How would you rate episode 406?

How would you rate episode 406?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I rated it a 9. Loved everything about it save for the Braavosi scene. It just irked me that the representative from the iron bank didn't speak Braavosi. Also althrough there were plenty of scenes that were straight from the pages (Tyrion's trial) some of the made up scenes weren't written up to my standards, the braavosi scenes. I loved theon's scenes and I love how it started out with Asha (can't remember her show name) reading the letter from Ramsay.

Gave it a 9. Excellent trial scenes, great acting from all involved. The Dreadfort invasion was a bit naff and completely made up, hence not a 10 for me. I suppose it fulfilled a purpose re-affirming the Theon/Reek/Ramsey relationship but it could have been handled better. Otherwise it was awesome.

PS

I must question the casting of the Iron Bank chairman and Hizdar. English viewers will (hopefully) know what I mean. Both are rather comedic characters in several series so I couldn't help thinking of these whilst viewing. I know it's not the actor's fault, etc., just a comment.

I loved the episode...

Though when I rated I forgot about the Dreadfort scenes, which started well but Asha/Yara & companions running away from a few dogs despite being armed - plus giving Ramsay time to unlock the cages? I get the need for dramatic pauses but it seemed a bit stupid.

Though I'm still happy to give it a 10 as Tyrion was a total boss, Tywin and Oberyn were fantastic whilst Cersei's actress is also doing a great job of making me hate her, also a good appearance from Stanis.

Finished the episode wanting more thinking it was the best they'd done for a while!

Gave it a nine.

Loved the entire trial and thought this was one of the scenes the series truly nailed. IIRC Tyrion got in some even stronger lines than he did in the book. And yeah, Dinklage is just awesome!

Episode 6: this was heading into solid 8 territory until the trial, perhaps even including the trial until PD

pushed it up to 9. Most of the other segments were of either 7 or 8 quality. I'm not sure why they

changed the Daenerys segment so much from the books; I suppose they wanted to highlight the

crucifixion issue, or maybe they thought the masters had acquiesced too easily in the books (although

that's not really the case). Still, it worked decently well. Ramsay dragged a little, and I could've done

without Oberyn/Varys.

601 votes in, 8.79 average, 9 median, 8.95 normalized average.

Now that we've seen all 5 Cogman episodes produced thus far, do you think he's the best GoT writer?

Better than Martin mayhap? ^_^

Edited by Mr Fixit

Did a quick look comparing polling, and averaging out their episodes, George averages a bit higher than Cogman. Cogman has been less variable, though. George's average was brought well down by "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", though, and I suppose it should be noted that it seems a couple of the scenes people were most negative about seem not to have actually been written by George, according to GRRM's Bluray commentary, so... perhaps that mitigates. Or perhaps not.

ETA: Averaging out just my own votes concurs that I hold a similar view -- George pips Cogman, but is more inconsistent (thanks to "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", but also thanks to "Blackwater"; GRRM's the only one of the two to have gotten a 10 from me so far).

Edited by Ran

I must question the casting of the Iron Bank chairman and Hizdar. English viewers will (hopefully) know what I mean. Both are rather comedic characters in several series so I couldn't help thinking of these whilst viewing. I know it's not the actor's fault, etc., just a comment.

Australians felt the same about Eric Bana. He was fortunate enough to land the international roles to break out of his comedy stereotype. You just have to look at what the actor is doing now rather than what they did in the past.

ETA: Averaging out just my own votes concurs that I hold a similar view -- George pips Cogman, but is more inconsistent (thanks to "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", but also thanks to "Blackwater"; GRRM's the only one of the two to have gotten a 10 from me so far).

The other being... let me guess... Baelor?

ETA: Strike that. I seem to have misinterpreted you. You didn't say that you gave only two episodes a 10, but that Cogman is the one (as opposed to Martin) you've never given a 10. Right?

I personally simply adore Kissed by Fire. That one deserves a straight 10 in my opinion. One of the very best episodes the show has ever done.

Edited by Mr Fixit

As every single person who viewed this episode has said, Tyrion's trial was perfection. Totally engrossing in every way.

