[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

i'm throwing my unsullied friends off by suggesting Loras vs. Jaime...

"Margery could convince Loras to fight on behalf of Jofferey to impress Tommen more and continue playing her part of "mourning widow"

jaime already so willing to give up kingsguard for Tyrion would probably jump at chance to defend Tyrion and kill Loras before his marriage to Cersei"

they bought it :devil: :devil:

I don't find it so unreasonable. Most of my friends are asking themselves who would even dare to fight for Tyrion as you sort of challenge the crown. So even if you win, it's not like you would be very appreciated afterwards. So for those who think it could be Jaime, it's not a question of him being a good fighter, but him being the only one that dares to do it making it even more tragic that he has only one hand and that he as a kingsguard would chose his brother over "the king" that tyrion might have killed on his watch.

Although due to the reasoning many actually do more suspect Oberyn as he has been portrayed as someone who is not afraid to stand up against the Lannisters. However hardly anyone makes the connection to the Mountain, him not being on screen at all, they just don't consider him, but mainly people that are already in King's Landing. Loras is actually among the picks as it would be a win-win situation for Cersei.

Good point on Jaime. Maybe a lot of unsullied aren't considering The Mountain but I'm telling you all 3 of my friends are pretty set on him being a champion for Tywin/Cersei. It makes a lot of sense since he is Twyin's man when the possibility is considered.

So my flatmate made a lot of comments about the episode, which is not like her:

- She kind of hates Stannis, she thinks he's very unpleasant, and she finds normal that Davos is always so bitter, having to serve such an unlikeable king :laugh:

- She absolutely loved everything about Braavos :)

- I'm happy with her opinions on Dany: she's realised ruling is not going to be as easy as giving cool speeches and slaughter slavers, and she doesn't like this darker, hot-headed side of her: she wishes she could be more pensive and prudent.

- She now adores Jaime because she thinks his sacrifice is "the sweetest thing we've ever seen in this show". Of course, she pities Tyrion. She wondered if Shae is doing it only out of spite, or if there's been bribes/threats.

- She predicted Jaime would fight for the Crown against Tyrion and everything would be so fucked up and tragic. Then I explained that Tyrion was likely to choose a champion too, since he's not a warrior, and she doesn't know what will happen anymore.

- I was sad that she didn't remember Tysha at all, or that Tywin had asked Shae to be brought to his chamber.

My Father agreed with the People thinking, Bronn will have to fight Jaime in the Trial fro Combat, but since he (impressively) predicted that it was Littlefinger and Olenna who poisoned Joffrey, he demanded to be spoiled. He was quick to realize Oberyn would be fighting, when I told him, the Mountain was involved, though.

Sadly, he still thinks of Stannis as a total Loser and Whimp who can't do Shit on his own, either relying on Melisandre or Davos. I really hope they do at least something to give him a Sense of Leadership and Independence back. He also perceived him as humourless and bleak, which is also sad, but true for the Show Character as he presents himself to more casual Watchers.

Luckily, he agrees with me, that Daenerys is slowly slipping. Her Actions in the last few Episodes were met with disregard for her Intentions and we all agreed, that Hizdahr practically owned her this Episode. He was almost gleeful while saying "that's what she gets when she wants to rule". It gave me Hope.

And, of course, everyone enjoys Oberyn not giving a single fuck about anything.

Seems like a lot of non-readers are already picking up on the seeds they've planted for Gregor/Oberyn.. of course showing footage of them fighting in the season preview does spoil that a bit.. as well as showing the mountain in the next episode shot. I just hope the "Oberyn stepping up when no one else will" moment is as badass as it needs to be.

My mother thinks it will be Meryn Trant vs. The Hound.. I suggested to her what about Oberyn to which she replied "who?" ...

Yes, this spoiler in the previews sucked because I think enough show only fans saw that and have put two and two together to make the reaction less significant. They SAW Oberyn fighting in his armor and fancy moves - they know he's going to be the champion but they don't know why or for which side yet so I guess that's ok. No one seems to be remembering the Mountain even though there have been reminders. I think they screwed the pooch on that one by leaving him out too often in previous episodes / seasons and also changing actors. Now show-only viewers are confused and don't remember Gregor Clegane much. Oberyn's story of Elia's murder being retold in the "previously on GoT" opener will help I suppose.

One of my friends asked if the trial was gonna be Tywin vs. Tyrion :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I had to explain the championing thing to her, and then her guess was Jaime vs. Bronn. But after a bit of elaboration on the circumstances by me, her prediction was "Jaime is gonna defend Tyrion even though he's not a great warrior anymore, because he's only the only one who cares about him".

She also has a feeling that Oberyn's revenge is coming soon, and she has a feeling that the trial will have something to do with it: but she doesn't even want to think about Oberyn getting himself into any combats, because she loves him and doesn't want anything bad to happen to him :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They think bronn will fight for tyrion against the mountain. They think shae is a triflin bitch and lloved the tyrion speech. They are amped up after Davos speech with the bank but I don't think they know where Stannis is going after he gets His money.

