[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

Yea seriously its like everyone forgot he lost his right hand. Honestly my friends didn't even really entertain Jaime as an option for very long for that reason.

I don't find it so unreasonable. Most of my friends are asking themselves who would even dare to fight for Tyrion as you sort of challenge the crown. So even if you win, it's not like you would be very appreciated afterwards. So for those who think it could be Jaime, it's not a question of him being a good fighter, but him being the only one that dares to do it making it even more tragic that he has only one hand and that he as a kingsguard would chose his brother over "the king" that tyrion might have killed on his watch.

Although due to the reasoning many actually do more suspect Oberyn as he has been portrayed as someone who is not afraid to stand up against the Lannisters. However hardly anyone makes the connection to the Mountain, him not being on screen at all, they just don't consider him, but mainly people that are already in King's Landing. Loras is actually among the picks as it would be a win-win situation for Cersei.

I'm surprised, honestly, at so many people thinking Jaime will be either side's champion. I mean, I get it on the surface-- but think about it. He has one fucking hand and is shown to not be such a good fighter. Neither side is dumb enough to risk the outcome on Jaime.

He's been pretty good with his one hand. Granted they super-cut down his ability with 2 though

Yea seriously its like everyone forgot he lost his right hand. Honestly my friends didn't even really entertain Jaime as an option for very long for that reason.

A friend of mine said that Oberyn would eventually go wild on King's Landing and Jaime would be the only one capable of stopping him.

I was speechless....

All of my friends think either Jamie or Bronn will fight for Tyrion. They are also convinced that he is definetly going to win, and there is no way he will possibly lose. Oh you sweet summer children..

HAhah thats exactly what my unsullied friend thinks.

Hubby was all "Tyrion is gonna die. These are his last episodes. He's gonna die." I had to remind him about the whole champion thing. He was very impressed by Braavos and I think he may even be starting to like Stannis a little bit. He is much more likeable when he's not around Melisandre. I think he was confused by Shae's betrayal.

Also, Alfie Allen killed it too b/c hubby also commented about how he not Theon anymore and "What did that guy do to him?" I think he feels bad for Theon.

thinking that Jamie will be i championing either the Crown (as KG Commander) or Tyrion isnt a bad spec for the unsullied. It makes good dramatic sense especially if you think that Jamie dies this season in a final act of redemption.

Husbands reactions...

Titan of Braavos - "OMG look at thats F***n awesome!"

Stannis in Braavos (or anywhere) - "That guys an idiot don't you think?" (um ...NO)

Davos at the baths scene - "oooh Titties" (eyes glaze over and does not hear the dialogue)

Dany (anywhere) - " mmmmKhaleeeeesi" (drooling inappropriately)

Tyrions Trial - "Oh the poor little buggar. He's F***ed"

- " That Cerseis a bitch" (Finally!)

- " That Lying WHORE!"

- "Jaime will fight for him...against Tywin...What do you mean I will have to wait and see...Tell me .." (um...NO!)

I'm surprised, honestly, at so many people thinking Jaime will be either side's champion. I mean, I get it on the surface-- but think about it. He has one fucking hand and is shown to not be such a good fighter. Neither side is dumb enough to risk the outcome on Jaime.

Hehe yeah it makes no logical sense, but storywise it would be fantastic don't you think? The combat could be dull and one sided but I understand why people think it will go this way. There are several interesting possibilities for non-readers. Bronn vs Jaime especially after their training. Oberyn vs Jamie. Bronn vs the Mountain. Jamie vs the Mountain. Oberyn vs the Mountain. All duels have some foreshadowing throughout this season. If I wouldn't read the books I would myself somehow expect Jamie to at least want to fight for Tyrion. Yeah I agree that neither side would be dumb enough for wanting Jamie to fight, but the way this was setup in the TV series, Tyrion could have no other choice. What if Oberyn wouldn't even offer to fight and Bronn would refuse because he was promised lordship. Then even left handed Jaime would probably be better than Tyrion himself. But sadly it will go on as in the books. And to me that is probably the only issue I have with GRRM character wise, that he decided to kill off Oberyn so damn fast.

Husband is afraid that Tyrion will be executed and if he's gone, he says he'll stop watching (yea, right. Like he really has a choice!). However, since Tyrion won his last trial by combat, he thinks he'll be okay but by now unsullied realize that no one is safe.

He also didn't remember Braavos when it appeared in the opening. I had to do a little reminder about the Iron Bank and also that it's where Faceless Men come from, not to mention Syrio. Okay, I'm a little obsessed with Braavos.

Thought the whole Ramsay/Yara scene was stupid. He said that men with big swords could easily kill a bunch of dogs, especially since they were in separate cages and wouldn't be released at once.

I don't find it so unreasonable. Most of my friends are asking themselves who would even dare to fight for Tyrion as you sort of challenge the crown. So even if you win, it's not like you would be very appreciated afterwards. So for those who think it could be Jaime, it's not a question of him being a good fighter, but him being the only one that dares to do it making it even more tragic that he has only one hand and that he as a kingsguard would chose his brother over "the king" that tyrion might have killed on his watch.

This. At this point, there are only three people in KL who have not openly abandoned Tyrion: Jaime, Bronn and Oberyn. Of those three, Jaime is the most obvious choice (because he already showed that he would do almost anything to save his little brother), followed by Bronn (because he already championed him once). Oberyn is really more of an obscure choice from that standpoint.

This. At this point, there are only three people in KL who have not openly abandoned Tyrion: Jaime, Bronn and Oberyn. Of those three, Jaime is the most obvious choice (because he already showed that he would do almost anything to save his little brother), followed by Bronn (because he already championed him once). Oberyn is really more of an obscure choice from that standpoint.

Oberyn is the obvious choice if you spoil it for them though ;)

She also said she didn't care about Theon until he became Reek, and that his performance was perfect this week and it was in its own league along with Peter's. I was really happy she's starting to appreciate him.

She also likes Yara and thinks she's cool.

She literally doesn't give a shit about Stannis and I'm sad.

She seems like she expects Tyrion to win his trial and have life go on as normal. When I brought up that even if he's declared innocent, Tywin could disinherit him, or Cersei could kill him, or he could be banished, she was like "Oh...".

She actually liked Dany this week and was surprised by the fact that she did. She's sick of Dany being in Essos so when Dany announced she was staying, my friend was like "fuck this i dun currrr" but she liked it this week and liked that it was Dany actually having some troubles and not knowing what to do and getting shown what was what.

I know that feeling very well. I too watch this with a girlfriend of mine and she is utterly bored with Stannis (dubbing him as the most uninteresting man on Earth). Which is painful for me, being a staunch supporter of Stannis since he first appeared in Season 2. However, sad as I am to admit it, she has a point. My love for Stannis stems from the second season and the books, but the showrunners really don't give him any love in Seasons 3 and 4. They portray him as a religious fanatic (burning people for heresy, really, I can't argue with her on that, being an atheist myself) and in the latest season he basically sits moping over his bad fortunes, expecting others (mostly Davos) to do stuff for him. I can see why he would become a boring character for my girlfriend and other casual viewers, who haven't read the books. I just really hope they redeem him in later episodes and prove her wrong.

Seems like a lot of non-readers are already picking up on the seeds they've planted for Gregor/Oberyn.. of course showing footage of them fighting in the season preview does spoil that a bit.. as well as showing the mountain in the next episode shot. I just hope the "Oberyn stepping up when no one else will" moment is as badass as it needs to be.

My mother thinks it will be Meryn Trant vs. The Hound.. I suggested to her what about Oberyn to which she replied "who?" ...

Archived