The Trial - How did you feel?

First time since Blackwater that I was really impressed by an episode. The first half was okay, but the trial was incredible. After the episode had ended, I seemed to be on a high just because of that last scene. I usually never rewatch a scene and I've watched it at least 5 times by now.

I thought it was a great scene and wonderfully well-played, as stated many times upthread.

The one thing I didn't quite take from the books, which was made abundantly clear here was how Tywin was using the threat of Tyrion's execution against Jaime to put Jaime in the position of having to come to him and beg for his brother's life. Exactly what Tywin wanted, when you think about it. It allowed Tywin to set the conditions, which of course were that Jaime quit the Kingsguard and take his rightful place at Casterly Rock and AWAY from Cersei.

Does anyone else remember this point being made in the book(s)?

it's not in the books, it's an addition but I think it works well with Tywin's character.

@ Envie (can't paste quotes for some reason)

Yeah, I accept what you said about the people at court but I could do with at least a whiff of people acknowledging what Tyrion did at the Blackwater. I'm sure there where surviving knights and soldiers who saw what he did and at least a tale of this would have got out. Like how many times does a dwarf lead a sortie?

That you and I have to imagine a bit of appreciation from the smallfolk supports what I'm saying, I think.

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. It's a link to HBO cast & crew discussing the trial. It seems to me they met all their goals from what viewers in the forums have expressed in reaction.

That's a good inside analysis of the scene. I appreciated hearing from both writers, the director and Bryan Cogman as well - because between the four of them, they had to make this scene believable because it was such a crucial turning point in the books not just for Tyrion but many characters in King's Landing. The series of events which unfolds after this trial are huge and monumental. They couldn't screw this scene up and I'm so pleased they nailed it so perfectly.

I thought it was a great scene and wonderfully well-played, as stated many times upthread.The one thing I didn't quite take from the books, which was made abundantly clear here was how Tywin was using the threat of Tyrion's execution against Jaime to put Jaime in the position of having to come to him and beg for his brother's life. Exactly what Tywin wanted, when you think about it. It allowed Tywin to set the conditions, which of course were that Jaime quit the Kingsguard and take his rightful place at Casterly Rock and AWAY from Cersei.Does anyone else remember this point being made in the book(s)?

No never went down like this in the books,it was Kevan who would of been talking to Tywin,infact I don't think Jamie even meets Tyrion until after the trial in Tyrions cell.

Great scene and amazing acting from Dinklage,it's like they gave him a script he could really get his teeth into.

I felt like Peter went a bit OTT with the snarling during the trial, but not so over the top that it detracted from the scene, which was quite excellent. I think that the addition of the deal between Jaime and Tywin was perfect. As an added bonus, it fit well with my headcanon that Tywin knows on some level that Tyrion is too smart to be behind the murder but it's just too good of an opportunity to stop Tyrion from ever being the Lord of Casterly Rock to pass up and thus Tywin smothers his doubts and goes ahead with it.

I thought it was great, not just because of Dinklage, but all the different characters. King's Landing scenes are always great because there's so much character interaction. Margaery, who usually looks calm and in control, looked really uncomfortable, knowing Tyrion is innocent. Pycelle's testimony was great as well, I love the vindictive old bastard.

"We have the generators in sight, Lord Vader. You may commence your landing."

Every time I watch that, I think, "This guy had the BALLS to tell Vader he 'MAY' do something??"

I had a mock "General Veers For President" Campaign with shirts and stuff back in 2004. The slogan was "The Only Competent Leader in the Galactic Empire" and included qualifications such as his skill in putting down insurgencies as demonstrated on Hoth (we were knee deep inputting down an Iraqi uprising at the time).

Peter's work in this episode is some of the finest acting ever done on the small screen in my opinion. I also really loved Charles Dance's scene in season one when he is talking to Nikolaj while cleaning an actual deer! That is some mighty fine acting right there and its all of the incredible acting talent that truly make this show the best on television...

Archived