Loved every character present at the trial and on this alone I would have scored it a 10. Add Oberyn, Tywin, Varys, Davos, the sadististly demented Ramsey Snow and mind numbingly, tortured Reek and and i'm still voting a 10.

However, Ashe/Yarra's attempted rescue of Theon/Reek was laughable in so many ways and Dany continues to bore me, although I did enjoy that little bitch slap she received

I gave it a 9

Now that we've seen all 5 Cogman episodes produced thus far, do you think he's the best GoT writer?

Better than Martin mayhap? ^_^

I'd say D&D are the best GoT writers. They always deliver on the big moments, and, unlike GRRM or BC (both of whom are amazing, but BC>GRRM), have much more on their plate. They probably get less time, but produce amazing scenes. The Rains of Castamere, Baelor and And Now His Watch Is Ended are all undoubtedly some of the greatest episodes of TV ever, and among the 7 best GoT episodes- BC and GRRM both have two (they get less, but very juicy scenes). We're incredibly lucky to have these 4 amazing writers working on GoT- I can't wait to see how Dave Hill does next season!

I'd say D&D are the best GoT writers. They always deliver on the big moments, and, unlike GRRM or BC (both of whom are amazing, but BC>GRRM), have much more on their plate. They probably get less time, but produce amazing scenes. The Rains of Castamere, Baelor and And Now His Watch Is Ended are all undoubtedly some of the greatest episodes of TV ever, and among the 7 best GoT episodes- BC and GRRM both have two (they get less, but very juicy scenes). We're incredibly lucky to have these 4 amazing writers working on GoT- I can't wait to see how Dave Hill does next season!

I think the argument goes - not unfairly - that Cogman is more consistent. While D&D do occasionally write a weaker script here and there, all of Cogman's episodes have been really top notch. In my view, he wrote the second best episode of Season 2, What Is Dead May Never Die, it's a tie between Rains of Castamere and Kissed by Fire for the honour of being the best Season 3 episode, and Laws of Gods and Men has clearly been the best episode of Season 4 so far. Bryan is very very good indeed.

On the other hand, I feel that GRRM is somewhat overrated on these boards. Not that his episodes are bad, they're certainly not, but besides Blackwater I don't think they particularly stand out. The Pointy End is great, but not quite on the level of episodes directly preceding or following it. The Bear and the Maiden Fair is among the weaker Season 3 outings (though still pretty good; I don't get all the hate directed at it or The Climb), while The Lion and the Rose, although a good and enjoyable episode, is somewhat uneven at times.

Edited by Mr Fixit

I think the argument goes - not unfairly - that Cogman is more consistent. While D&D do occasionally write a weaker script here and there, all of Cogman's episodes have been really top notch. In my view, he wrote the second best episode of Season 2, What Is Dead May Never Die, it's a tie between Rains of Castamere and Kissed by Fire for the honour of being the best Season 3 episode, and Laws of Gods and Men has clearly been the best episode of Season 4 so far. Bryan is very very good indeed.

On the other hand, I feel that GRRM is overrated on these boards. Not that his episodes are bad, they're certainly not, but besides Blackwater I don't think they particularly stand out. The Pointy End is a great episode, but not quite on the level of episodes directly preceding or following it. The Bear and the Maiden Fair is among the weaker Season 3 outings (though still pretty good; I don't get all the hate directed at it or The Climb), while The Lion and the Rose, although a good and enjoyable episode, is somewhat uneven at times.

Oh yes, Bryan Cogman is undoubtedly more consistent. However, he also only has one to two episodes to write every season, so he can focus on those instead of having to be responsible for 7 episodes per season. This season, D&D have been incredibly consistent, and I'm pretty sure they will knock it out of the park with the last 4! By the way, I agree that GRRM is a little overrated on the board, if only due to him making the worst episode of the series (barring The Night Lands) when the material he was given was slightly weaker than what he usually gets (about on par with what D&D get in their first three episodes, but they seem to do a better job).

Edited by Frey Pies