[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

An unsullied friend of mine begged and pleaded for two days now to be spoiled as to whether or not Tyrion dies so I finally relented and said no, but now that seems to have just made it worse because then they wanted to know more details and I followed it up with "No details, read the book - but Tyrion's life is fucked after this ..." hahhaaa. I'm so mean. So now they're certain he goes to the wall and becomes buddies with Jon. Hey they DID beg for the answer but sometimes the answer is worse than not knowing if it only leads to more questions! ;)

My unsullied friend thinks Oberyn is an interesting character, who should get more screen time and information on his background. He wants to know more about his family and culture. :D

Is starting to dislike Dany and has missed Tyrion but the wait was worth that speech...and he better not die!

Thinks Jaime will be involved in a family conflict over who he will champion (Cersei or Tyrion).

Unsullied husband liked the episode, with the exception of the Yara debacle. He said it was "a complete waste of time" and "they have so many stories to tell with such little air time, I would rather have seen what was happening with Arya or at the Wall."

Agreed - Most unsullied feel like it will be Bronn (Tyrion) vs. Jamie (Joff) which I think D&D wanted to set up with pairing them this season (outside of just Ilyn Payne's actor's health). My pop's asked - who gets to pick first (cersei/tywin or Tyrion), once I said the crown he thought Cersei would pick Jaime and Tyrion would be torn not wanting to go against his brother and accept defeat or go to the wall if the options still available.

Yes, watching with my friend, her thoughts -

"That statue is cool, Oh thats Bravoos, isn't that where Jaqen is from." (No, he is from Lorathi but yeah sorry your right).

"Shit more Stannis, I hate him" ("WHAT STOP WHY") "He killed his brother, not redeemable, well only if he helps Jon somehow (swoon)" (shutup, I am way better looking them him)

"Is Theon gonna kill his sister?", "Wow Theon is totally broken, he is like his little creature" (agreed)

"Yes brown people!!!!, Yes Dragon's!!!!!!!!!!!!!, oh shit they're being mean stop it" (disclamier - she is indian not racist ha)

"Oh that Hizdar guy is gonna be important later", "is he gonna try to kill Dany, like poison her or something" (Maybe), "Ok, that means yes, damnit why do minoritys hate Dany" (except for the million that call her Mysha)

"That's why I love Tyrion, he is so sarcastic" , "Shit, I fell asleep for acouple minutes", "Bringing in all these people to talk about Tyrion reminds me of the season finale of Seinfeld"

"Oh Jamie, (swoon)", (Shut-up), "What, why is Shae, doing that. Did Tywin get her to do it or something"

"Jamie is gonna fight against Bronn and win, they can't kill Tyrion off, please tell me" (No chance), "I'm not having sex with you", "Oh that makes sense Oberyn is totally gonna beat the Mountain"

Hahaha! Sounds like my hubs, except replace swooning over Jon and Jaime to drooling over Dany. And, of course when he threatened to withhold sex for info I laughed and replied "that sounds as great punishment for you for not reading the books!" … he immediately took back the threat.

For my Unsullied it's a combination of being really close to the truth and being way, way off.

My male friend:

- Isn't Dany great for being so nice to those people? She's going to be a great queen when she goes home!
- Cersei and Tyrion will both choose Jaime and Jaime will have to choose between them OR Tyrion won't have a champion and will have to fight
- Tyrion will win the trial by combat, but Cersei is going to have him killed (I think he's predicting it because he doesn't want to be surprised by another major character death)
- Stannis is so boring and shouldn't be in the show
- Thinks the two different Daario actors are two different characters, I had to explain they recast him

My female friend:

- Tyrion is requesting a trial by combat because he knows nobody will step up for him, and he's buying time pretending to look for a champion while he finds a way to escape. She also predicts Jaime will betray Cersei and Tywin and help him do so, along with Oberyn.
- The Hound and Arya will become close, he will die and she will go on a quest to avenge him
- Petyr is plotting to kill Lysa and control the Vale
- Oberyn is the best character on the show and if he somehow dies she will riot

My male friend tends to forget what happens season to season so I'm not surprised he doesn't have a clue. I'm quite impressed with my female friend picking up on the Petyr-Vale thing. When I asked her when she thought he was going to kill Lysa and control the Vale, she said because he 'gets everyone around him killed' and that 'he wants power BADLY'.

