Nitpick With Impunity: Goat Edition

I was thinking the same thing about the dragons. What do we call Drogon. Big Nameless Dragon. Who is tied directly to Dany's identity. BIG part of her later story. Named for Khal Drogo. A reminder that he once existed. And meant something to Dany. Mustn't have that, out of sight, out of mind, this is Game of Thrones. Nobody remembers anyone.

I think its pretty clear a kid will be killed by Drogon in the future. They don't have much story to spread for Dany over the next couple seasons. Surprised to see people saying this episode whitewashed her tbh. Hizdahr made her look like shit

:agree: the season finale is called "the Children". I'll bet we'll be seeing burned bones in that episode. I'm curious though whether or not they'll show the kill. In the books I have never been convinced of Drogon's guilt (it was an accident if he did it), the timing for the dragons imprisonment was just to convenient.

36 episodes in...
What in the seven hells have the dragons not been named yet?!

:bowdown:

Did anyone else see a logical flaw in Davos speech to the Iron Bank that there would not be peace in the seven kingdoms under Tommen as long as Stannis lived?

Iron bank "OK well since we want peace in order to get our money back from the Iron Throne, we will just kill Stannis right now"

Would be a much smarter response than "Oh ok then, here have all of our gold, good luck!"

I always assumed the leverage that tipped the Iron Bank towards Stannis was the fact that the Lannisters had stopped paying them, a fact eluded to in the show last week when Tywin announced the gold mines had yielded no Ore in years. Made perfect sense in the books as by the time the IB was involved, Tywin was dead and Cersei had given orders to stop paying their debts.

Not only all of this but it was also a very boring scene.

Dreadfort. The Ironborn are afraid of dogs? What? Ramsay let's Asha go, what? The dogs didn't end up chasing anyone, what?

And I guess since Ramsay had a bunch of tiny little cuts on his chest, unless his girlfriend did that, IB aren't very good with swords either. LOL.

And lets all give ourselves a pat on the back, those of us that correctly predicted we'd get a pointless Essos brothel scene at some point.

The Asha/Dreadfort scene served nothing but to show us that Ramsey loves to brawl with no shirt on.

I don't like that Tycho speaks with a perfect English accent, I mean the guy is Braavosi! Same goes for friggin Hizdar zo Loraq.

I was relieved that they chose not to do the whole Drogon child eating thing now. I'll admit that my heart did stop as soon as I saw that scene come on.

The Dreadfort storyline was a total mess. Why was Asha's speech played over Ramsay having sex? It looked like the show was parodying itself, tbh. And the fight was just ridiculous... Ramsay was shirtless, and the Ironborn carry throwing axes... Why is he still alive?

Sure we are flabbergasted, i mean it is not like her fans are being wilfully blind right? :rolleyes:

Are you being serious? The bones of Hazzea (or a replacement character) will still be brought before Daenerys. But it needs appropriate set-up. Anyone who thinks logically about narrative progression will surely see that.

If anything, they made Dany look WORSE than in the books with this episode. In the books no one pleads innocence for any of the Great Masters who were killed... The problems with Dany's punishment is that 1) it went too far or not far enough (i.e. she should have punished ALL the Great Masters, or pardoned all of them), 2) it was "an eye for an eye" - it would have been more appropriate to use a "fairer" method if she decided to kill the same number, and 3) that she let the masters turn themselves over. In the books the fact that the punishment was collective was never really presented as the biggest issue; in fact, in the narrative it was presented as the alternative to killing all of the Great Masters:

In the plaza before the Great Pyramid, the Meereenese huddled forlorn. The Great Masters had looked anything but great in the morning light. Stripped of their jewels and their fringed tokars, they were contemptible; a herd of old men with shriveled balls and spotted skin and young men with ridiculous hair. Their women were either soft and fleshy or as dry as old sticks, their face paint streaked by tears. "I want your leaders," Dany told them. "Give them up, and the rest of you shall be spared."

"How many?" one old woman had asked, sobbing. "How many must you have to spare us?"

"One hundred and sixty-three," she answered.

She then decides to have them taken down and follows Missandei's advice to return their bones to their wives and families. Clearly crucifying 163 Great Masters was a terrible decision, but it's important IMO that Dany comes to realise this on her own.

The fact that Hizdahr of all people lectured Dany just irks me. Why even bother to name him Hizdahr if he is so far removed from the book counterpart? The show's Xaro Xhoan Daxos was more in-line with book Hizdahr.

The fact that Hizdahr of all people lectured Dany just irks me. Why even bother to name him Hizdahr if he is so far removed from the book counterpart? The show's Xaro Xhoan Daxos was more in-line with book Hizdahr.

Totally irks me, too. There are quite a few characters they should name something else.

I like that Jamie wasn't just standing around..

The backdoor deal with Poppa threw a nice wrench in the bag..

Who really thought Tyrion would join TNW though?? I mean... Come on..

Dinklage nailed that scene though.

I truly dislike the acting of Shae.. (as I always have).. She's just awful, can't wait to see that actress (don't even care enough to ever learn her actual name) get the CHOKE.

I'm going to miss Charles Dance though... BAD

Are you being serious? The bones of Hazzea (or a replacement character) will still be brought before Daenerys. But it needs appropriate set-up. Anyone who thinks logically about narrative progression will surely see that.

If anything, they made Dany look WORSE than in the books with this episode. In the books no one pleads innocence for any of the Great Masters who were killed... The problems with Dany's punishment is that 1) it went too far or not far enough (i.e. she should have punished ALL the Great Masters, or pardoned all of them), 2) it was "an eye for an eye" - it would have been more appropriate to use a "fairer" method if she decided to kill the same number, and 3) that she let the masters turn themselves over. In the books the fact that the punishment was collective was never really presented as the biggest issue; in fact, in the narrative it was presented as the alternative to killing all of the Great Masters:

I thought even her biggest haters here would stop whining for a week that Dany has been whitewashed on the show. Alas...

Has anyone else felt that Tyrion's monologue was very overacted? I did not feel engrossed in his anger. It was very awkward to me. I don't think book Tyrion was oozing froth when he said that. But, show Tyrion has never done anything slightly "meany-headed" before so I guess he is new to it.

Yup genuinely flabbergasted people are saying this ep whitewashed Dany.

Kinda ridiculous honestly. Between the invented Xaro/Doreah scene, her going against Barristan's advice wrt the crucifixions, and now the Hizdahr scene, give it a rest already.

Archived