[BOOK SPOILERS] Hizdahr

Yeah they consummated but Dany was pretty bored.

I like this Hizdahr more because I actually noticed him. He was just there for me in the books. I didn't dislike him but never really gave him much thought (unlike the Green Grace). This guy had some nice polished intensity. Clearly trained in courtier ways, but if a lot of it is an act, he knew how to inject believable emotion. Speaking of the character, not the actor. The actor was great--really, really liked his voice. Pretty cute too. Damn he has nice skin. I loved Dany's "well this is awkward" face.

I agree that this Hizdahr seems much more interesting and a very good actor...his pleas for burying his father made him seem very genuine...in whole i felt D&D chose the right guy to play him, similar to Oberyn, very very good cast choice

I found him way too nice and calm for someone who's facing the murderer of their innocent father and Dany looked pretty dumb for immediatly believing everything he said. I always had the impression that all the Meereenese were playing Dany, the thing with Hazzea too, it was likely a set up to get her to lock up her dragons. I got the same vibe from Hizdahr on the show.

I found him way too nice and calm for someone who's facing the murderer of their innocent father and Dany looked pretty dumb for immediatly believing everything he said. I always had the impression that all the Meereenese were playing Dany, the thing with Hazzea too, it was likely a set up to get her to lock up her dragons. I got the same vibe from Hizdahr on the show.

I had the impression that TV-Hizzy was a smart and experienced enough power-player to control himself when facing his father's murderer who has an army and three fire-breathing dragons at her disposal. He's not Brandon Stark to stomp up to Dany's perimeter and yell "Come out and die!". I thought he was exhibiting a lot of self-control; that he definitely was aggrieved by Dany's killing of his father, but knew he was dealing with a young, full-of-herself and powerful new ruler. He seemed to alter between showing deep feeling for his father's death and wanting to bury the man and needing to placate the h*ll out of the capricious new Queen of Mereen.

Red herring? Does Gregor's barbarity transform Dany's mass executions and tortures into acceptable acts?

people dont seem to have a problem with Dany's mass execution...probably the reason D&D allowed that scene to be rushed...all unsullied audience are just "yaaaay khaleesi!"

selective amnesia on her burning, killing, crucifying people

Book Hizdahr was kinda boring and stupid, whereas this one is clever. He immediately appeals to her pride as a beautiful woman to butter her up, but changes to talking about his father's accomplishments and then plays on her sympathies to get a proper funeral. I could more so see this guy as someone Dany would tolerate at her side than Book Hizdahr. Just the right kind of person to manipulate her into marriage while planning to poison her. She is so out of her league. The look she gets from Selmy after the goat herd's compensation is priceless and then she gets all pissy automatically with the next supplicant only to have to eat it when he just asks to bury his father. The same bad choices lie ahead for her as in the books.

The unsullied I've talked to have been split on the whole crucifying the masters thing, just as the book readership has been.

It'll be interesting to see how they react to the fallout from this episode.

Anyway. I'm fully on board with Hizdar. I may even possibly already ship him and Dany, not for the romance but for the obvious conflict that will be there when they are married.

In other news, the Hizdar scene really struck a note with the non-book reader community. People are finally starting to be turned off by the actions of their once beloved "Khaleesi."

I've really enjoyed reading the reviews by non book readers.

"Dany has taken her throne and learns that she might have been wise to take Selmy’s advice in terms of “mercy”, at least for some of the residents of Meereen. Dany learns that the non-slave residents were not all cruel slave owners and crucifiers of children. The point here to me was that in the future Dany might be wise to get all facts before passing judgment and implicating punishment, which somewhat correlates to what we would see later with Tyrion. She makes the right decision for Hizdahr, but her arrogance at times during the conversation was a huge turn-off.

A little more truth: I find myself repeatedly struggling to stay involved with Dany’s story. I think the conflict lies with the idea that we the viewers have been led to believe that we should like her character. But the more I see of her, the more I find myself growing to dislike her, and maybe that is the intent. After all, she does come from a line of family that included the Mad King and her own brother, Viserys. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, or so they say."

