How would you rate episode 406?

How would you rate episode 406?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9 from me. Lots of plots I was worried about getting dropped are doing well, my fears about Shae's role being changed were unfounded, Tywin manipulates everyone, Varys gets to be dramatic, Tyrion gets to be awesome, a badass dragon, Dany learning it sucks to rule. The Asha invasion was strange, but did a good job showing us just how much Reek is broken.

I always love Sallador Sahn. The random naked girls were a bit blatant (I feel like someone went "Oh, man, last episode didn't have anyone nude. Can we set the next one in a bath house? Also, can Ramsey have sex?"), but it was really nice to see a happy Davos. Stannis got to be Stannisy ("I am Stannis Baratheon. I don't like anything, but I'm the King!"), and I loved Oberyn's "What debt?" question.

This episode got me excited again, which is worth a 9 on its own.

Best episode of the season so far. Gave it an 8, which I may decide to revise up to 9 later. Why not a 9 right off? Well, the Greyjoy business was not well-executed (the Reek-specific stuff, yes, but the stuff around it, no), in shades of the Craster's Keep matter. Plus Emilia Clarke's vacillating performance is indeed started to bug me. The trial was exceptional though.

All due respect, Ran, I think they did the Greyjoy plot because viewers don't have Theon's thoughts. They didn't see how lost Theon really is. After Yara said that her brother is dead, my unsullied friends' and family members' jaws collectively hit the floor.

Some of my favorite quotes from people commenting on the show tonight.

"tyrion puts the imp in pimp"

"Impin aint Easy!"

"the imp deserves an emmy, an oscar and a grammy"

"That monologue from Tyrion was the best thing they have ever said on the show. Seriously, another Emmy please!"

"There's a lot of great acting in this show but wow, Peter Dinklage stands taller (lawl?) over everyone else... He's just plain ol' too good"

"Peter Dinklage continues to prove why he's one of, if not the best things about this show! he's just perfect in almost every scene he does"

I only wished that the trial took the entire episode. It was too short! But I guess short but sweet!

Great great final 20 minutes. Tyrion completely owned this episode as we all knew he would. But I didn't expect his acting to be that good. I mean wow. Everything from his facial expressions, body language, voice intonation it was just great acting. I wish he had more screen time with his monologue. Wonderful performance.

Edited by Sages

FalseKnight,

Like I said. The Reek specific stuff was good, i.e. showing how far he is gone. But the stuff leading up to it and following it is nonsensical. They should have gone for something other than a commando raid on the Dreadfort.

I feel like the asha/yara storming the dreadfort was sloppy and pointless I don't understand why they ran from two dogs and they were armed. But everything else made up for it I especially liked the whole part with Jamie and tywin.

They didn't run from the dogs. She gave up on Theon. Which shows how far Theon is gone and sets up the Kingsmoot. It was an important scene if a little clunky for non book readers.

Gave it a 9. Very close to 10 though. Brian Cogman really should write every episode.

I know people are complaining about the Dreadfort stuff, which honestly was kind of odd at the end/escape, but getting to see Alfie Allen as Reek was amazing. I suppose we're supposed to believe Asha has just realized her brother is ruined and is no longer Theon, which I think would've worked ok if they spent a bit more time on it. I think Cogman tried to write around that whole eventually pointless plot, but it was kind of worth the anti climax just to see Alfie be a perfect Reek. Everything else was perfect. Davos' selling of Stannis was so fucking amazing. The respect and love for Davos from Stannis came a bit later but it's there now.

NCW is so good at conveying emotion with just facial expressions, and Dinklage really did well. Such a great overall episode that it's honestly made me rethink my previous votes because this is how the show should always be. I can't wait to rewatch it.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

FalseKnight,

Like I said. The Reek specific stuff was good, i.e. showing how far he is gone. But the stuff leading up to it and following it is nonsensical. They should have gone for something other than a commando raid on the Dreadfort.

Yea I didn't much care for it. Almost like all the ironborne possess the magical gift of secretly penetratng castle walls. Never mind a siege. Just kill a few guards and you are inside the castle taking names no problem. And then all the build up last season and then a little more this episode al for a 5-10 minute showdown. Lol, that scene between reek and Ramsay felt longer and more impactful. But then again as its already been pointed out I've read the book so maybe its different for show viewers only.

FalseKnight,

Seems quite harsh to dock the entire episode a point because of 1-2 minutes of a 50ish minute episode.

Seems quite harsh to dock the entire episode a point because of 1-2 minutes of a 50ish minute episode.

I think 1 point is fine, 2 points is a bit harsh because the acting was so great on Alfie Allen's part that it almost made it all worthwhile. I think it's tough to rate this one below a 9. Short of major action like Blackwater it's rare to get an episode this good overall. Honestly the dreadfort stuff would've worked better if Asha was outnumbered and you really felt she could barely recognize Theon anymore. It was relatively good intent that didn't work fully because they didn't give it more time (I'm talking like 1 minute of screentime).

8/10

Really good. Loved the trial. Loved seeing Braavos. Dany was fine. Davos was good. Was happy to see Sallador Saan again, but that scene was a little long and was used to meet the naked women quota. I didn't care for the Ramsay sex scene or the Asha stuff.

9. Show Shae wandered too far from Book Shae & this ep pays the price. Also a boat from Pyke to Dreadfort? Seriously? And Pycelle specifically said Tyrion didn't get Strangler from him in the books so it clashed here.

ETA : really Titan of Braavos? Nothing to say?

Only complaints listed due to spacetime limitations

Edited by rmholt