(BEWARE SPOILERS) "...A Thousand Lying Whores..."

True...too bad Brienne missed that memo though.

Hey, she's going to the Wall, which is best-reached by sea. By land, for some reason. I guess she didn't hear about Moat Cailin being held by the Ironborn.

The way the scene was shot and acted, you could really see Tyrion as "ugly" for the first time; he was so apoplectic with rage that his facial expressions were contorted, almost twisted. So it worked for me; unlike Book Tyrion, who was a lot more pissy and less genteel on average than TV Tyrion's been, all of TV Tyrion's rage boiled over at once, making the resulting outburst that much more intense.

This.

did littlefinger not throw that necklace into the sea?

He throws it on top of the boat with Dontos's body in it.

"i wish i was the monster you think i am"

seems to speak directly to the tyrion-is-whitewashed brigade.

Not really, since I think that line is taken right out of the book.

I liked that shae made it out that sansa convinced tyrion to kill joffrey, makes me think all the more that it is all part of a plan to allow tyrion to go to the wall. Sansa is seen as the evil femme fatale whilst tyrion is the patsy ruled by his bollocks. Off course no one told tyrion the plan and he went a little mad in court.

It seemed to me very Shakespearean. The whole scene did, and that overall consistency was why it worked for me. Tyrion went into King Richard mode and embodied the villain they thought he was, so to his kangaroo onlookers, he was living up to their expectations. Tyrion was giving them what they wanted by ramming it down their throats and finally saying what he's wanted to for years.

:agree:

...was going to reply to several but this sums the scene up perfectly from my point of view...they wanted to see a monster, in fact they always saw a monster...he showed them that they didn't know shit about what a monster really is...

...he made them realize the truth to the saying beware what you wish for, or you might certainly get it... :smoking:

For those of you who have never thrown a lightweight necklace from a ship at sea into a boat at sea, let me tell you, that's one heckuva toss.

:lmao: damn as a salty old Navy asshole, I didn't see that coming...awesome attention to detail, Glen, you couldn't be more right...

eta: for the spelling gestapo

I liked that shae made it out that sansa convinced tyrion to kill joffrey, makes me think all the more that it is all part of a plan to allow tyrion to go to the wall. Sansa is seen as the evil femme fatale whilst tyrion is the patsy ruled by his bollocks. Off course no one told tyrion the plan and he went a little mad in court.

I don't know that that really works. Tywin and Jaime struck that deal just before bell started tolling. Jaime immediately returned to the throne room; Tywin was maybe 50-60 seconds behind, and Shae appears to enter the room from a completely different adjoining chamber. And given that Tywin had gotten what he wanted, what was the purpose of wheeling out the super-humiliating witness who angers him off so much that he ruins the plan?

I don't know that that really works. Tywin and Jaime struck that deal just before bell started tolling. Jaime immediately returned to the throne room; Tywin was maybe 50-60 seconds behind, and Shae appears to enter the room from a completely different adjoining chamber. And given that Tywin had gotten what he wanted, what was the purpose of wheeling out the super-humiliating witness who angers him off so much that he ruins the plan?

But tywin would presumably have already thought this ahead. Even if jaime had not come to him he would have still been able to send tyrion of to the wall. Tywin agreed way to fast to jaime to assume that he had t a.ready got plans kn motion.

Even if jaime had not come to him he would have still been able to send tyrion of to the wall.

Why would he send Tyrion to the Wall without Jaime's deal? Or, for that matter, without Tyrion asking for it?

It seemed to me very Shakespearean. The whole scene did, and that overall consistency was why it worked for me. Tyrion went into King Richard mode and embodied the villain they thought he was, so to his kangaroo onlookers, he was living up to their expectations. Tyrion was giving them what they wanted by ramming it down their throats and finally saying what he's wanted to for years.

Yep and it also makes me think of the play that is being put on in the Mercy chapter in TWOW.

The whole scene was superb. Dinklage's acting was great in particular, but I loved Tywin's disbelief at Tyrion saying he was on trial for being a dwarf. You can see Oberyn constantly channeling everything in; trying to realise what benefits him, and the reactions from the other characters are always evident but subtle, keeping you guessing (for non-book readers) at their motivations, wishes and what they actually want to happen with this whole thing. Brilliant scene and some of the best stuff the show has done so far.

I don't necessarily think so. Shae had been feeling neglected by Tyrion for awhile now, due to his recent lack of interest in sex with her, and I think this kind of rejection was something she had started to fear. She was a common whore who suddenly found herself with a royal life. It would be natural for her to be paranoid that it was too good to be true, after a life of being made promises by men who just wanted to use her. I don't think, given Tyrion's recent ambiguous behavior towards her, it would be natural for her to come to the conclusion that he was doing it out of love. Its only natural for US to come to that conclusion because we are shown the dialogue with other people regarding his true feelings for her. But from her viewpoint, I think it's reasonable that she felt she had been genuinely rejected.

Ok, fair enough. Lets say we buy that she felt betrayed and could not see what else was going on in Tyrion's life. Then she is an idiot for that. For her to allow herself to get completely emotionally wrapped up in Tyrion given her situation makes her an idiot. To be so wrapped up that she would throw away a fortune and risk all to humiliate him in court, speaks volumes to her stupidity. Where does she think she is going with this?

It's one thing to be angry at a person and to let them know it. It is entirely another thing to let the anger destroy any chance you have at a good life. Not smart, to say the least.

Another vote for fantastic PD here...my favourite part of his rant was his withering look at Cersei & his claim that he was relieved by Joff's death & wished he HAD done it. Just to watch her squirm miserably in her chair & give him the coldest look her demeanor would allow, made the scene worthwhile to me. That bitch deserves far worse than what she's gotten so far (& she still hasn't sunk low enough in the books for me, yet, either). I love to hate Cersei!

Archived