Nitpick With Impunity: Goat Edition

He has been horribly whitewashed on the show. He's really the only character I think has been. Tyrion did a lot of fucked up things in the books that the show hasn't included.

What are those "fucked up things"? Sorry, it's been a while since I've read the books, and sometimes I confuse the show with the books.

You can't surround somebody with whores (VERY FIRST EPISODE!!!) and call it white-washing.

Why not? I don't see anything wrong with having sex with prostitutes. Especially compared to ordering murders, breaking fingers gleefully, and all other stuff like that was removed.

So can someone tell me or at least show me these threads where it's discussed how Tyrion is whitewashed? I know he isn't threatening to rape Tommen or breaking the fingers of a bard who made fun of him, but I didn't feel like these things were a big deal.

I posted this a few pages back, but here is it again - http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/67018-book-spoilers-the-whitewashing-of-tyrion/

What are those "fucked up things"? Sorry, it's been a while since I've read the books, and sometimes I confuse the show with the books.

I'm not really sure what they're referring to regarding book Tyrion, either. I always thought he was a "good" character, myself. He had a singer killed. The singer was a friend of Shae and tried to blackmail Tyrion regarding their relationship. So Tyrion had Bronn kill him. Other than that, I can't think of any particular harm he's ever inflicted on anyone.

I think the major arguments have been that the portrayal of his relationship with Shae and his relationship with Sansa make him more sympathetic, especially given how his wedding night was portrayed in the books (granted, Sophie Turner was under 18 during S3 filming, so they may have wanted to have it be the same but simply couldn't).

I think he's being set up for a delightful fall from grace in E10, so I'm not as bothered, but David Selig's post is worth a read

I don't really see what "whitewashing" of Dany you all saw last night. She was presented like a dismissive Queen and really regretful of the situation she got herself into it, besides the speech of Hizdhar, telling her that she acted like a freaking butcher. While Stannis is doing anything he can to be King, she has this face of "I wish I was everywhere but here".

And, they showed the Dragons are out of control. It was very close for Drogo to kill that kid and I'm sure he will next episode, or eventually.

I agree with this. The same as I didn't see the crucifixion scene as a "fist-pump moment". They are showing Dany's darker side.

I didn't like the Ironborn raid, either. The Ramsay sex scene was pointless. Alfie's acting was good though.

I think he's being set up for a delightful fall from grace in E10, so I'm not as bothered, but David Selig's post is worth a read

Tywin seems also to be more popular in the show than in the books (mainly because of Charles Dance), so I wonder what effect Tyrion offing him on the crapper will have on the show-only audience.

Dreadfort was a mess. Shirtless Ramsay fighting armored and shielded ironborns, Yara staring at him doing nothing when he shows the key, ironborns teleporting out of the Dreadfort... embarrassing. We want realism, not another dumb LOTR copy.

People need to come to grips with the fact that show Tyrion will not be the monster they interpret him to be in the books. Fine by me.

That speech was awesome. I felt like he sort of figured he would have some sort of a fighting chance before the trial started, and by the end realized what a farce it was.

I never felt that Tyrion was a complete monster in the books; what's especially tragic and moving about book-Tyrion is that in temperament and mind, he is possibly the best of Tywin's children and the most promising Lannister at the beginning of the story, and then the viciousness and uber-arrogance lurking in Tywin's family history rise in him too and we see more and more of Tywin in him, when perhaps Tyrion could have been a good and great man if he had had Ned Stark for a father.

What might have jarred some book-savvy watchers of the show was the seeming suddenness of TV-Tyrion's descent into darkness during the trial last night. TV-Tyrion has been so heavily packaged as Saint Tyrion of the Thousand Merry Quips that his transformation into a wild, roaring anti-Lannister Lion could seem like it comes out of nowhere. But when you recall that Tyrion has been scorned and discounted his entire life for something he could not help, and now is not only on trial for his life for crimes he has not committed and is suddenly savaged and mocked by a woman he loved and thought was safely sent far away from harm, as well as the horror of his own father seeming determined to condemn him to death, after Tyrion had tried, in his own way, to do the right, and even honorable thing (defend King's Landing, not kill or hurt ghastly Joffrey, be kind to the younger children of the sister who hated him, be loyal to a father who has despised him his entire life, etc.), the breaking of TV-Tyrion's self-control seems long overdue and credible rather than sudden/unbelievable....at least to me.

