How would you rate episode 406?

How would you rate episode 406?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Would make zero sense for him to declare unless he knew The Mountain was the queens champion

Anyway I give it a 9 best ep of the season

It would be easy enough for Cersei to name Gregor and then have the last scene be Oberyn stand up and declare for Tyrion.

I gave it a 9. This episode was excellent! I loved it, even the Dreadfort/Ironborn deviations. Wow! on shirtless Ramsay, I had determined to never find him remotely attractive, but ummm....wow. I really like Yara/Asha too. The bathtub scene was soooo good and Alfie Allen is just incredible.

Two Words: Peter Dinklage!

Oh my goodness, the hairs on my arms were standing up when he gave his speech. Perfection!

I even finally like the Mereen stuff and loved the way they played Hizdhar, playing him with more layers.

It is pretty clear that the purpose of the Dreadfort/Yara scene was to drive home that

1. Theon is truly lost, he is not playacting

2. Yara gets it and she is now free to pursue her other ambitions (Kingsmoot in season 5 yay!)

Yara's other men were obviously fighting all over the Dreadfort (see blood spatters on ramsay), Ramsay clearly was content with letting her get away, his own casualties would have been to great if he had cornered the Ironborn. Not to mention they were fully armed and armoured, he was shirtless. A man can be excused for being a little cautious in a situation like that

Edited by BlackTalon

People are making far too much of the Asha sequence. It was poorly handled in the sense that she gave up so easily. The speech beforehand was fantastic. I get why she left Theon, but why the hell not at least kill Ramsay as retribution? Obviously that would have screwed everything up plot-wise, but surely there was a better way to establish why she couldn't.

That said, people writing off the whole plot-line prematurely is pretty frustrating to see. The ironborn plot is advanced ever so slightly now that they know the extent of what's happened to Theon and just how much of a lost cause he is - opening up the plot for the introduction of future characters that some fear might not make the show.

What's more frustrating is that people are letting this, the lack of a Kevan namedrop ruin one of the most dramatic and well-written episodes of the entire show. We finally see the moral ambiguity the show is renowned for find its way into Dany's storyline. Alfie and Iwan were magnificent as always. Not to mention what is probably the best Tyrion scene thus far. There are no words to describe how excellent everything about the last fifteen minutes or so of this episode are.

Edited by Chuck88

I gave it 8. Maybe it deserves a 9.

What I didn't like about the Asha/Yara was the whole logistics of it. Every episode the intro shows us where storylines are taking place, but they don't seem to care on how a character gets from A to B. How did Asha get from the Iron Islands to the Dreadfort without anyone catching her? Still +1 for her using an axe and not a sword, and we finally got to see some badass ironborn.

I also didn't like Daenerys and Hizdhar much.

The rest was great.

People are making far too much of the Asha sequence. It was poorly handled in the sense that she gave up so easily. The speech beforehand was fantastic. I get why she left Theon, but why the hell not at least kill Ramsay as retribution? Obviously that would have screwed everything up plot-wise, but surely there was a better way to establish why she couldn't.

That said, people writing off the whole plot-line prematurely is pretty frustrating to see. The ironborn plot is advanced ever so slightly now that they know the extent of what's happened to Theon and just how much of a lost cause he is - opening up the plot for the introduction of future characters that some fear might not make the show.

What's more frustrating is that people are letting this, the lack of a Kevan namedrop ruin one of the most dramatic and well-written episodes of the entire show. We finally see the moral ambiguity the show is renowned for find its way into Dany's storyline. Alfie and Iwan were magnificent as always. Not to mention what is probably the best Tyrion scene thus far. There are no words to describe how excellent everything about the last fifteen minutes or so of this episode are.

Ha, this was the only time when I wanted to see the show deviate from the books. One of the ironborn should have totally split Ramsay's skull.

8/10 for me. A classic case of an episode building momentum as it goes along culminating in a great ending. By midway through I was getting bummed because it was heading towards another so-so episode, but as soon as King's Landing started things just picked up enormously, and that's no coincidence, the major players and the major acting talents were on full show here.

Positives

-The Titan: We already saw it in the trailers, but that didn't make it any less impressive and a great scenic shot of Braavos gives us a sneak peak before spending more time there next season.

-Drogon: Wow. Awesome.

