[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

I saw it as an update on Theon and the enormity and extent of damage done by Ramsay. I think it explains his future participation in capturing Moat Cailin.

But it does not make any sense for me. The Dreadford is on the other side of Westeros. So Asha just sailed around Dorne to save Theon and gives up shortly after seeing him?

Tywin's letter will cause the rift between Danny and Jorah and she'll banish him. Standard move on Tywin's part, breaking alliances. Danny hasn't read her Sun Tzu The Art of War, so she will fall into his trap.

I'm betting you're right about this

Looks like Only Cat is next episode. What a bummer. I wanted episode 10 to have all the best moments like Tyrion's escape, Tywin's death, Lord Commander Jon Snow, Only Cat, and Stoneheart.

Only Cat would have been the best scene to end Sansa's arc this season. But seeing as we have 3 more episodes after that, I suppose we'll see more LF scheming and plotting following the aftermath of Lysa's fall.

Also I wonder how they'll introduce Oberyn as champion. Will they take Tyrion back to the stand? In ASoS, it happened immediately after Shae's confession, right? With Oberyn having met Tyrion before? Or am I wrong?

I usually try not to be "that guy," as I enjoy the show enough to not go all "book Nazi" on people. But, aside from how unnecessary I found the Yara scenes, I was somewhat bothered by the ease and swiftness of her breaking into the Dreadfort. And, how Ramsay decided to take on a group of armored men with himself shirtless and shield-less. Since when did he become Conan? I had to chuckle.

I enjoyed the intro of Hisdahr. I'm not all that compelled by him in the novels, so here's hoping the show can craft a better version for me.

As excited as I am to see Mycroft on GoT, count me among the group wishing that Braavos would be more culturally different than Westeros.

Really enjoyed this episode. Nothing to say about the trial scene that hasn't been said other than the dynamics were great. The scheming and plotting between Tywin and Jamie and Jamie and Tyrion and meanwhile Cersei just sitting there until the trial of combat moment and just slight facial expression of satisfaction.

Glad to see Dany being unsure. Emilia is a good actress but they've been riding the Dany Triumphant train for a whole season now and I"m glad to see it come to a halt. Last episode we had her acknowleding she should have listend to Jorah's council and now, with her look at Barristan after her realization about crucifying the masters and how she should have listened to him. Will make the betrayal even more difficult as I think we're going to start seeing her lean on them more. I also like the my fleshed out Hizdar, his character always felt rushed in the book.

Oberyn my heart is already breaking for you.

Tremendous acting by Alfie in the Reek scene. It was filler but I didn't mind it because I find all of these characters more captivating than random Nights Watch assholes. Also, expecting Moat Cailin to be Episode 8 or 10 with the news of Balon's death coming and maybe that's why Victarion leaves? I"m thinking we will have way more Greyjoy next season along with Dorne.

I also liked the DAvos, STannis scene. I remember in the book feeling like part of the issue with Stannis was that he was broken on the Blackwater and Davos had to keep trying to rile him, while Mel kept trying to use her magic to seduce him. We saw him kinda being carried on by Mel's plan but not being happy about it and now we get a rousing speech of loyalty from Davos just in time for Episode 9: How Stannis Got His Groove Back

Favourite comment about the episode so far, from the AV Club commenters' thread:

(About Tyrion's speech): "That was some real wrestling villain talk, right down to the crowd booing."

Laughing forever. It's funny because it's true.

It's also Tyrion's heel turn so it fits very well

??? Dany didn't notice that was a child?

Been answered, but no...was the goat and we will probably see another get presented before we get a child. would like more build up, but there's only so much time.

Even Shae can't speak ill of the saintly man

She doesn't need to - all she needs to do is reinforce what everyone is already thinking about him. Regicide & kinslaying are obviously worse, but all she needed to do was show in another light how Tyrion was always about Tyrion and his needs.

Tyrion man I know you're upset but most of these spectators don't even have names. They ain't do shit to you man

that's the point...he didn't know any of them, yet his actions saved them. None of them know him, yet they are all comdemning him...

3) It makes no sense for Oberyn to volunteer to be champion at this point. He wants to kill the Mountain, but he hasn't been declared as Cersei's champion yet.

Sure it does, it is a perfect opportunity for Oberyn to give Tywin a big FUCK YOU. When he finds out that the champion is Gregor, it makes it even better.

It is so improper for Tywin to ask Lord Mace Tyrell to fetch pen and paper for him, Mace is not his servant.

Everyone is Tywins servant.

No, Tywin is not that powerful, it is like President Obama tells Mr Biden" Hi, Briden, be a good man, go and make me a cup of coffe, will you?"

Bad analogy. Everyone is subservient to Tywin and always have been...

Oh for the love of...GO AWAY! Im not uncomfortable. Im tired of the whinging! If you dont like what you are seeing, stop feeding the pig by watching it! Armchair Activists. fucking lol

So instead of making more comments on it, put the person on ignore so you don't have to see them. That poster has every right to complain about the nudity as Stannis fans have to complain about his characterization.

