[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

I'm surprised, honestly, at so many people thinking Jaime will be either side's champion. I mean, I get it on the surface-- but think about it. He has one fucking hand and is shown to not be such a good fighter. Neither side is dumb enough to risk the outcome on Jaime.

I could understand why viewers would think that Tyrion would avoid choosing Jaime since he knows that his older brother can't fight worth a lick anymore, but does Cersei know that? Jaime can still flash bravado and seem like he's confident. Plus Cersei was never trained with weapons, so chances are, despite her lamenting that she wasn't the one to be born male, she has no clue how hard it would be to fight with your left hand after fighting with your right your whole life. For all she knows, knights are trained with both hands.

I could understand why viewers would think that Tyrion would avoid choosing Jaime since he knows that his older brother can't fight worth a lick anymore, but does Cersei know that? Jaime can still flash bravado and seem like he's confident. Plus Cersei was never trained with weapons, so chances are, despite her lamenting that she wasn't the one to be born male, she has no clue how hard it would be to fight with your left hand after fighting with your right your whole life. For all she knows, knights are trained with both hands.

Cersei isn't that dumb.

Plus she's the first to think Jaime is less than nothing now that he's lost his hand.

I try to ask questions and draw out predictions from my unsullied husband, but he's so laid back "I'm just here for the ride" and doesn't speculate much.

He has a hard time keeping up with the massive quantity of characters and locations so he does appreciate the occassional pause-and-expand-on-the-scene-without-spoilers insights I give him.

For instance, when we saw Hizdar again I paused and reminded him I pointed him out as a significant character to watch when Dany was first outside the walls of Mereen. He said "Oh, right! The 'Lenny Kravitz' dude..." Yes! lol

I feel like such a wanker when watching with my unsullied mates when I begin a sentence "in the books..." Or I pause it to say something.

I do my best not to do these things because I couldn't imagine anything more irritating to people who just wanna chill out and watch the show with out some wanker going on and on about what happens in the books.

Having said that, I did ask them who they thought would fight in the trial and no one guessed the Mountain.

My mate did think "that Spanish guy" would fight for Cersei against Tyrion who would fight by himself.

I feel like such a wanker when watching with my unsullied mates when I begin a sentence "in the books..." Or I pause it to say something.

I do my best not to do these things because I couldn't imagine anything more irritating to people who just wanna chill out and watch the show with out some wanker going on and on about what happens in the books.

Having said that, I did ask them who they thought would fight in the trial and no one guessed the Mountain.

My mate did think "that Spanish guy" would fight for Cersei against Tyrion who would fight by himself.

It happens to me too. I definitely learned long ago that any sentence that starts with 'in the books' is not welcomed. People who actually want to know how it is in the books, will read them. I guess they kind of feel that when you point something out, you're behaving like an "I have the books god", therefore, I have the power. That would be annoying. I would never spoil anything because I hate when things are spoiled for me...

(i.e. hated that sneak peak into the White walkers and thought that was a passive aggressive move by the producers… I mean, at east we warn before we spoil- ok rant over)

…but sometimes, I realize they have missed something and want them to get the full effect later on. So instead of making a "let me clarify for you moment" I subtly join in and add a bit of info. I did it with the whole Shae thing in the trial.

Someone said something about how it being especially cruel because she was the love of his life. I was appalled at this and knew later on they would not get the full impact of the Tysha confession. So, instead of straight correcting her, I went the round about way of I know, breaks my heart, it's so sad that no one ever loves him, do you remember his super sad story about the first girl he loved and now this?

I feel less smug and less 'in your face I know more then you' when I do it that way. They are also more receptive as they don't feel you're trying spoil their viewing experience by holding the books over them.

[snip]

Just wanted to tell you that your avatar rocks! Comedy gold :)

It happens to me too. I definitely learned long ago that any sentence that starts with 'in the books' is not welcomed. People who actually want to know how it is in the books, will read them. I guess they kind of feel that when you point something out, you're behaving like an "I have the books god", therefore, I have the power. That would be annoying. I would never spoil anything because I hate when things are spoiled for me...

[...]

Someone said something about how it being especially cruel because she was the love of his life. I was appalled at this and knew later on they would not get the full impact of the Tysha confession. So, instead of straight correcting her, I went the round about way of I know, breaks my heart, it's so sad that no one ever loves him, do you remember his super sad story about the first girl he loved and now this?

I feel less smug and less 'in your face I know more then you' when I do it that way. They are also more receptive as they don't feel you're trying spoil their viewing experience by holding the books over them.

You hit the nail on the head there. That's exactly what "in the books..." comes across as. It's like discussing your favourite movies with friends and you talk about you favourite scenes (maybe exaggerating a little here or forgetting a few details there) and every time you make the slightest mistake someone comes in and says "actually that was actor X, not actor Y" or "actually that was at the end of the first movie, not at the beginning of the second one". It just really starts to grate on your nerves after a while, to the point where you want to grab that person, shake them and yell "I know I'm not getting it 100% right - can you please let me watch/talk in peace now?"

So, small advice to book lovers with Unsullied friends: if people want to know what happens in the books, they'll either read them (as you pointed out) or specifically ask you "is it like this in the books?"

Also, I applaud your approach to dropping information for your Unsullied friends. That's a great way to do it and I'm sure they are grateful for it :)

My unsullied coworker came up to me today and asked "how do the dragons know to eat the goats, but not the goat herder or his kid?"

It was the first time he hit a question dead on the nail and I just turned around and walked away from him. Lmao!

He said later he thought I walked away because it was such a dumb question and I was like "Nope. That's not it at all."

Keeps thinking that if Tommen dies, the throne will pass to Jamie, keep on having to remind her Stannis is the rightful heir

Stannis is the rightful heir, but if Cersei's children are still recognized as legitimate, if Tommen dies, the throne passes to Myrcella, right? She'd have to kick it before it passed to Stannis.

Archived