Yet another balanced review of Stannis [Book Spoilers]

They're portraying Stannis just fine. I watched the first two seasons -- LOVED Stannis -- and then read all the books before the premiere of season 3.

Sure, a lot of his sharp retorts got left on the cutting room floor, but this is TV--they have to surprise you when he shows up at the Wall and is heroic...it makes for good theatre.

Most simply won't like him because he lacks charisma and charm. But those viewers still fail to realize that in GRRM's world, those types aren't meant to rule; they're meant for beheading.

They made it a point to show Wendel and his Merman brooch at the RW. They won't expect anyone to remember him, but they'll flash back to him before the episode starts when necessary.

No way the Manderlys are cut out of the show, imo.

I look for that everytime and I can never seem to find it. They're definitely covering their asses in case they decide to include them, but I'm not totally convinced they'll be present. Since Bran and Rickon or alive, Davos might get sent directly to find them from the Wall.

For some reason I thought he sent Davos immediately to White Harbor when Stannis goes to the Wall, which is why there's no Davos-Jon interactions. Either way, it's clear he'll have a more active role there before being sent on his mission, whatever that may be in this adaptation.

I tryed to do a thread that wasnt aprobed.... Stannis early wealth might change all his later dynamics....He already has 3 times the men he does in books and now his hands full of gold. He wont be a beggar and the NW would be far more under his fist now.

If northeners still join him at some degree he will have a HUGE army at the battle of WF point.

without Davos Stannis is weak...I am not anti-Stannis but have never been much of a fan of book or show versions. The scene at the Iron Bank showed me more about Davos' strength of character and wits than Stannis, he was ready to give up and walk away...

...just saying... :smoking:

Or, he was letting Davos talk to show the loyalty he can inspire. Someone talking about how awesome Stannis is is much more convincing than Stannis talking about how awesome Stannis is.

Also, because no one has commented on this yet, I think Davos is almost certainly confirmed as going to the Wall with the rest of Team Dragonstone. It's way too late in the season to introduce the Manderly plotline, and if they keep it at all, it won't be until early in season 5. I'm really excited for the possibility of a Davos-Jon dialogue, because they're two characters we never see together. Still leaves open the possibility for the cart before the horse line too. They've kept a lot of Stannis' more important lines, even if they have changed the context here and there to make him look like a dick, so I think we might at least get some version of it in episode 10.

That would mean less Stan-Jon dialogue. :frown5: I hope they'd let Stannis shine on his own at the Wall next season, be more active & in command. :/

ep5

" You dont just walk into the IB and ask to see a rep." -Tywin ( paraphrase)

ep6

Well, Stannis does...

This could be in the Stannis facts thread :lol:

I look for that everytime and I can never seem to find it. They're definitely covering their asses in case they decide to include them, but I'm not totally convinced they'll be present. Since Bran and Rickon or alive, Davos might get sent directly to find them from the Wall.

If they don't include Manderly I might stop watching the show. The scene with him and Davos is arguably the best in ADWD. I don't even want to imagine the story without Manderly's Frey Pies.

I tryed to do a thread that wasnt aproved.... Stannis early wealth might change all his later dynamics....He already has 3 times the men he does in books and now his hands full of gold. He wont be a beggar and the NW would be far more under his fist now.

If northeners still join him at some degree he will have a HUGE army at the battle of WF point.

perhaps, a ton of them die at the Wall. Jon did say Mance had 100000 men

Or, he was letting Davos talk to show the loyalty he can inspire. Someone talking about how awesome Stannis is is much more convincing than Stannis talking about how awesome Stannis is.

not so sure lol

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storms End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?

Thanks for the link. I have to assume this is a super quick shot in the show, but it's super important nonetheless. If we start hearing Manderlys mentioned in any capacity soon, we'll know they're gonna be make it in. And I don't want to give the impression that I want them cut. I love all of their shit in aDwD. I just don't know if they'll make it in or not due to the obnoxiously large size of the cast. (Which will admittedly grow much smaller after episode 10, lol)

Thanks for the link. I have to assume this is a super quick shot in the show, but it's super important nonetheless. If we start hearing Manderlys mentioned in any capacity soon, we'll know they're gonna be make it in. And I don't want to give the impression that I want them cut. I love all of their shit in aDwD. I just don't know if they'll make it in or not due to the obnoxiously large size of the cast. (Which will admittedly grow much smaller after episode 10, lol)

Nah, I hear ya. I just thought that Wendel's inclusion -- as superfluous and easy to miss as it was -- must be a SURE indication that they would be using it for future material.

D&D never expect anyone to remember anything. So just a flashback is enough for viewers to think "Hey, this dude must've been a 'somebody'"

That would mean less Stan-Jon dialogue. :frown5: I hope they'd let Stannis shine on his own at the Wall next season, be more active & in command. :/

I hear you. I don't think we'll see much of Stannis coming into his own until he heads off to fight the Boltons though. :( We'll see what happens. I have a feeling Mel is gonna be calling the shots when they get to Castle Black, as much as the idea pisses me off.

Davos needs to be at the wall so him and Stannis get to have a bromance moment before he is sent to White Harbor. For all we know it could be the last chance those two have a scene together. The parting between the two should guarantee at least one positive scene for Stannis even if they continue to paint him as an antagonist.

Without Davos, Stannis will have to begin a new bromance... with Jon. That and drunk Cersei are the two things I'm looking forward to most of all.

Drunk Cersei will be hard to pull off on screen but they have one of the best on the job.

Drunk Cersei will be hard to pull off on screen but they have one of the best on the job.

And there's a point in Feast for Crows when there's no difference between Drunk Cersei and Normal Cersei

Archived