A few observations -

- It seemed to me that Shae's confused expression when Tyrion asked for a trial by combat meant she was in on the ruse: that Tywin did plan on sending Tyrion to the Wall. It seemed the biggest part of Tywin's plan. He didn't call Shae as witness until after his conversation with Jaime, he likely knew she would provide the most damaging (false) evidence and that Tyrion could finally confess and plead for mercy. Anyway, sets up a Tywin/Shae relationship for... later. And provides a motive for Shae's lies, which is not so clear in the book.

BTW it's the only time I've even remotely liked tv!Shae actress, whatever her name is.

- the appearance of the necklace was eye-rolling. I guess they needed to hammer the unsullied over the head

- Varys' testimony seemed to me something he was personally asked to relay, since Tywin, Cersei and Pycelle were also there and surely remembered Tyrion saying that. They just needed another witness to spread out the evidence. I didn't see this as a betrayal of Tyrion personally.

- When Pycelle gives his list of poisons, it's Oberyn that immediately knows what they all are, and speaks first to him.

- Tywin gulping dark red wine while the bells ring was a great touch. Adds fuel to the fire about Oberyn poisoning him, especially because we were shown Oberyn knows about poisons AND has "much better wine" than otherwise available in KL. Seriously, that wine was a very dark color, not the usual medium red usually shown.

- Oberyn and Varys. While odd that Oberyn seemed to be interested in a whorehouseparty with Varys, yeah this scene was obviously a set-up for Aegon. When they're talking about Oberyn travelling in Essos for five years (wonder what that means?) and Varys says something like "We aren't all born princes..."

Which could be taken a few ways. In context with the Oberyn convo, he is saying he himself isn't a Prince (killing Blackfyre theories). But we know that he really means he either has a trueborn Prince, or that someone doesn't need to be born a Prince to take the throne. Then staring at the throne thinking "Soon......" Nice set-up for future events and speculation.

- I personally liked the Dreadfort scene, but the cut between "How fast can you run?" and the Ironborn running to the rowboat was more comical than suspenseful.

- Re: the 7 or 8 minutes that seemed to have been cut. Shirtless Ramsay was covered in blood splatters. I think we won't be seeing his crazy lover alive again anytime soon. The guy was filled with crazy manic bloodlust, not quite the way most men are after an intense lovemaking session.

Did I just read someone say that Varys is CLEARY on 'Team Lannister'..

PLEASE

Tell that to Uncle Kev

actually varys is definitely team lannister. killing kevan was to keep tommen and cersei on the throne so they would continue to create a mess in king's landing. he'll be team lannister until he's ready to reveal aegon when we will see where his true allegiance lies. but until then: go lions, go!

I bet Balon Greyjoy is drinking in Pyke to all the guys and gals killed in the show while they're still alive in the books, Just chillin' in the castle waiting for the storm to kill him.

And since Mockingbird is the Ep 7, I already figured out this was gonna be the 'Only Cat' episode.

Man, look likes <z have :

E07 : Only Cat

E08 : Oberyn vs Gregor

E09 : The Battle at the Wall

E10 : Tywin dyin' + UnCat

We can say for sure this end of season is gonna kill the Internet.

I've never been so excited.

A few observations -

- It seemed to me that Shae's confused expression when Tyrion asked for a trial by combat meant she was in on the ruse: that Tywin did plan on sending Tyrion to the Wall. It seemed the biggest part of Tywin's plan. He didn't call Shae as witness until after his conversation with Jaime, he likely knew she would provide the most damaging (false) evidence and that Tyrion could finally confess and plead for mercy. Anyway, sets up a Tywin/Shae relationship for... later. And provides a motive for Shae's lies, which is not so clear in the book.

BTW it's the only time I've even remotely liked tv!Shae actress, whatever her name is.

interesting observation. this makes me think they will keep shae as the whore with the heart of gold and push that she was forced to testify but didn't agree until tywin explained the plan is for tyrion heading to the wall.

My initial thoughts:

I loved Braavos in the opening, it was very cute. The Braavos scene itself though, kind of weird. But still good. And very shiny. And I'm happy they showed Salla again. I don't know why, I just can't get enough of that guy :P

YarAsha storming the Dreadfort seemed like the most pointless thing in the history of everything. Maybe it's just me but that whole scene was completely useless aside from letting us remember that YarAsha exists (and is suddenly very dumb). Run into the fort, battle a little, run away. Done.

I like Tyrion's trial. That Shae stuff was great.

And Oberyn was on fire this episode. Cute, sexy, everything :wub: I only wish the episode ended with him announcing he'd champion for Tyrion.

I have noticed a few people say the same thing that oberyn should have declared champion for tyrion. To me that would have been too quick as I believe oberyn is a on few more council meetings and he meets tyrion in his cell to speak with him. I think they did it just right.