of Petyr and Sansa's relationship (i.e. I cover your murders, you cover mine), but also the 'hardening' of Sansa herself? This is a purely "what-if" question, but I've wanted to ask someone for a while now (figured I'd ask you since you brought up Marillion).

Anyways, I think with the lack of Marillion, they're simply going to have Sansa and Petyr conspire to say that she was drunk and fell out of the Moon Door by herself.

You know, if Sansa kills Lysa herself, I would make my peace with it, but it seemed like part of the power of "Only Cat"--and Littlefinger immediately framing someone else--is that it shows just how cold and cruel Littlefinger can be: it wasn't enough to kill Lysa, it was to ensure that her last thought would be the realization that he never loved her.

I wonder if Jamie will step in for Tyrion, one handed.

I'm wondering how the show will handle this.

I'm also wondering how the show will deal with TV Bronn telling Tyrion he put Shae on a boat. If there's a Tyrion/Bronn scene in 4x07, I imagine the first thing Tyrion would ask Bronn would be "What the fuck, Bronn?"

Edited by Newstar

I would agree with Florina... If it sets up for Hazzea nice, if don't, I am officially pissed

Oh, God... We can't say a word and not turn out to be either sexist, racist or whatever is the flavor of the week.

That wasn't success. Mace had a force of the Reach behind him and he couldn't have conquered castle against Stannis and his little force. The siege would have been successful if mace took the castle. He didn't thus siege was epic failure.

Baratheons took the throne, but they were nowhere near second most powerful House. Their wealth, strength is incomparable to Lannisters, Hightowers, Tyrells... Back then, as it is now.

edit: something is wrong, The quotes are lost... I quoted Florina and When Harry meets Sansa

Someone else on another forum mentioned the Hazzea set up so it has lessened my rage over that scene cuz omg. So mad. loooool

Speaking of Hightowers, i wonder if we are getting them in the show? Maybe season 6.

I'm wondering how the show will handle this.

I'm also wondering how the show will deal with TV Bronn telling Tyrion he put Shae on a boat. If there's a Tyrion/Bronn scene in 4x07, I imagine the first thing Tyrion would ask Bronn would be "What the fuck, Bronn?"

This is especially interesting given that the showrunners seem to want to keep Bronn on in Ser Illyn's role.

Yeah, come on folks, you can't go STRAIGHT to "Drogon burninated a kid", you gotta build up to that.

Goat first, kid later.

The corresponding chapter did the same thing. Early on Dany deals with the dragons poaching livestock, to establish the pattern of "ho hum, pay reparations for property lost, etc." so that the record scratch sound effect kicks in and everyone goes OH SHIT at the end when "oh no this time it's a person" and the chapter ends on its DUN DUN DUN moment.

It hasn't been cut, it's been pushed back. Just like when The Reeds didn't show in Season 2. They weren't cut, they just came in later. Gotta stretch out source material as long as they can, they're starting to run out :)

Four more episodes this year, and Dany'll still be in Meereen in Season 5, too. Plenty of time. Plus the child dying is the prompt for chaining up the dragons which is such heavy handed symbolism for Dany and her story it HAS to happen. I mean, really

Edited by Sour Robin

All good with the no quote(s).

I wouldn't say Mage's siege was an epic failure; it was strategically wise. Marg says it plenty of times in those cool DVD extras but Mace deciding to just starve the castle out was the best course of action. Here's why:

1.The Reach is plentiful so Mace's army was well supplied and fed. Stannis and co. were eating rats before Davos and the onions.

2. By besieging Storm's End it meant Robert's heir, by all accounts a brilliant battle commander, couldn't enter the fray. Also it distracts Robert's goals knowing that his own castle is being besieged and was done in an attempt to draw him down to break the siege. This fact also sows doubt in houses that would believe in Robert's cause; what good is a king if he can't even hold his own castle?

3. By not deciding to storm the castle and kill Robert's heir, which, and it's mentioned, would have been easy enough to do, the Tyrell's were pretty close to neutrality and made their pardons that much easier while they didn't really give up any status after the war was over.

Edited by When Harry met Sansa

Yeah, come on folks, you can't go STRAIGHT to "Drogon burninated a kid", you gotta build up to that.

Goat first, kid later.

The corresponding chapter did the same thing. Early on Dany deals with the dragons poaching livestock, to establish the pattern of "ho hum, pay reparations for property lost, etc." so that the record scratch sound effect kicks in and everyone goes OH SHIT at the end when "oh no this time it's a person" and the chapter ends on its DUN DUN DUN moment.

