[BOOK SPOILERS] Hizdahr

See - I find this a real problem. Hizdahr in the books was NOT cute. He was balding with a big hooked nose if I remember correctly. He was also obnoxiously droll and entitled as nobles in Meereen who owned slaves were. Now they've gone and cast yet another handsome guy in Dany's circle of men - blargh. It's bad enough Jorah Mormont has a voice that could melt the panties off most women and is far more likable and good looking than Jorah from the books was. Let's not even get started on the two different versions of Daario who neither one has strange dyed hair, beard or gold tooth to complete the ridiculous look.

It's like they are surrounding Dany with a posse of sexy adoring men and then expecting us to believe she stays aloof and uninterested. :ack:

He was actually a pretty good looking guy (definitely not balding with a big nose) as described in the books. Dany wasn't attracted to him because of his personality and sliminess, the looks weren't the problem.

I thought Book!Hizdahr was a youngish man with radical hair-wings and a beard. So pretty sure yer wrong about that one...

Ok I'm probably getting the physical description of Hizdar and Reznak or whoever confused. I'll confess I really lost interest in all those toadies that started coming into Dany's court all the time during the Meereen soap opera. I do remember all of them being described as ugly with weird beards, mustaches and hairstyles. Of course this was from young Dany's POV so who knows - but she did find Daario attractive even with the same ridiculous Essos hairstyles going on.

My point about the show still stands however. They're casting a whole lot of really good looking guys around Dany and it's less believable to me.

I like Hizdahr already and i like his sob story. Its pretty obvious hes bullshitting and trying to get a real good feel for what kind of person his new ruler is. He was also there to wag his finger at her with "you did this indiscriminately and thats not nice." and kind of pointing out her hypocrisy on the subject.

oh yes. It was enough to make a person wince. Clarke was ok with the delivery as it was kind of wooden (indicating self-doubt) and petulant. "But im in the right! ME! IM IN THE RIGHT!" and Hizdahr is all "not really, no." but it does make her come off as incredibly insufferable. Especially when she asks Missandei how many more cases there are, Dany looks like a kid in a time-out going "how long??"

I actually like that. I mean, the scene was bad for Dany, I admit, but there we have her, regretting her own decisions, decisions that she took by herself, while her advisers told her otherwise. It shows her commitment to rule, even though her ruling is a mess: she wanted to be the Queen and now she's a Queen, she has no one to tell her do this or that, it's all up to her.

Contrast that with Tommen, who was there only to say "look, I'm the King!" and Stannis who had pretty much the same titles, but he was broke, until his own man talked in his behalf.

I suspect Hizdahr lied about his father's innocence in crucifying slave children. He's a fu*king harpy's son. :angry2:

Yeah, you have to wonder if they didn't make that story up for the drama effect to throw viewers off and think he's a 'good guy' ... lets not forget what a twat he was in the book!

I actually like that. I mean, the scene was bad for Dany, I admit, but there we have her, regretting her own decisions, decisions that she took by herself, while her advisers told her otherwise. It shows her commitment to rule, even though her ruling is a mess: she wanted to be the Queen and now she's a Queen, she has no one to tell her do this or that, it's all up to her.

Contrast that with Tommen, who was there only to say "look, I'm the King!" and Stannis who had pretty much the same titles, but he was broke, until his own man talked in his behalf.

Oh i did like her petulance actually. Im just pointing it out. And shes like "you've got to be kidding me!" I like that this time, she cant exactly have her cake and eat it too.

Oh man, i cant wait for the Shavepate.

Yeah he's already a more complex character than in the books. I hope it doesn't turn out to be LIES ALL ALONG!! and we get another Xaroesque cartoon villain.

In the books though, Essos is full of cartoon villians, Especially Dany's lovers

At least it gave some humanity to the crucifictions that the books failed to provide. It also provided some background to his character that gives him more complexity than I thought the show would allow him to have. I liked it! :)

THIS!

I'm under the impression that Dany is gonna go batshit crazy like The Mad King so it put some perspective into it, rather than just making it seem like she can do no wrong.

This guy is gonna marry and fuck the woman who crucified his father.

Holy shit.

I mean, it does give him a motive to poison her, if he was indeed the one behind it. But still, he's going to "court" her, negotiate with her, marry her, get a hard on and fuck her in a completely non rape fashion.

I don't think he poisoned her, I'm pretty sure it was the guy who was manipulating Barristan

I count this as a victory for team Stannis. Its just a few pebbles rolling down the hill for now, but eventually it will turn to a landslide and the initially reluctant supporters will rally to his cause.