Even Sibel Kikelli managed some acting chops; her angry stare at Tyrion when she repeated the line about being just a whore said it all; whether or not she had been at all coerced, she was turning on Tyrion with intimate, spicy details because she wanted payback, and throwing Sansa to the lions as well.

It didn't hurt that Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance are first-caliber actors, either. I felt that this was the first appearance of future kinslayer Tyrion and ADWD Tyrion; and noticed that even Tywin seemed shocked (as well as furious) at Tyrion's outburst. Watch out, Old Lion, the spitting cub has become a very angry lion himself.

Tywin seems also to be more popular in the show than in the books (mainly because of Charles Dance), so I wonder what effect Tyrion offing him on the crapper will have on the show-only audience.

He's "popular" in that he's a ruthless badass...but still, all the audience has seen him do is scheme and verbally abuse his own children and excuse all of his machinations in the name of family. It will be a huge loss for the show though, because Dance is so good and such an nice anchor.

Links please?

I thought it was cool that so many objected, even those who are not Sansa fans. Some things are just important. Someone kept saying she knelt in the books, but she never did kneel for his cloak, he had to stand on the back of a fool to force her to accept his. And this meant a lot to Sansa:

It was not supposed to be this way. She had dreamed of her wedding a thousand times, and always she had pictured how her betrothed would stand behind her tall and strong, sweep the cloak of his protection over her shoulders, and tenderly kiss her cheek as he leaned forward to fasten the clasp.

Here are the nitpick threads from 3x08 and 3x10:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/87947-book-spoilers-nitpick-without-repercussion/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/89836-book-spoilers-nitpick-without-repercussion/

He's "popular" in that he's a ruthless badass...but still, all the audience has seen him do is scheme and verbally abuse his own children and excuse all of his machinations in the name of family. It will be a huge loss for the show though, because Dance is so good and such an nice anchor.

Yeah agreed, but he's still popular and many people don't even that distinction. It's more about a popular character killing another popular character, likability (as in being sympathetic) isn't really a factor.

Yeah agreed, but he's still popular and many people don't even that distinction. It's more about a popular character killing another popular character, likability (as in being sympathetic) isn't really a factor.

Yeah, next year is the year the show will falter if it does...because they've gotten rid of SO many really vibrant well liked characters--Robb and Cat, Tywin, soon to be Oberyn, and at least to me, the new set of characters that replace them are not nearly as compelling. Jon Connington? Yeah whatever. Crazy Greyjoys. Whatever. The Martells, don't even get me started. And a lot of the fan favorite pairings will also be gone.. no more Arya and the Hound, no more Jamie and Brienne, or Jamie and Tyrion, or Tyrion and Cersei.

Which kind of to me means they better ramp up some Stannis love soon. LOL.

How has no one called Oberyn the Red Viper yet?! Dude has got the most badass nickname in the show and they haven't said it once!

Probably because they named one of the episodes The Mountain and the Viper and don't want to completely spoil it, though it seems that a lot of viewers already have figured it out or been told.

Yeah, next year is the year the show will falter if it does...because they've gotten rid of SO many really vibrant well liked characters--Robb and Cat, Tywin, soon to be Oberyn, and at least to me, the new set of characters that replace them are not nearly as compelling. Jon Connington? Yeah whatever. Crazy Greyjoys. Whatever. The Martells, don't even get me started. And a lot of the fan favorite pairings will also be gone.. no more Arya and the Hound, no more Jamie and Brienne, or Jamie and Tyrion, or Tyrion and Cersei.

Which kind of to me means they better ramp up some Stannis love soon. LOL.

Haha yeah. I already expressed these concerns, as in the books we get some build up and/or are familiar with all those families or characters one way or another. But in the show they basically switch a huge chunk of the cast with new characters. Works ok in the books but on TV that's another matter. King's Landing soon becomes void of many major characters (that small council), focus switches to Essos and even established families like the Lannisters or Starks are disjointed or went through a lot of character development. The Northerners will join Stannis but even they haven't been fleshed out in the show as they have in the books.

Archived