-Meereen/Hizdahr: First time this season I have included Meereen in the positives. I loved how it played out. Showed Dany can make the easy decisions like repaying lost goats, but flounders when it comes to dealing with more complicated matters. The actor that played Hizdahr(apologies I don't know him) was terrific, his delivery of good written dialogue was very good.

-Small Council: Every character got to have a little say here and all of it was important stuff acted brilliantly. This episode made me realise I had missed seeing more of Varys this season.

-The Trial: Perfect. I loved every second of it. Once again every character was just highlighted, everybody was seen to be important, the exchanges between all the characters were fantastic.

-Tyrion: Special mention to Peter Dinklage. Time and time again he just proves when he needs to step up and knock a scene out of the park, he does it. His scathing address to the citizens of KL is definitely up there in my favourite moments.

Negatives

-Iron Bank: For two reasons. Yet again Stannis has been given pretty shoddy treatment here. He can't persuade the IB but Davos can? Just made him look weak. And we are supposed to believe that the IB(pretty much the most important institution in this world) can just change their minds on a pretty damn important decision where they have already laid out their reasons for declining, but switch based on a somewhat rousing speech from Davos? Really not a fan of how all that played out.

-Filler time nudity: Come on HBO. The Sallador scene was pointless, as was Ramsay's sex scene(that didn't even really feel like a Ramsay thing to show).

-Storm of Dreadfort: Rushed and sloppily done.

-Yara/Asha: Don't think D&D really know how to portray this character, and that mostly comes down to not getting enough screen time for her to be fleshed out more. Her speech to the Iron-born was good, but that sort of contradicted the retreat and regroup decision she makes in the end.

Edited by Cyvasse Khal

Without the Yara/Dreadford stuff it would be 11 of ten...

Ser Onion's speech to the bankster - priceless!

Oberyn once again great. I was disappointed about the casting becaus he looked to young and not at all a fearsome fighter for me - but his acting is absolutely great!

Any words necessary about the trial...???

But what in seven hells happened at the Dreadford?

Some twenty Ironborn Elite-Warriors storming a whole castle at night.

And run from some dogs...

And Ramsay going into an indoor-fight half barebody without getting hurt - the Ironborn seems to be pussies...

No! No! No!

Edited by The Chequered Raven

I understood the point of the Dreadfort scene, just didn't like how it ended, with the appearance of Yara running from dogs.

Just my humble opinion, but I think it would have been better if it ended something like

Ramsey steps aside- "you know, you've traveled so far I'd hate for you to leave empty handed. If there is a man named Theon present he is free to go"

Theon- "No, no I'm Reek. Reek Reek it rhymes with meek! I'm your Reek!"

Cut to Yara looking horrified, disgusted, etc and then have the beach scene where she says her brother is dead. It may be nitpicking but to me that would have been less anti-climactic. Still gave it a 9 overall though.

I understood the point of the Dreadfort scene, just didn't like how it ended, with the appearance of Yara running from dogs.

Just my humble opinion, but I think it would have been better if it ended something like

Ramsey steps aside- "you know, you've traveled so far I'd hate for you to leave empty handed. If there is a man named Theon present he is free to go"

Theon- "No, no I'm Reek. Reek Reek it rhymes with meek! I'm your Reek!"

Cut to Yara looking horrified, disgusted, etc and then have the beach scene where she says her brother is dead. It may be nitpicking but to me that would have been less anti-climactic. Still gave it a 9 overall though.

I like that alternative. It would emphasise the fact Ramsay is always playing with Theon/Reek's mind and how damaged he's become after all he's been through in the bastard's hands. For me, the main flaw in that scene was the way they portrayed the ironborn in the end, really.

I almost gave this one a 7 but with the quality of most of the acting just had to bump it to an 8.

The Ironborn seemed a little rusty and the dragon only roasted and carried off one goat and yet the goatherder claimed he lost everything. Way to triple your herd overnight!

I can never see Meryn Trant again without thinking Meryn Fuc*ing Trant and he is a fu*k as is Pycelle.

Tywin just doesnt miss a thing, does he?

Enjoyed Varys as usual and Margaery looked stunning!

Long as we are talking looks, if we are going to have nudity can we at least have some better looking whores. Most of them this season have been a little sub par, perhaps too close to everyday female reality, and this is a fantasy show. Haha, Just J/K.

Edited by Ser Graymax