[BOOK SPOILERS] Hizdahr

Also I hope Dany looks like an idiot when she spurns the Quentyn and Hizdahr because they're not as pretty as Daario.

She never spurned Quentyn for that reason, she spurned him cause she already had a marriage pact with Hizdahr, how is that looking like an idiot?

She never spurned Quentyn for that reason, she spurned him cause she already had a marriage pact with Hizdahr, how is that looking like an idiot?

I never understand this criticism. Dany is acting like an adult and honoring her promises and commitments and because she's not heading to Westeros some cry bloody foul.

Hizdahr isn't remotely as he's being depicted above.

He's a pretty nuanced character: a wealthy patrician who, rather than swing to extremes (Shavepate, the Harpy's Sons [no, I don't believe he is the Harpy]) tries to work the middle course of compromise, the course that's actually the most reasonable under the circumstances if you don't want the streets awash with blood. He's trying to bridge the gap between traditional Meereenese slaver society and the regime Daenerys attempts to institute. That's not remotely "paper thin" or a "mustache twirling villain." The fact that he's a pragmatist, calm and in control of himself rather than full of fire and temperament makes him more interesting, not less, because Daenerys has had plenty of the latter in her life, people who despise her or adore her but rarely stand in between the extremes.

Sure, if you think he's the Harpy, I guess you put it all as an act. But then, I don't think the Harpy is evil, per se. They are insurgents attempting to preserve the traditional culture after a new regime has terribly destabilized them politically and economically. There's a pretty thin line between what one considers a terrorist and what one considers a freedom fighter, and usually it all depends on whose side you're on.

Show Hizdahr was a very pleasant Surprise. The Acting was supreme and while Book Hizdahr has never stricken me as a particularly intering Character, Show Hizdahr has impressed me very much. I look forward to see him act alongside those who worship Daenerys and her Actions.

Hizdahr isn't remotely as he's being depicted above.

He's a pretty nuanced character: a wealthy patrician who, rather than swing to extremes (Shavepate, the Harpy's Sons [no, I don't believe he is the Harpy]) tries to work the middle course of compromise, the course that's actually the most reasonable under the circumstances if you don't want the streets awash with blood. He's trying to bridge the gap between traditional Meereenese slaver society and the regime Daenerys attempts to institute. That's not remotely "paper thin" or a "mustache twirling villain." The fact that he's a pragmatist, calm and in control of himself rather than full of fire and temperament makes him more interesting, not less, because Daenerys has had plenty of the latter in her life, people who despise her or adore her but rarely stand in between the extremes.

Sure, if you think he's the Harpy, I guess you put it all as an act. But then, I don't think the Harpy is evil, per se. They are insurgents attempting to preserve the traditional culture after a new regime has terribly destabilized them politically and economically. There's a pretty thin line between what one considers a terrorist and what one considers a freedom fighter, and usually it all depends on whose side you're on.

:bowdown: Thank you!!! If I never see the part in bold again on these forums it would be too soon.

I think the Hizdahr/Dany thing is going to be a lot more interesting than it is in the books. He's stronger and more motivated, she's getting it wrong in a lot of fundamental ways. I look at her actions and see little reflections of mistakes the US has made in governing conquered territories. She's too certain that her way is the only right way.

Hizdahr was good, he made a good first impression as a pretty reasonable character with a sad backstory. I suppose the other nobles might put him forward as their negotiator and he gives a human face to the cartoonish slavers culture in Mereen.

Also I hope Dany looks like an idiot when she spurns the Quentyn and Hizdahr because they're not as pretty as Daario.

Um, what?!

Did you read some AU version of the books, or are you just one of those people who seem to have confused what actually happened in the books with some fanfic version of it they've come up with?

