Yet another balanced review of Stannis [Book Spoilers]

So I enjoyed this episode quite a lot, and I have very few complaints regarding these scenes with Stannis and Davos. He seems much more determined, and Davos' speech to the Iron Bank went a long way in reminding the audience that there's more to him than religous fanaticism and lust for power. I feel like getting him away from Mel for a couple scenes was a really smart move, as he doesn't seem like so much of a puppet when they're apart. I think this foreshadows him getting his mojo back when we start heading north, and I'm feeling extremely optimistic for epiosode 9. I've certainly been one of the moral vocal oppositions to this adaptation, as of season 3, but I really think they're starting to have him make a turn around. I certainly would have liked to have seen Stannis and Davos interacting with one another a bit more, maybe rekindling their friendship, but unfortunately their relationship has never been all that warm in the television series, and we'll just have to live with that as a different interpretation of their dynamic. He's certainly becoming more nuanced again, albeit slowly, and that's really all any of us have ever wanted. If this is indeed a redemption arc we're headed for, they need to do a bit more in order to balance out the various atrocities he's committed or attempted to, but I'm hopeful that we're gonna get back to a greyer, more lawful neutral character alignment moving forward. And with all that being said, have at it.

without Davos Stannis is weak...I am not anti-Stannis but have never been much of a fan of book or show versions. The scene at the Iron Bank showed me more about Davos' strength of character and wits than Stannis, he was ready to give up and walk away...

...just saying... :smoking:

without Davos Stannis is weak...I am not anti-Stannis but have never been much of a fan of book or show versions. The scene at the Iron Bank showed me more about Davos' strength of character and wits than Stannis, he was ready to give up and walk away...

have you read his last chapters or the WOWs one?

Best Stannis we ve ever seen, and without Mel and Davos.

On the other hand, what does it say about Stannis that someone as amazing as Davos is fanatically devoted to him?

I didn't mind Davos giving the big speech, since Stannis does not do big speeches--especially not about how awesome he is--and Stannis does not beg. I don't believe he would go any further than asserting his claim as the rightful one, which he did.

Nah yeah, I can see how you'd feel that way. I think he did a decent job of defending his rights though. His "more than any man living" line was on point. He has more agency in the books, but like I said, he's getting his mojo back. Also, Stannis doesn't have good people skills, so it's not really a surprise that Davos comes out as being more charismatic in this scene. Even though we're hearing it from Liam Cunninghan's mouth, I think his speech highlighted reasons for why Stannis is competent, reasons that the Unsullied have most certainly forgotten after a season and half of him just totally fucking up.

TV Stannis lacks any agecy and demands that everything be handed to him.

That look he gave to Davos was like" Do something bitch I am incapable of doing anything myself"

"Agency agency whitewashing character assassination butchery agency."

You people win the buzzword awards.

But Davos didn't get anything either.

But the circumstances in which the Iron Bank will intervene have been set out. Which is one of those areas where the books just leave it to the reader to join the dots.

The bank would have to be crazy to lend money to Stannis right now, they put the amount they already lent to the Lannister king at risk. But if the repayments are threatened...

Gatiss was...perfect? Can't think of a better way to act Iron Bank-er.

The whole scene was handled very well. From finally seeing Bravos in all of its glory, to Davos revealing the gold to Saan.

Sooo they get Saan's pirates and buy sellswords now??

You gotta give it to them. They don't give Stannis much of the dry humor, sense of duty, or iron determination that makes the character compelling, but goddamn do they nail Davos motherfucking Seaworth everytime.

Yeah nothing against Stephen DIllane though, He's a great Stannis imo

I'm sorry guys. I tried to MultiQuote, but it didn't work out as it does on most other forums, so I failed and quoted a bit too many.

And WAY MORE SORRY: this does not mean the show is going towards Book-Stannis.

This episodes' Stannis was due to Bryan Cogman, who allways do good with everything (including Stannis, which can not be said about D&D).

So I enjoyed this episode quite a lot, and I have very few complaints regarding these scenes with Stannis and Davos. He seems much more determined, and Davos' speech to the Iron Bank went a long way in reminding the audience that there's more to him than religous fanaticism and lust for power. I feel like getting him away from Mel for a couple scenes was a really smart move, as he doesn't seem like so much of a puppet when they're apart. I think this foreshadows him getting his mojo back when we start heading north, and I'm feeling extremely optimistic for epiosode 9. I've certainly been one of the moral vocal oppositions to this adaptation, as of season 3, but I really think they're starting to have him make a turn around. I certainly would have liked to have seen Stannis and Davos interacting with one another a bit more, maybe rekindling their friendship, but unfortunately their relationship has never been all that warm in the television series, and we'll just have to live with that as a different interpretation of their dynamic. He's certainly becoming more nuanced again, albeit slowly, and that's really all any of us have ever wanted. If this is indeed a redemption arc we're headed for, they need to do a bit more in order to balance out the various atrocities he's committed or attempted to, but I'm hopeful that we're gonna get back to a greyer, more lawful neutral character alignment moving forward. And with all that being said, have at it.

Nah yeah, I can see how you'd feel that way. I think he did a decent job of defending his rights though. His "more than any man living" line was on point. He has more agency in the books, but like I said, he's getting his mojo back. Also, Stannis doesn't have good people skills, so it's not really a surprise that Davos comes out as being more charismatic in this scene. Even though we're hearing it from Liam Cunninghan's mouth, I think his speech highlighted reasons for why Stannis is competent, reasons that the Unsullied have most certainly forgotten after a season and half of him just totally fucking up.

"Agency agency whitewashing character assassination butchery agency."

You people win the buzzword awards.

I love that he didn't beg the bank to give him money. Stannis does not beg.

Yeah nothing against Stephen DIllane though, He's a great Stannis imo

Stephen Dillane is the shit. It's the writing that's the problem. Oddly enough, the nuance that's missing from the writing is only mildly tolerable because of the complexity he brings to the character in his performance.

ok i will give on this point as i have been more for book-Stannis than show-Stannis who doesn't do it for me...but i agree the line was on point.

But Davos didn't get anything either.

But the circumstances in which the Iron Bank will intervene have been set out. Which is one of those areas where the books just leave it to the reader to join the dots.

The bank would have to be crazy to lend money to Stannis right now, they put the amount they already lent to the Lannister king at risk. But if the repayments are threatened...

i am sorry did you take it that they didn't give the money...I took it as they did...it was how he could pay Saan and leave a chest of the same with his wife...

You gotta give it to them. They don't give Stannis much of the dry humor, sense of duty, or iron determination that makes the character compelling, but goddamn do they nail Davos motherfucking Seaworth everytime.

i totally agree...i think Davos is the perfect marriage of a book and show character...

I liked the scene, Davos really shined, and we got to see Stannis being Stannis for once rather than some religious nut.

agreed the best thing about Stannis was his steadfast realism and when he is portrayed as a zealot...he loses the only thing he has going logic and reason... :smoking:

They still had the black water music though when we first saw Stannis on ship. I actually like the music but there's no other way to interpret it other than villianish. Stannis has 4k men, with the gold he will surely double that #. His triumph at the wall is going to be less glorious then it should be. Wildings outnumber Stannis 20-1 in book.

Archived