No hound scenes was also a big bummer for them. I've shown them a bunch of videos of Bjornson the actor for the mountain and I've explained to them how plate works and that the mountains strength allows him to wear the highest amount of protection and that the dude wields a two hander in one hand. I've made sure that they understand oberyns anger and who Elia was and what happened to her children. But they have not mentioned if they think oberyn will be involved.

After theorizing for at least a half an hour, my husband concluded that Oberyn and the Mountain would pair up for combat. The trial was the only part on his mind. He was so worked up over it that he all but forgot everything else. *chuckles*

When Tyrion asked for a trial by combat, my daughter thought that he was sacrificing himself so that Jaime wouldn't have to do what Tywin wants him to.

When she watched next week's promo, she thought that the Mountain was going to be going after the Hound.

Agreed - Most unsullied feel like it will be Bronn (Tyrion) vs. Jamie (Joff) which I think D&D wanted to set up with pairing them this season (outside of just Ilyn Payne's actor's health). My pop's asked - who gets to pick first (cersei/tywin or Tyrion), once I said the crown he thought Cersei would pick Jaime and Tyrion would be torn not wanting to go against his brother and accept defeat or go to the wall if the options still available.

Yes, watching with my friend, her thoughts -

"That statue is cool, Oh thats Bravoos, isn't that where Jaqen is from." (No, he is from Lorathi but yeah sorry your right).

"Shit more Stannis, I hate him" ("WHAT STOP WHY") "He killed his brother, not redeemable, well only if he helps Jon somehow (swoon)" (shutup, I am way better looking them him)

"Is Theon gonna kill his sister?", "Wow Theon is totally broken, he is like his little creature" (agreed)

"Yes brown people!!!!, Yes Dragon's!!!!!!!!!!!!!, oh shit they're being mean stop it" (disclamier - she is indian not racist ha)

"Oh that Hizdar guy is gonna be important later", "is he gonna try to kill Dany, like poison her or something" (Maybe), "Ok, that means yes, damnit why do minoritys hate Dany" (except for the million that call her Mysha)

"That's why I love Tyrion, he is so sarcastic" , "Shit, I fell asleep for acouple minutes", "Bringing in all these people to talk about Tyrion reminds me of the season finale of Seinfeld"

"Oh Jamie, (swoon)", (Shut-up), "What, why is Shae, doing that. Did Tywin get her to do it or something"

"Jamie is gonna fight against Bronn and win, they can't kill Tyrion off, please tell me" (No chance), "I'm not having sex with you", "Oh that makes sense Oberyn is totally gonna beat the Mountain"

Yes, this spoiler in the previews sucked because I think enough show only fans saw that and have put two and two together to make the reaction less significant. They SAW Oberyn fighting in his armor and fancy moves - they know he's going to be the champion but they don't know why or for which side yet so I guess that's ok. No one seems to be remembering the Mountain even though there have been reminders. I think they screwed the pooch on that one by leaving him out too often in previous episodes / seasons and also changing actors. Now show-only viewers are confused and don't remember Gregor Clegane much. Oberyn's story of Elia's murder being retold in the "previously on GoT" opener will help I suppose.

That's the sometimes annoying but sometimes also good thing over here, we hardly get any of the trailers and also nothing of the "previously on" (which can be confusing for some) and I really try to not spoil anything to anyone.

I guess that's why here also no one I know has the Mountain on the list as he was just not present at all for quite a while and last time he was in King's Landing he basically stormed off and I'm not even sure people know he is still "working" for Tywin.

Since today Bronn also basically vanished from many guesses, because many people figure he betrayed Tyrion as he told him he took Shae to the ship but she obviously wasn't.

Unsullied friend of mine is saying

Bravos is soo close to meereen, why doesn't Stannis team up with Dany?

Made me think...in the books, I cant remember Stannis' reaction to Dany being alive and with dragons...if he as honorable as he says he is, shouldn't he bend the knee to her?

IMO, as far as Stannis is concerned, Dany "the Unburnt" and Aegon "the Unbashed" have no claim to the IT. The Targ Dynasty has ended, The Usurper won and thus gave the line of succession to the Stags.

Thats just IMO how he thinks though.

IMO, as far as Stannis is concerned, Dany "the Unburnt" and Aegon "the Unbashed" have no claim to the IT. The Targ Dynasty has ended, The Usurper won and thus gave the line of succession to the Stags.

Thats just IMO how he thinks though.

Exactly: according to his way of thinking, Stannis considers that his brother Robert rightfully won the throne, and he was rightfully King of the Seven Kingdoms by right of conquest.

first my friend said that Jaime will fight for Tyrion. When I asked how he is gonna do that with just one hand he said in this case Jaime will help Tyrion escape and that there will be no fight at all. I was actually quite impressed by this prediction!

Archived