I count this as a victory for team Stannis. Its just a few pebbles rolling down the hill for now, but eventually it will turn to a landslide and the initially reluctant supporters will rally to his cause.

Book Hizdahr was kinda boring and stupid, whereas this one is clever. He immediately appeals to her pride as a beautiful woman to butter her up, but changes to talking about his father's accomplishments and then plays on her sympathies to get a proper funeral. I could more so see this guy as someone Dany would tolerate at her side than Book Hizdahr. Just the right kind of person to manipulate her into marriage while planning to poison her. She is so out of her league. The look she gets from Selmy after the goat herd's compensation is priceless and then she gets all pissy automatically with the next supplicant only to have to eat it when he just asks to bury his father. The same bad choices lie ahead for her as in the books.

my feelings exactly!

Well, it's easy to check if his father was indeed crucified. Getting to know if he really spoke against the crucifixions is harder.

The whole thing with the sympathetic dad angle was absurd. GRRM doesn't do that in the books, and there's absolutely no reason to do it in the tv series either.

Suppose the dad had been against crucifying a disembowelled-while-alive child at every mile to Mereen, then when he was voted down he should have left and sided with Dany. If he doesn't do something of that nature and GTFO of such a horrific culture - especially when, as a rich person he has the resources to do so - then as one of the Masters, he shares in their collective guilt as the rulers who ordered the thing done.

I have no sympathy with any of them whatsoever. In that culture, in that context, I would do exactly as Dany did - do unto them what they did to the children, and worse.

The sole factor mitigating against what Dany did is the pragmatic point that Barristan Selmy pointed out. It might have been cannier to spare them, because of unforeseen consequences. But it would not have been just.

people dont seem to have a problem with Dany's mass execution...probably the reason D&D allowed that scene to be rushed...all unsullied audience are just "yaaaay khaleesi!"

selective amnesia on her burning, killing, crucifying people

Resevoir Dogs shows my opinion.

"Real people?"

"Just cops."

Replace cops with slavers.

Hizdahr is cute. Looking forward to him and Dany getting it on :drool:

See - I find this a real problem. Hizdahr in the books was NOT cute. He was balding with a big hooked nose if I remember correctly. He was also obnoxiously droll and entitled as nobles in Meereen who owned slaves were. Now they've gone and cast yet another handsome guy in Dany's circle of men - blargh. It's bad enough Jorah Mormont has a voice that could melt the panties off most women and is far more likable and good looking than Jorah from the books was. Let's not even get started on the two different versions of Daario who neither one has strange dyed hair, beard or gold tooth to complete the ridiculous look.

It's like they are surrounding Dany with a posse of sexy adoring men and then expecting us to believe she stays aloof and uninterested. :ack:

I thought Book!Hizdahr was a youngish man with radical hair-wings and a beard. So pretty sure yer wrong about that one...

The unsullied I've talked to have been split on the whole crucifying the masters thing, just as the book readership has been.

Yes they are. People are kinda like "dude what." And having a hard time buying that Dany has the moral high ground. Hizdahr's sob story only adds to this.

I like Hizdahr already and i like his sob story. Its pretty obvious hes bullshitting and trying to get a real good feel for what kind of person his new ruler is. He was also there to wag his finger at her with "you did this indiscriminately and thats not nice." and kind of pointing out her hypocrisy on the subject.

She makes the right decision for Hizdahr, but her arrogance at times during the conversation was a huge turn-off.

oh yes. It was enough to make a person wince. Clarke was ok with the delivery as it was kind of wooden (indicating self-doubt) and petulant. "But im in the right! ME! IM IN THE RIGHT!" and Hizdahr is all "not really, no." but it does make her come off as incredibly insufferable. Especially when she asks Missandei how many more cases there are, Dany looks like a kid in a time-out going "how long??"

Archived