Twilight mentality at it's finest.

THIS!

I'm under the impression that Dany is gonna go batshit crazy like The Mad King so it put some perspective into it, rather than just making it seem like she can do no wrong.

Yeah, I'm hoping that they're going the same way with Dany as they (finally) started going with Tyrion. GRRM has always been very open about how Dany's story is about the difficulty in ruling, so I'm assuming she's gonna get owned a few more times this season and next.

Hizdar was fantastic. I like him more than in the books! Can't wait to see where they go with him in S5...

I also really like how in each of the 3 main scenes ( just going to pretend the Ironborn plot wasn't part of it) there were supplicants facing three judges. It was a nice reflection of how each supplicant came out with a different outcome:

-Stan had a well-reasoned argument - via Davos - including proof, and got what he deserved;

-Hizdar and the goatherd both basically owned Dany, who showed how naive she is;

-Tyrion got stabbed in the back during his farce of a trial, and we all know the outcome of that.

Ok I'm probably getting the physical description of Hizdar and Reznak or whoever confused. I'll confess I really lost interest in all those toadies that started coming into Dany's court all the time during the Meereen soap opera. I do remember all of them being described as ugly with weird beards, mustaches and hairstyles. Of course this was from young Dany's POV so who knows - but she did find Daario attractive even with the same ridiculous Essos hairstyles going on.

My point about the show still stands however. They're casting a whole lot of really good looking guys around Dany and it's less believable to me.

I don't really see how you can blame the show for that though, if it's a carry-over "problem" from the book. I can see blaming them for Jorah, for example, but not for Hizdahr who even Dany admitted was fairly attractive in the books.

I don't really see how you can blame the show for that though, if it's a carry-over "problem" from the book. I can see blaming them for Jorah, for example, but not for Hizdahr who even Dany admitted was fairly attractive in the books.

Not sure where I was blaming the show for anything. I've made an opinion that all of the actors cast for all of the males in Dany's crew are overly handsome (and not portrayed with strange looks like Essos males were) but that's a problem for the entire show, even Tyrion is handsome and most definitely was not described that way in the books. It's a hollywood thing. ;)

I thought it was interesting what they did with him. So far they've shied away from Daenerys' ambiguous side which she has at times, but this really showed it to us and gave him more of a sympathetic side. I think a lot of the people Daenerys meets in Essos are fairly one-dimensional, however this could add some complexity to someone who becomes more important. Of course he could be lying to make her feel sorry for him, but it's an interesting portrayal nevertheless.

Not sure where I was blaming the show for anything. I've made an opinion that all of the actors cast for all of the males in Dany's crew are overly handsome (and not portrayed with strange looks like Essos males were) but that's a problem for the entire show, even Tyrion is handsome and most definitely was not described that way in the books. It's a hollywood thing. ;)

Hollywood syndrome for adaptations is definitely a thing, but GOT is really not a terrible offender in that respect, on balance. There are a few male characters on the show who are smoking hot who were either average or even ugly in the books (Tyrion, Jorah, etc.), but there are also a few male characters on the show who are less attractive than their book counterparts are supposed to be (Theon, Loras, Renly, etc.), and on balance most of the male characters on the show are roughly as attractive as their book counterparts (Tywin, the Hound, Jaime, Varys, Sam, etc.).

Hizdahr is described in the books as tall, slender, with "flawless amber skin" and a "long face." He has "wings of wiry red-black hair sprouting from his temples," and a "beard bound with rings of gold." Dany even thinks that "He would be handsome, but for that silly hair." I'd say Joel Fry (Hizdahr) is a good match for the character as described, although I don't think his GOT hair's silly. Handsome? Check. Wiry, dark hair? Check. Flawless amber skin? Check. Tall? Check. Slender? Check.

It's not openly stated in the books, but when you pick 163 random noblemen to be crucified without a trial, of course there are going to be innocents among them.

Actually, per the books, the 163 are not chosen at random, Dany calls for 163 of their leaders and specifies for which crime (crucifying the children) they will be crucified. The slavers themselves choose who takes the fall. Not the best procedure, but if any are innocent, they were chosen by their own people on purpose, not by Dany at random.

I find Joel Fry very handsome. Not every handsome man looks like Brad Pitt or Thor-babe. I definitely wouldn't mind marry him.

I seriously just now figured out you arent a bloke. Wow.

I like nice looking Hizdahr. Makes it seem a little less painful for Dany to marry him eventually. The viewers will buy it. I wonder if they include Quent, if hes not going to be attractive...im getting too far ahead...

Archived