I heard from several people and read several times (on neogaf) that they think Daenerys made a mistake by allowing Hizdahr to bury his father's corpse because it made her look weak. They all think that has been the actual mistake, not the crucifixions..

Boyfriend: 'Well, I've seen a spoiler, so I know that Tyrion wins his trial by combat and goes to Essos' - the poor lad loves Oberyn, so he's going to be heartbroken.

'I was glad when the shepherd unrolled his bundle and it was just goat bones. I thought it was going to be his kid!' - just you wait...

He also thinks that there's no point in Dany even bothering with the Iron Throne. 'She's going to realise that she's already got an empire in Essos. There's plenty of stuff for her to do there!'

I heard from several people and read several times (on neogaf) that they think Daenerys made a mistake by allowing Hizdahr to bury his father's corpse because it made her look weak. They all think that has been the actual mistake, not the crucifixions..

Because Daenerys is perfect. She shits sunshine and pukes rainbows. How could any of her badass decisions ever be poor? I'm starting to think that her fanboys/fangirls are part of why I dislike her so much.

Well, someone's in for another heart-break...

I agree on Dany, but only because she's a girl and thus not heir to anything (at least by Westerosi laws). Now, if a legitimate, male Targaryen heir were to show up (not convinced on Aegon)... that might seriously shake up Stannis, IMO.

Wrong. According to the Westeros law, she is the heir to the throne if there is no male Targaryen.

Wrong. According to the Westeros law, she is the heir to the throne if there is no male Targaryen.

totally...this is why the dothraki system works, when the khal dies, the other immediately kill all his children so shit like this cant happen...robert had the right of things, to maintain the Baratheon dynasty, all Targ's needed to be killed...

truthfully, i quite disliked Dany in the books, but i cant deny that she has the strongest claim to the Throne...Stannis, being as honorable as he claims to be, should bend the knee to her and her dragons

totally...this is why the dothraki system works, when the khal dies, the other immediately kill all his children so shit like this cant happen...robert had the right of things, to maintain the Baratheon dynasty, all Targ's needed to be killed...

truthfully, i quite disliked Dany in the books, but i cant deny that she has the strongest claim to the Throne...Stannis, being as honorable as he claims to be, should bend the knee to her and her dragons

The thing with Stannis is that he considers that Robert rightfully won the Iron Throne. From Stannis' point of view, Robert was the rightful king of the Seven Kingdoms: not by birthright, but by what is called "right of conquest". So the Targaryen dinasty is over and the Baratheons rightfully hold the throne.

My female friend has a major crush on Oberyn. I teased her that he was going to die in the next episode and she didn't even want to think about it. "If he ever dies I'll be so incredibly heartbroken and in ruins. Like, I liked Robb and suffered with his death, but I like Oberyn way more". I was so touched that I had to advise her "it's not wise to get too attached to any character in this show..."

By the way, she didn't remember who the Mountain was :frown5: My Unsullied are having a hard time following events lately: my flatmate never understood the Jon Arryn bussiness. My best friend is the only one who does keep track of virtually everything: he commented on how Petyr is amazing and in the end he was behind everything.

The thing with Stannis is that he considers that Robert rightfully won the Iron Throne. From Stannis' point of view, Robert was the rightful king of the Seven Kingdoms: not by birthright, but by what is called "right of conquest". So the Targaryen dinasty is over and the Baratheons rightfully hold the throne.

My female friend has a major crush on Oberyn. I teased her that he was going to die in the next episode and she didn't even want to think about it. "If he ever dies I'll be so incredibly heartbroken and in ruins. Like, I liked Robb and suffered with his death, but I like Oberyn way more". I was so touched that I had to advise her "it's not wise to get too attached to any character in this show..."