It hasn't been cut, it's been pushed back. Gotta stretch out source material as long as they can, they're starting to run out :)

Four more episodes this year, and Dany'll still be in Meereen in Season 5, too. Plenty of time.

I think Jorah is gonna happen and then probably the Hazzea thing. It better happen. We need Dany's crap to catch up with her pretty soon. But who else is loving Hizdahr? I mean if his sob story is just BS, hes a good bullshitter and the show is fleshing him out as a pretty formidable character. I dig it. Green Grace is gonna win my face next season.

About Sansa pushing Lysa herself, yeah not gonna happen. LF is so gonna do that. I think the beginning of next episode will establish who the patsy will be and im leaning toward the Mord theory.

All good with the no quote(s).

I wouldn't say Mage's siege was an epic failure; it was strategically wise. Marg says it plenty of times in those cool DVD extras but Mace deciding to just starve the castle out was the best course of action. Here's why:

1.The Reach is plentiful so Mace's army was well supplied and fed. Stannis and co. were eating rats before Davos and the onions.

2. By besieging Storm's End it meant Robert's heir, by all accounts a brilliant battle commander, couldn't enter the fray. Also it distracts Robert's goals knowing that his own castle is being besieged and was done in an attempt to draw him down to reclaim it. This fact also sows doubt in houses that would believe in Robert's cause; what good is a king if he can't even hold his own castle?

3. By not deciding to storm the castle and kill Robert's heir, which, and it's mentioned, would have been easy enough to do, the Tyrell's were pretty close to neutrality and made their pardons that much easier while they didn't really give up any status after the war was over.

Agree with all. The Tyrells made it through Robert's Rebellion with their lands and family members intact (apparently some cousin named Quentyn Tyrell died, but anyone named Quentyn in asoiaf is better off dead), which is more than can be said of other houses (cough * Connington * cough * Martell)

I think Jorah is gonna happen and then probably the Hazzea thing. It better happen. We need Dany's crap to catch up with her pretty soon. But who else is loving Hizdahr? I mean if his sob story is just BS, hes a good bullshitter and the show is fleshing him out as a pretty formidable character. I dig it. Green Grace is gonna win my face next season.

About Sansa pushing Lysa herself, yeah not gonna happen. LF is so gonna do that. I think the beginning of next episode will establish who the patsy will be and im leaning toward the Mord theory.

Yeah, I think this week's small council meeting, while CLEARLY mostly about Mace Tyrell being made Master Of Ships :D also reintroduced the idea that Jorah was an informant. I like the idea floated earlier in this thread (I think? maybe i read it elsewhere) that Tywin is going to have Varys's birds rat Jorah out to Dany by publishing some old letters :)

A story which the honorable and honest Barristan will then confirm when Dany asks him to confirm/deny this, and then the HSS Friendzone is Sunk. :)

And when and if Jaime steps in, what will Tywin do to protect family jewels knowing he is one handed? Tywin's gotta mess on his hands now.

Probably even money Oberyn comes to Tyrion's cell next episode and they have the "Gregor killed Elia's kids" talk, then Oberyn volunteers before Jaime or Bronn has the chance. This saves us from having to see Bronn turn against Tyrion and Jamie foolishly volunteering. The look Oberyn gave when Tyrion issues the "trial by combat" line and the way he was leaning forward in his chair was shipping it so hard that the scene between him and Tyrion should really be the only KL scene we get next week and IMO should either be the first or second-to-last scene in the Ep IF Lysa flies/Only Cat happens, which it is probably reasonable to assume.

Edited by When Harry met Sansa

I've always been a proponent of the fan theory that Tywin was poisoned by Oberyn via Widows Blood. I am curious to see if the show would ever confirm this theory. Interesting... that Pycelle name dropped Widows Blood and the conclusion of the scene between Jaime and Tywin, he-Tywin- takes a long sip of wine. It could mean nothing but that shot did strike me a bit odd. I wonder if they're gonna have Tywin start to show symptoms and Oberyn give his line that "your lord father won't live forever"...

Probably even money Oberyn comes to Tyrion's cell next episode and they have the "Gregor killed Elia's kids" talk, then Oberyn volunteers before Jaime or Bronn has the chance. This saves us from having to see Bronn turn against Tyrion and Jamie foolishly volunteering. The look Oberyn gave when Tyrion issues the "trial by combat" line and the way he was leaning forward in his chair was shipping it so hard that the scene between him and Tyrion should really be the only KL scene we get next week and IMO should either be the first or second-to-last scene in the Ep IF Lysa flies/Only Cat happens, which it is probably reasonable to assume.

I really hope they don't cut Bronn turning him down. I assume they won't because alot of the unsullied just assume he will fight for Tyrion.