Nitpick With Impunity: Goat Edition

I just think people are saying "omg dogs lol" when, as badly made as it was, the scene clearly showed [sic] more than that.

Hmm.. a weird thing to say. Judging by the supported and detailed logic behind iknownothingjonsnow's post, among others - to which your rather undetailed reply was to say "I don't think it's better lol" - I'd say it's more than just "omg dogs lol," no?

Give people some credit for thinking about these things, please. And yes, the scene did show more, when they were floating away on the boat and in a single resigned and disgusted sentence, but it's the contradiction of all the things in the aforementioned post and that moment that is worth nitpicking, hence the nitpicking in this thread, which incidentally is about nitpicking.

And there is a subtle difference between criticism and whinging (whining, for the Yanks). It's an e-cliché to conflate the two. Mostly I see people calling scenes or details into doubt and giving reasons for their conclusions. I suppose I could attach a crying child's voice to it all and then it would be whinging, but I don't.

In any case, saying "people are whinging" is just carpet bombing everybody but nobody anyway, it's a catch-all insult, and it is just about completely useless. You made the same carpet bomb "people are whinging" post in last week's nitpick thread. We'll probably see it next week too, but maybe if you just stop clicking on the 'nitpick with impunity' threads, you can spare yourself the agony of so much rampant whingery, everywhere, from everyone but no one in particular, all the time.

There is a lot of comments on the subject that suggest that the Iron Born ran because Ramsey "released the hounds" wouldn't you agree?

The scene isn't great, and it's weird when Ramsey runs in to the kennel covered in scratches for some unknown reason, but there is clearly more reason for Yara fleeing than Ramsey setting his dogs on them. Reek fights to stay, he is no longer Theon Greyjoy. It is a lost cause and Yara decides to flee rather than have more of her men killed.

You are right though, what did I expect in the nitpicking thread?! I've seen plenty of fair criticism of the show, I don't think it's fair to criticise this scene for anything other than being weird and out of place, poorly edited and pretty anti climactic considering the end of season 3 scene at Pyke.

There is a lot of comments on the subject that suggest that the Iron Born ran because Ramsey "released the hounds" wouldn't you agree?

The scene isn't great, and it's weird when Ramsey runs in to the kennel covered in scratches for some unknown reason, but there is clearly more reason for Yara fleeing than Ramsey setting his dogs on them. Reek fights to stay, he is no longer Theon Greyjoy. It is a lost cause and Yara decides to flee rather than have more of her men killed.

You are right though, what did I expect in the nitpicking thread?! I've seen plenty of fair criticism of the show, I don't think it's fair to criticise this scene for anything other than being weird and out of place, poorly edited and pretty anti climactic considering the end of season 3 scene at Pyke.

Considering that's exactly what the scene is being nitpicked for, yes I would wonder what you expected.

Ya, I'd say it was shoddily handled and leave it at that, but that's just me. One would think she would be incensed enough to tear Ramsay apart for what he did. She was pissed royal that Theon's sex toy was cut off, and there's no reason I can think of that having his mind ripped away too shouldn't make her absolutely googolplex furious enough to go full Bruce Lee at that point.

Although I'm inclined to agree with you that she just said to herself, "Oh to hell with it. Theon's roached and this freak bloodlust maniac is threatening us with dogs; let's just go," for all we know she could have been rationalizing with the "my brother is dead" bit, and it was indeed just the dogs that made her hightail it out of there. As has been pointed out though, her earlier speech is rendered just a bunch of meaningless bollocks in light of that particular interpretation. Poor handling of a deus ex machina idea by the writers, IMO. I don't really feel comfortable with saying "clearly" on any of this though - hence the nitpicks.

Very nitpicky, but does it annoy anyone else that they (Tywin and the small council) are referring to Dany as a child, when she clearly isn't? If anything, Westerosi grow up quicker, so their age limit for a child would be lower, not higher. If that's a child, we're all peados... It feels like they've just ripped dialogue from the books without adjusting for the fact that they've aged the characters up.

Very nitpicky, but does it annoy anyone else that they (Tywin and the small council) are referring to Dany as a child, when she clearly isn't? If anything, Westerosi grow up quicker, so their age limit for a child would be lower, not higher. If that's a child, we're all peados... It feels like they've just ripped dialogue from the books without adjusting for the fact that they've aged the characters up.

Yep, the same thing happened in 2x1 when Jaime mocked Robb by calling him 'boy.'

In the show isn't Daenerys supposed to be about 16/17? From an old man like Tywin that might seem more youthful than it actually is, same with 40 year old Jaime calling 18 year old Robb 'boy'.

I think it's unbelievable how fast news travels in the show.

Littlefinger invented social media and the mobile phone. He's a clever chap that Baelish.