By the way, she didn't remember who the Mountain was :frown5: My Unsullied are having a hard time following events lately: my flatmate never understood the Jon Arryn bussiness. My best friend is the only one who does keep track of virtually everything: he commented on how Petyr is amazing and in the end he was behind everything.

:tantrum: you make a really good point with the Right of Conquest,,,,but it should not apply when the children of the previous King are still alive...i know my way of thinking on this is very wrong but here's what I believe...

Targ's conquered, brought the 7 kingdoms together and ruled on nearly 300 yrs (minus 2 decades or so)

Robert rebelled, crushed the Targs and hence became rightful king...acceptable

Ruled about 2 decades or so.

He left no trueborn children...

imo, last Targ kings trueborn children has much stronger claim than Robert's siblings...a 17 or so year reign should not give all the Baratheon heir's (no matter how distant) more claim to the Throne than the trueborn child of the previous king, whose family ruled for centuries...just IMO

if it turns out fAegon is actually Aegon, then i would probably think he has more claim than Dany...

about the names, totally, most of my unsullied friends mess up on the names alll the time...thankfully all of the ones i know got the Jon Arryn reveal...a friend of mine who just started S1 last week was asking if he should write down their names to try to remember them...i didn't want to make the watching harder for him, so just assured that he'd be fine after a few more episodes... :dunno:

Think about giving your friend some charts of family trees (without spoilers obviously :D) and also a map, the interactive one is pretty great. Before I read the books, these two things really helped me to get a better grasp on the ASOIAF universe. It's waaaaay more exciting if you can imagine where the people are going and especially at the time of war.

On the Daenerys making the wrong decision thing ...

I watched an unsullied review of the episode that basically said the same thing, but they did not believe the crucifixions were right either. They basically saw it as Daenerys painting herself into a corner by acting so rashly without heeding council. It tied into the whole "let me pay three times the value of your flock" to the sheepherder bit. She acts impulsively, without thinking her actions all the way through. Hizdar put her in an impossible position. Agree with him, and she looks weak, but refuse him and she looks like a callous monster. It was a lose lose situation.

So ... give the unsullied some credit. I've actually heard from more unsullied that they think Daenerys is inexperienced than anything else. They do not see her as this bad ass savior. They recognize that she's had it good because all she's done is conquered and liberated so far, but that just means a fall is coming ...

That same video from the unsullied reviewers I watched pointed out something I did not even think about.

Daenerys was irritated by the fact that Hizdar had his servant announce him, when she's clearly going through this effort to liberate everyone. Hizdar claims his father spoke against the crucifixion of the children and might have been one of the more "benevolent" slave masters, but that does not mean Hizdar shares his views. The fact that he would have a servant present him to her court is kind of contradictory to all that.

It's certainly something to think about.

My mom never remembers anyones name so trying decipher what she thinks is going to happen is a bit difficult at times. She did say "That whore is a dirty whore!" (Shae) She also thinks Bronn is Tyrion's 'designated' trial by combat guy so it has to be him fighting for him.

My mother only ever remembers Arya, I can't even really watch with her because it turns into me having to explain who everyone is, how they're related, what's going on and that takes longer than the show itself.

For once I watched a bit of the show with my Dad, and of course it was the first part with all the boobs.

The thing with right of conquest is that it completely negates the previous dynasty. That's just how it works. When conquest happens and a new king is crowned via right of conquest (ie. Robert Baratheon) it doesn't matter how many Targs are still alive, they have no right to the throne whatever they may believe. Dany has no right to the throne. fAegon has no right to the throne. Stannis has the rightful claim, it's that simple. That's just how it works, it's pretty black and white.

Of course, if you leave members of the previous dynasty alive they're going to be pissed and want win back the throne via conquest, as we've seen. That's why you need to kill off the previous dynasty.

Archived