1) As QueenAlysanne already pointed out, Dany didn't refuse Quentyn because he wasn't pretty, she refused him because she was already marrying Hizdahr and it was too late to back up on it. Plus, Quentyn did not bring an army with him, so there was really no incentive to marry him. Although I guess she should have married him just to satisfy angry nerds who want to see a beautiful, powerful woman return an unattractive, shy man's love... or, wait, Quentyn wasn't in love with her and, for all we know, wasn't even particularly attracted to her. So, I guess Dany should have just broken her promise to Hizdahr and gone and married Quentyn and caused a major upheaval, chaos and conflict in Meereen (putting Quentyn's life in grave danger, BTW) just to please angry nerds who want to see a beautiful, powerful woman choose an unattractive, shy man even though she has no reason to do it at all?

2) Dany never "spurned" Hizdahr for Daario... sadly, she did the exact opposite. She sent Daario away as a hostage so she could marry Hizdahr for political reasons, to get peace. Or do you mean that she "spurned" his love?... Oh wait: Hizdahr definitely didn't love her and felt no passion for her, and she knew it, and he knew that she knew it. And that's exactly why she was so miserable in that marriage. Hizdahr is not supposed to be ugly, Dany thought he would be handsome if not for his hairstyle the first time she saw him, but the utter lack of love, passion or sexual chemistry is what marked this marriage as an utterly loveless one.

But I suppose you're still hoping that Dany "looks like an idiot" when... she has sex at one point with a guy she is sexually attracted to?

Err...

His father spoke out against crucifying the the children because he wanted 163 kids for the Fighting Pits. Something about a new folly called "The Hunger Games".

Sounds like a rip off of Old Valyria's Battle Royale tournaments.

Show Hizdahr was a very pleasant Surprise. The Acting was supreme and while Book Hizdahr has never stricken me as a particularly intering Character, Show Hizdahr has impressed me very much. I look forward to see him act alongside those who worship Daenerys and her Actions.

I think the Hizdahr/Dany thing is going to be a lot more interesting than it is in the books.

:agree: with both he seems to be presenting the emotional side...after the arrogant people Dany's been having to deal with in Qarth, Astapor and Yunkai, her "young foolish" heart will find it more acceptable to marry some one like how Hizdahr is portraying..

I disagree. He is absolutely 2 dimensional.

Just in the normal edition. Not in this one: (ok I tried to link the pop up book here but it didn't work) :lol:

I think that a lot of the people on Dany's side of the story just might come of less ambigous than the actually are sometimes in contrast to all the ones in Westeros, just because Dany is the only POV over there (up to a certain point) and we never get the "other part of the story" as we do in case of Lannister vs. Stark or Stannis vs. Iron Throne therefore seeing people on screen from a more neutral point of view almost naturally makes them more relatable or interesting just because you're not as biased from the start by the pov of the person meeting them.

His father spoke out against crucifying the the children because he wanted 163 kids for the Fighting Pits. Something about a new folly called "The Hunger Games".

ha! :rofl:

I'm not sure whether I believe Hizzy about his father's innocence. But that's irrelevant: the point is that it confirms what I said two weeks ago about Dany picking 163 masters at random to crucify without any pretense of an evidentiary finding (much less even a sham trial). It's hilarious that everybody thinks oh poor Tyrion when he at least gets the pantomime of witnesses and the right to a trial by combat. Compare that to Dany's tyrannical summary murders...

I think the problem is that for the audience, slavery is such an intrinsic wrong that it justifies any action to destroy it. But that's crazy. Murder? Economic devastation? She's destroying the city she's trying to rule.

Dany needs to learn to be able to institute change without resorting to brute force and tyranny. She's right to free the slaves. She's right (in the books) to insist they get paid for their labor. She's not right to murder.

Also fwiw I agree with Ran about Hizzy. He's far from a bland villain. He's not competent enough for it. Admittedly I always thought he's the Harpy and that makes him a good actor. But if he's not, he's just this old-fashioned Meereenese noble. He's proud and honorable in the sense that a Meereenese might be: conscious of his dignity and his people's way of life. He wants to keep his city stable and while he probably disagrees with Dany, he's willing to work with her.

He's just this ineffectual guy. It's kinda hilarious.

Archived