[BOOK SPOILERS] Hizdahr

Well when you come to a culture in which slavery is widely integrated and practiced (like ancient Rome and Egypt in RL) it's useless to tell them it's bad because they don't know anything else. It's their way of life and you have come to change it (violently I must add). Nobody will tolerate this. And it would be a bed assumption if you think that there are no good or brilliant people living in "slaver" cultures.

This would be true if Slavers Bay existed in a vacuum, but it doesn't. Braavos is part of Essos after all, "not knowing any better" isn't an excuse.

Also, Aristotle spoke in favor of slavery because there was a widespread anti-slavery movement even then.

As Archer from FX's best cartoon show says, "[Why do people enslave] Because it's free labor."

They do it because it makes them rich.

I hope they make the slave masters as nuanced as the Dothraki. Basically, these are REALLY horrible [censored] people but they have their reasons.

Are you being sarcastic in this quote?

You realize my point is the Dothraki are slavers, rapists, and murderers right?

Yes, that's my point, they are also cartoon villains and you can't use as a standard on how to properly write "nuanced" cultures.

I like him less conceptually. Hizdahr's Meereenese patrician cut out of the same cloth as a Roman pater familias in the novels works quite well for me, whereas this is a somewhat more typical character, more "likable" in the sense that he's more emotive, but that's fairly cheap and easy. Actually seems to me like there's no very great reason why Daenerys might not come to find him appealing, if that's going to be how he usually comports himself.

It does, Hizzy was probably lying through his teeth but it does give depth to his character.

Probably he was, but I think it's not only giving depth to the character, but even more so to the whole situation and Dany. She wants to be the savior and the good and just queen and this is also shown nicely by the farmer. You can really see her joy, when she plays the mother taking care of her "children" role with her paying him more than his goats were worth, him being thankful and then she gets confronted with the fact that being just and fair is not only for those that you like and suddenly ruling is way less fun, when you're not just giving out presents. ;)

I really liked him. Joel Fry is perfect.

I applaud the show's HZL being a likable character, it avoids the books' major failing of having all Dany's adversaries depicted as risible & thoroughly unpleasant.

Just to throw my two cents before reading the thread :

I really loved the way Joel Fry acted Hizdar. I really think he can compose a really interesting character.

There is no horror conceivable by humans which hasn't been perpetrated in real life.

Humanity by its very nature is nuanced. If you're gonna argue against that then I'm afraid you'll be fighting a lost cause.

Humanity by its very nature is nuanced. If you're gonna argue against that then I'm afraid you'll be fighting a lost cause.

And the Dothraki are a clannish, family-orientated people who have strong tribal bonds.

Yeah, they're a bunch of bandits but you get where they're coming from.

I want to see that nuance with the Mereen who are, right now, one-dimensional evil.

And the Dothraki are a clannish, family-orientated people who have strong tribal bonds.

Yeah, they're a bunch of bandits but you get where they're coming from.

I want to see that nuance with the Mereen who are, right now, one-dimensional evil.

There is no nuance in book Dany's universe. All her opponents are as thin as the paper they're printed on.

Hizdahr was good, he made a good first impression as a pretty reasonable character with a sad backstory. I suppose the other nobles might put him forward as their negotiator and he gives a human face to the cartoonish slavers culture in Mereen.

Also I hope Dany looks like an idiot when she spurns the Quentyn and Hizdahr because they're not as pretty as Daario.

Well, he's a lot more attractive than plain old boring book Harzoo. This guy has some sex appeal.

Really? I thought he looked pretty plain, it's clear he's not the heroic, dashing, suave Daario so yeah. I think it is important that Daario is more appealing sexually to Dany than Hizdahr....but then again book Daario was a bit of a mess cosmetically haha.

Archived