They do that in the books, too. I'm glad we saw it on the show. Every time someone says child, it doesn't mean literally child, it means someone younger, it can be a put down, it can be a term of endearment, depends on how it's used. Also, "pedo" applies to pre-puberty, clearly Dany does not fit that description (girls typically enter puberty 10-11). And Westeros, she's a woman when she flowers, which dated to before the books began.

would this be the first time the viewers were confused? Are folks really confused? Because the nitpickers seem pretty well grounded in their understanding of the scene and general disagreement with what I guess folks would say is a conflict between words and actions (Yara's) or actions and reactions (going all the way to rescue him and then leaving abruptly). Those things could be cleared up though, as we have no idea what will happen when Yara gets to where she's going....she could give another long speech about why she left and clear up all confusion.

if you're a book reader,you've seen Yara/Asha flee before right? Maybe not onscreen, but I recall a pov where she and her ironborn hightail it out of some lord's castle they've overtaken,when they're attacked. She's loyal to her men and they're loyal to her. What was it she said, something to the effect that her men would wait on deck for a year for her if she commanded it? That type of loyalty is born from sound leadership. Her men know that if she asks them to lay down their lives it is not on a whim or for something foolish. When they paddle off and she's asked about Theon, she says "My brother is dead similar to Balon's response when Yara urged him to do something about Ramsay's letter at the end of S3. I get that it's a nitpick thread and the purpose is for us to post "grievances"; I just didn't come away as upset with the scene as most. Given that it's completely non-book canon material, I was interested in how the scene would play out.

Question : when Yara says "Give me my brother....." (right before the "release the hounds") if Theon grabs Ramsay and cries..."please don't let them take me m'lord", would that validate a hasty exit with dogs at their heels?He's clearly not trying to go and at the moment before the dogs are loosed Theon is actually with Ramsay and his dreadfort men. I also think folks are undervaluing a pack of rabid hounds in a close quarters fight ....an even strength fight (even armored) would turn drastically if one side had a pack of hounds attacking with them.

I can't stress enough how bad the Yara scene was. Almost everything about it. Why show Ramsay boning during Yara's speech? Ruins any impact from the speech and makes me roll my eyes (thanks, HBO). What's with the weird transition from Ramsay boning to Ramsay covered in blood? Something was obviously cut out. What happened to Myranda? Why didn't they explain that Roose was gone from the castle? Why does Ramsay fight shirtless? Why wasn't he killed by an ironborn, or Yara at the end? Why would he let Yara get away? Why would she not mercy kill Theon? Why didn't they kill the dogs? What was the whole point of this? It defames the ironborn and Yara and makes them look even more stupid. The type of people to sail around the world and turn back to do it all over again at the first inconvenience. It's all very non-sensical and probably the worst scene of the season thus far.

If they really needed to give Yara something to do for the season, why not do the Kingsmoot?

That said, most of the other nitpicks in this thread are embarrassing.

I can't stress enough how bad the Yara scene was. Almost everything about it. Why show Ramsay boning during Yara's speech? Ruins any impact from the speech and makes me roll my eyes (thanks, HBO). What's with the weird transition from Ramsay boning to Ramsay covered in blood? Something was obviously cut out. What happened to Myranda? Why didn't they explain that Roose was gone from the castle? Why does Ramsay fight shirtless? Why wasn't he killed by an ironborn, or Yara at the end? Why would he let Yara get away? Why would she not mercy kill Theon? Why didn't they kill the dogs? What was the whole point of this? It defames the ironborn and Yara and makes them look even more stupid. The type of people to sail around the world and turn back to do it all over again at the first inconvenience. It's all very non-sensical and probably the worst scene of the season thus far.

If they really needed to give Yara something to do for the season, why not do the Kingsmoot?

That said, most of the other nitpicks in this thread are embarrassing.

You nailed it.

Whoever thought we needed Ramsay fanservice is clearly high. And him fighting and winning shirtless...Yeah, totally realistic.

Asha was just anti-climatic and filler.

I do hope we do get eventually the child burning storyline. I'm guessing they'll want that for bigger impact on the season finale or episode 8.

KL was good, but I don't get why the necklace seemed in perfect shape- last we saw it, Littlefinger smashed it to pieces.

He only smashed a piece of it.

They do that in the books, too. I'm glad we saw it on the show. Every time someone says child, it doesn't mean literally child, it means someone younger, it can be a put down, it can be a term of endearment, depends on how it's used. Also, "pedo" applies to pre-puberty, clearly Dany does not fit that description (girls typically enter puberty 10-11). And Westeros, she's a woman when she flowers, which dated to before the books began.

Um, girls do not typically enter puberty at 10-11. It's unusual that young-not unheard of, simply unusual. If I were to nitpick something on the boards, it would certainly be the pseudoscience and psychobabble.

Archived