Sign in to follow this  
Ran

How would you rate episode 406?

How would you rate episode 406?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

The Sceen at dreadfort, as many have mentioned, seemed pointless, they really didn't need it TBH, not after the scene in season 3 were Theon's fathers calls him "no son of mine."

But Tyrion, at the trial, gave me goose bumps. Well done, very well done, Dinklage shines here, we knew his talent but he lets it all out. His range, and show had me feeling his characters deep seeded injustices.

Solid 10

4/10

- Yara's assault was just plain bad. Underwhelming. Hated how they turned Ramsay into a "badass" fighter.

- Iron bank of Braavos was a disappointment despite a decent performance (as usual) from Liam Cunningham.

- The dialogue between Daenerys and Hizdahr zo Loraq was some of the worst acting i've seen in the entire series.

- The constant reminders about Oberyn's sexuality were cringeworthy. Far worse than previous episodes. It's just getting embarrassing now.

- The trial itself was okay. Nothing exceptional, but not particularly disappointing. Sibel Kekilli once again proved that she's not a good actress.

Overall, one of the most disappointing episodes I can remember. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by Ilúvatar

9 Why?

Dragons, Davos, Varys and Tyrion's Cnfession.

Mostly this ep. advanced the story. Yara had better get word to the Moat Calln about Theon losing his mind, hehe.

Bravos fanfic was meh

That trial though . . .

The only time the show has ever given me goosebumps. Peter Dinklage nailed it. Nailed it. The score building in the background, the final face off of Tywin and Tyrion and Tywin's realization that his pact with Jamie is now borked . . . Fantastic

FalseKnight,

Like I said. The Reek specific stuff was good, i.e. showing how far he is gone. But the stuff leading up to it and following it is nonsensical. They should have gone for something other than a commando raid on the Dreadfort.

that ends when Ramsay threatens them with .... dogs

4/10

- The dialogue between Daenerys and Hizdahr zo Loraq was some of the worst acting i've seen in the entire series.

I beg to differ on this. I thought Emilia potrayed the guilt of crusifying a non-evil master rather perfectly. It was as subtle as it needed to be.

8/10, mostly for the trial. Asha's little trip was a baffling waste of time, but Christ... that trial. Even Jaime's early role in it fit perfectly.

My sentiment exactly.

Rated a 9! Nothing felt rushed, the trial and Kings Landing scenes were revealing, especially hinting on the mystery that is. Varys. Yara is a terrible name choice for Asha, but what's done is done. I had forgotten her name was changed until she said it.

This was definitely my favorite episode of the season thus far. The trial was amazing, I loved the Davos scene in Braavos, Drogon looked badass and even most of the filler stuff and deviations from the book were well done (I loved the deviation with Hizdahr). I gave it an 8, entirely because of the clumsy way the Asha storyline was handled...although the aftermath scene with Ramsey and Reek and the bath was great.

Loved this episode. Tyrion will make a worthy competitor for best actor going against Walter White, and Rust Cole.

The Asha part was stupid. So she was cornered and Ramsey just lets her go? How did she get out of the dungeon? Sometimes when D and D need to add a scene it seems like they don't know how to make the scene realistic.

Still gave it a 9 because watching Shae burn Tyrion was perfect and basically how I pictured it.

Only reason I gave it an 8 is because of the Yara plot line. Other than that the episode was great loved the end credits.

I'm giving this a 9.5 and I haven't seen it yet.I trust you guys so much.

Pretty much the only weak part of the episode was the ironborn attack on the Dreadfort. Actually, it wasn't that badly written in terms of dialogue, the pacing/cinematography was okay, the acting great all around. Just that the *basic idea* of it was pure filler and didn't really amount to anything. I say this as a book fan: TV-first fans I know were confused at how much hype they gave to Yara Greyjoy in the Season 3 finale. And how the heck did they circumnavigate Westeros to the Dreadfort? But again, good writing managed to smooth it in fairly well, it wasn't even "weak" so much as just "not strong", sort of just there.

Other minor complaints on an otherwise solid 9 of an episode:

First, I wish that at least one of the Braavosi bankers was black, to emphasize how much of a melting pot Braavos is.

Second...maybe this was due to time constraints so I sympathize, but when Hizdahr pleaded that he be allowed to give his father a proper burial...I *really* wish that after he left, Barristan leaned in to Daenerys and said he felt she made the right decision, by pointing out to her that even Robert "The Usurper" Baratheon, who killed her brother Rhaegar at the Trident, afterwards Barristan and other captured Targaryen loyalists pleaded that Robert allow Rhaegar to be given a proper funeral (by cremation, as per Valyrian custom) and that even Robert relented and allowed them to do so. That would have tied in very well. Though again, maybe it was time constraints.

A 8 for the King's Landing scenes!

For Dinklage, Dinklage, Dinklage, and Coster-Waldau. For them and because of them this episode rises to one of the best of the season.

There's an Emmy for Dinklage in this episode I suspect.

Edited by Sun

In all fairness I didn't take it as "the ironborn are scared off by dogs" but that Yara had already lost several men, the garrison was waking up, and specifically in that room, Ramsay wasn't outnumbered because he could let loose the dogs...who would attack *in addition to* his remaining soldiers in the room, turning the odds against Yara. Chances diminishing fast, she chose to retreat while she could.

Yeah...visually maybe some viewers would jump to "haha they're scared by hunting dogs" but even I, who didn't like the subplot, just saw it as "concentration of force, turning the numbers against the dwindling ironborn raiding party".