[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

I just took that to mean that Varys desires, as he always has, to remain in a place of power. While I liked most of that scene and thought the camera direction was once again great, I thought the dialogue there could have been better. Of course Varys has desires; it literally made no sense for him to say he hates that word and then have his actions best speak to the same word lol.

Also I guess I am late to the party on this one but how the hell could Varys be Aegon's father?? Wasn't he cut at like age 13? Varys simply wants to be on the side that wins and his loyalty never really left the Targs.

I'm being partially facetious...everyone who's anyone has been theorized as a secret Targ, & it has been tossed about that either Varys or Illyrio is Aegon's real father, by way of a Targ momma, who was married to/sister of one or the other. I do believe Varys was snipped when quite young. But he kind of allows to Oberyn that his entire focus has been on having the IT seated HIS way.

Dude, it was a suicide mission from the get-go. The place is called the Dreadfort. What did she expect she was going to find there, rainbows and unicorns?

no, those are in Skagos. ;)

Stunned by the number of people who think there was any serious amount of sincerity in anything that Hizdahr said. I doubt if his father spoke out against the stuff he said at all. He's just coming in with a sob story because he's probably heard that the new queen always buys sob stories. We saw that with the goatherd.

I thought he might be sincere--only because they've made several characters more sympathetic than in the books. Also was thinking they might create a triangle with Dany-Daario-Hizdahr...

I wonder if Jamie will step in for Tyrion, one handed.

I hope not. Jaime is smart enough to know that if he tries to defend Tyrion, they will both die. Also, it violates his duty as KG.

Margaery is the only person in the throne room (apart from Varys probably) who knows for a fact that Tyrion is innocent. She is getting a good dose of how justice works in Kings Landing, which may be significant to her later.

Thanks. I completely missed that part! :dunce:

As excited as I am to see Mycroft on GoT, count me among the group wishing that Braavos would be more culturally different than Westeros.

Also, isn't Syrio from Braavos? If so, they've already established an ethnic look and accent...

Pedro Pascal is fantastic as Oberyn. I wish the writers didn't have to clobber us over the head all the time that Oberyn likes his sexy time. We get it. Still, Pascal is so good in this role that I am really sad that his journey on the show is near an end. Loved it when he remained sitting while everyone else stood when Tywin entered the Small Council.

Alfie Allen is killing it as Reek. His performance is amazing and makes me forgive the filler Yara scene just because it so clearly illustrated how beaten down he has become. The terror in his eyes when Yara tries to free him was an outstanding performance.

Loved the trial. Loved Hizdahr (more interesting than book Hizdahr). Love that they are showing Dany's difficulties when it comes to ruling.

Pedro Pascal is fantastic as Oberyn. I wish the writers didn't have to clobber us over the head all the time that Oberyn likes his sexy time. We get it. Still, Pascal is so good in this role that I am really sad that his journey on the show is near an end. Loved it when he remained sitting while everyone else stood when Tywin entered the Small Council.

Alfie Allen is killing it as Reek. His performance is amazing and makes me forgive the filler Yara scene just because it so clearly illustrated how beaten down he has become. The terror in his eyes when Yara tries to free him was an outstanding performance.

Loved the trial. Loved Hizdahr (more interesting than book Hizdahr). Love that they are showing Dany's difficulties when it comes to ruling.

I agree, I'm going to be as sad to see Pedro get it as I was to see the the Red Viper get it in the books.

I also thought for the first time they did a good job in finally portraying that Dany's sense of justice, is, err, not quite what she thinks it is.

On the first half of the episode I was like "what the hell is going on?"

I loved Davos' speech,although it never happen...So is Stannis going to the Wall at all or are they going in a different direction entirely??

Poor Tyrion,Shae's testimony was cruel on the books and it was even worse on TV...

Also "Lord Tyrell be a good man and fetch quill and paper" :lmao: :lmao:

Did they cut Kevan? Cause if Tywin where to die without a heir, power of Casterly Rock goes to Kevan and not lancel(as jaime said) right?

Kevan is old though and when Kevan dies Lancel inherits. Jamie was talking about the next generation of Lannisters

Edited by King Zee

Any word on who's going to be playing the Mountain? I just hope it's not the guy from season 2.

IMDB says Halfdor Julius Bjornsson

It also lists him in the cast of The Mountain and the Viper, but not in Mockingbird. Now sometimes people are left out in very recent or future episodes so he still might make an appearance next week.

As excited as I am to see Mycroft on GoT, count me among the group wishing that Braavos would be more culturally different than Westeros.

We've seen one entity in the Iron Bank and all the unsullied know from them is that they deal with Westerosi all the time. Let's not jump the gun here and conclude that all of Braavos will be like Westeros; I am sure once we get Arya next season we'll fully discover how diverse and awesome Braavos and its people are.

Edited by When Harry met Sansa

I have noticed a few people say the same thing that oberyn should have declared champion for tyrion. To me that would have been too quick as I believe oberyn is a on few more council meetings and he meets tyrion in his cell to speak with him. I think they did it just right.

I just think that doing it this way, people now have an entire week to think back to all those trailers with Oberyn fighting and realize that he's the champion. A lot of non book readers will probably realize it. Kind of ruins the surprise.