[Book Spoilers] EP406 Discussion

Oberyn's one of my favorite characters in the book, too. Pascal is doing a fine job; and I love his profile. (he's built nicely too)

Has anyone noticed that Cersei's hairstyle has much improved since the Purple Wedding; she looks even more attractive without that high-piled look; and her amazing cheekbones are more visible.

Can't lie, best she's ever looked.

Can't lie, best she's ever looked.

I think all the women have looked more attractive this season. Shae was luminous in the trial scene, Carice van Houten looked even more stunning than usual in that scene from the 4x07 promo where she gazed into the flames, and Margaery has looked incredible.

Im looking forward to him but im looking forward to that entire arc.

Hue!

Man...i want her to stay. Fuck the police. Or she mutinies or something. I dunno. If shes to go byebye, at least let her have one more really evil act first.

She's using Theon's bow. She should totally rub that in Reek's face, or mockingly ask if she can borrow it for a little longer. You're not using it anyway with all those missing fingers, now, are you? :devil:

I think all the women have looked more attractive this season. Shae was luminous in the trial scene, Carice van Houten looked even more stunning than usual in that scene from the 4x07 promo where she gazed into the flames, and Margaery has looked incredible.

The actress who plays Cat/Stoneheart won't be looking better though :ack:

With regards to Varys' motivations, in season 1 when he and the magistrate meet beneath the catacombs, I believe Viserys was still alive and therefore, I believe the rightful heir to the targaryan throne. When Viserys died, the next male heir was (f)Aegon. So Varys is just adapting to changing situations.

With regards to Varys' motivations, in season 1 when he and the magistrate meet beneath the catacombs, I believe Viserys was still alive and therefore, I believe the rightful heir to the targaryan throne. When Viserys died, the next male heir was (f)Aegon. So Varys is just adapting to changing situations.

Nope that's not correct.The proper order is Aegon-Viserys-Dany. Aegon was the son of the mad King's heir and according to the Targaryen customs/laws he comes first.

By the way sorry to post it here but the trailer for episode 7 is up http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones#/video/video.html/eNrjcmbOYM7XLMtMSc13zEvMqSzJTHbOzytJrShRz89JgQkFJKan+iXmpjIXcjIysoFgellmarltXmlOjlpiaUl+QU5ipW1JUWmqGtAoW0Njc3MLCwu1tMycktQi27TUxJLSotQUAMrtJLY=

So i think a prediction thread can be opened for this as well?

Edited by Daenor

From a thousand pages ago, but I still like the idea of Salladhor being used as "Aurane Waters" stand-in. So a Stannis betrayal of him could work in that way. Runs over to Cersei. Promptly betrays her too.

Or Davos and Salladhor could fake Salladhor changing sides so that Salladhor could steal Cersei's fleet. He did want to **** Cersei in season 2...

But I don't think Cersei would trust him and I don't think he would trust Cersei to be dumb enough to trust him.

I repeat, to both the Unsullied and to the Book Readers... what moron in the seven kingdoms wouldn't question Petyr's sudden bastard/niece?

Maybe this is a book flaw that the show writers are trying to resolve?

I always believed that since LF is known to own a brothel, everyone assumed that he partook of his own wares and she's the result. And now that she's flowered, LF no longer wants her living in the brothel.

Just watched the episode.

Laughing at Stannis again. He can't even convince the bank to give him money, Davos must do it. Ridic.

I actually thought it was appropriate. Stannis has many great qualities (strategic, smart, brave, persistent, etc.) but winning friends and influencing people is not one of his strengths. Convincing the bank required an influencer--and Davos (who, as a smuggler, has probably had to talk his way out of many difficult situations) is a great one.

the best part of the whole episode was just how slumped and relaxed oberyn was during most of the trial

It was hilarious, but I was actually a little annoyed when he didn't stand when Tywin entered the room in the Small Council scene. It seemed a little discourteous and passive aggressive to me...

Hey...i was just thinking...do you think Ramsay's lady friend, Myranda will actually be plot important? I kinda like how shes unabashedly bad news. Goes to show even the ladies can be pretty gnarly.

Nope, just Ros replacement as token naked woman. I actually don't like her, because I always assumed that Ramsay was a solo player and that everyone else in the Dreadfort was just too afraid to challenge him or say anything. The show is taking a different approach, and I don't really care for it.

I hope those who always complain about Dany being perfect and flawless are happier now, because she looked like a total idiot in this episode. The son of a slavemaster claims his father was totally innocent in the deaths of the children and she believes him instantly because slave masters are such honest people who always say the truth, right? Giving in so easily will make her look weak and manipulable to the Meereense nobles.

Then the goat herder says Drogon killed all his livestock when we clearly saw that he only took single goat the rest got away. Of course Dany doesn't question this and promises him three times the worth of all his animals in gold. Barristan gives her a look like 'Are you stupid?'. She never asks for proof. How did the goat herder get the bones when Drogon carried his prey off into the far away mountains? Now when the word spreads that Dany is paying gold for animal bones, people can just burn their livestock, bring it to her and make some big cash (I think that's what happens in ADWD, correct me if I'm wrong), it was a really dumb move. They are really showing her as a bad and naive ruler from the moment she sits on the bench.

Excellent, just like the books

"It was hilarious, but I was actually a little annoyed when he didn't stand when Tywin entered the room in the Small Council scene. It seemed a little discourteous and passive aggressive to me..."

It was meant to be, he hates Tywin and has no problem showing it!

I thought Varys answer , this:

Tyrion asks Varys if he has forgotten his promise to remember that Tyrion saved the city from Stannis;Varys says that he never forgets a thing.

...oddly vague , as if he ducked accusing Tyrion of anything.

I would have look in the book to see what Varys says at the trial, since his actions are Tyrion friendly later.

Wow, I totally missed that interpretation. Varys may have been referring to the wizard-in-a-box scene in which Tyrion confided his suspicion that Cersei had tried to have him killed during the Battle of Blackwater and asked Varys to provide him with evidence. And then Tyrion talked about wanting to get revenge against the people who were trying to hurt him. Bringing that up would have been pretty damning and Varys kept quiet abut it.

Varys also could have mentioned that Tyrion fought with Joffrey over the siege preparations (Joffrey wanted to go after Robb instead of preparing for Stannis' attack). Varys probably also knew that Tyrion was blackmailing Lancel in season 2, but it isn't explicit in the show that Varys knew about that.

So Varys limited his testimony to things that were common knowledge on the Small Council; he kept back the things that nobody knew to ask him for.

I don't fully understand the Varys / Oberyn scene. It seemed like they were tentatively reaching for a mutually beneficial arrangement with each other, but it didn't get to the point of specifics. Varys harped on class distinctions, I guess to differentiate himself from the Kings Landing crowd that Oberyn despises; and Oberyn was trying to figure out what makes Varys tick. Have we seen Varys tell somebody that he didn't trust them before? What was the point of saying that to Oberyn?

Somebody said upthread that Oberyn and Ellaria's decision to stay in the brothel and talk to the prostitutes is probably an intentional intelligence gathering activity; so Oberyn's invitation to Varys to join them may have been intended as a "lets compare notes and scheme in private" kind of offer. Or maybe in the show universe they are in cahoots and this was just a cautious check-in (seems unlikely)?