(Book spoilers) Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is brilliant

Watch "Nightwatch"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwatch_(1994_film)

Its 20 years old but stars a young Nikolaj as well as Kim Bodnia (Frank from "The Pusher")

Pretty good movie

I also just realized he played the main character in a short lived sci-fi/historical/detective mash up New Amsterdam. I remember watching in on Hulu, but apparently it has been removed. However, I did find a trailer first put up in 2008: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUd2BEIy_QQ .

He apparently plays a very different character with a very similar style. Still, find him the right role and he can shine.

The beauty of this scene is how much is NCW able to portray and let us know by just subtle acting. Unfortunately, that doesn't win awards.

First, when he takes Tyrion to the court, someone screams "Kingslayer". that's what Jaime has been hearing for the past 16 years. I think they wants us to see how Jaime is finally able to see himself, or rather see Tyrion, in the same situation he has been living his whole life, for the first time. When Tyrion starts his final speech about how he wished to have let everybody died, Jaime knows that feeling because he also saved the city once, and people only remembers that he broke his vows and killed Aerys. When Tyrion says he's in trial for being a dwarf, Jaime can understand that: he knows his father and sister aren't able to see beyond the "imp", while he actually loves Tyrion because Tyrion is his brother. He knows Tyrion isn't lying: he is been judged for being a dwarf in the same way everybody judge him for being a Kinslayer without knowing that killing the King saved the city.

That's a really good point about Jaime sympathising with the situation, everything the actor does is perfect.

I think NCW is one of the best actors in this series. Yes Peter Dinklage is great, but people tend to overlook everyone else that portrays their characters so convincingly.

In my book, NCW, Stephen Dillaine, Charles Dance, Ian Glenn, Peter Dinklage, Liam Cunningham, Aiden Gillen, and Conleth Hill are the best actors in this series.

Oh and Sean Bean too. Also a shout out to Robert Baratheon's actor. He did a great job too.

Altough I am man, I like his character and he became one of my favourites, mainly becuase he realizes that looks and money doesn't give you all.

After his break-up with Cersei, we got the chance to see his good side and I think this is him.

I would like him become a swordsman as good as before his hand was cut-off.

In my opinion, Conleth Hill it's in top 3 of the best actors in the show. The tone and pitch of his voice, his mimic are that good you might say it's a master of NLP.

I agree with several posters above, Jaime's reaction shots in the background are so important, the way he's observing the different family members and trying to process what's unfolding in front of him.

I much preferred this episode's scene with Tywin to the one in 4.01. I loved Jaime stepping up for his little brother and then the look on his face when he realises he's been played by Tywin.

I totally agree. Nikolaj is GREAT! He was perfect in the last episode.. Apart from the moments you have mentioned, his eyes during that scene where he takes Tyrion out of prison to go to the court room. His eyes expressed so much pain and sadness. I don't even want to imagine his face in episode 10. Oh, the feels!!!

Jaime is the only one that loves Tyrion. :( This was palpable throughout the episode.

One of my favorite scenes of this season was the Jamie/Bronn sparring scene when Bronn describes the trial at the Eyrie and you can just see the switch flip on in Jamie that he needs to actively help Tyrion. Just one of many examples of him acting perfectly without words.

Yes he is great, to the extent where I would often rate an episode with him given allot of screentime (like Oathkeeper or this one) higher than others.

It is usually subtle acting with his facial expressions and mannerisms. Deserves a best supporting actor nomination certainly.

There are a number of others I would consider equal to, or better than Dinklage as well.

He made me love Jaime since the the scene in with Cat in the pen. The "So many oaths" speech. He conveyed arrogance, pragmatism and "you've already judged me anyway" all at the same time.

And count me in on the Conleth Hill appreciation train.

I agree that NCW is doing a great job. Now, I'm simultaneously looking forward to and dreading (if it's shown) Jaime's and Tyrion's "falling out" in the tunnels during Tyrion's escape. That's going to be heart wrenching and so, so good ;)

The prison break scene is going to crush me. It was heart breaking reading it in the books and it will probably be even more painful with the brilliant acting of Dinklage and NCW. :crying:

One of my favorite scenes of this season was the Jamie/Bronn sparring scene when Bronn describes the trial at the Eyrie and you can just see the switch flip on in Jamie that he needs to actively help Tyrion. Just one of many examples of him acting perfectly without words.

Oh yes I agree, he's spot on in all of his scenes.

I just don't see how are they going to make Tyrion turn against Jaime. They have great relations right now, he even tried helping him at the trial. Then he will rescue him and Tyrion will turn against him just like that? Unsullied definitely don't remember the Tysha story that was only brought up ONCE in 4 seasons, not sure how are they going to do it.

I think this is one of the subjects D&D discussed with GRRM. They definitely asked him if the Tyrion turning against Jaime will be important to the story later, you know as in if there will be situation in which they confront each other again in the future and it will matter.

If it won't matter I think they might just change it from the book version and make Jaime and Tyrion have a great and peaceful goodbye scene because what could be the reason for the ShowTyrion to get angry at Jaime?

I just don't see how are they going to make Tyrion turn against Jaime. They have great relations right now, he even tried helping him at the trial. Then he will rescue him and Tyrion will turn against him just like that? Unsullied definitely don't remember the Tysha story that was only brought up ONCE in 4 seasons, not sure how are they going to do it.

I think this is one of the subjects D&D discussed with GRRM. They definitely asked him if the Tyrion turning against Jaime will be important to the story later, you know as in if there will be situation in which they confront each other again in the future and it will matter.

If it won't matter I think they might just change it from the book version and make Jaime and Tyrion have a great and peaceful goodbye scene because what could be the reason for the ShowTyrion to get angry at Jaime?

They will do it just as it was in the books. Not until Tyrion confronts his father does the real truth come out about the Tysha incident. That's when Tyrion will finally lose the last shred of sanity and turn against everyone, including his brother.

What reason does Show Tyrion have? He's been betrayed by everyone - even his brother lied about Tysha. His lover lied and betrayed him and is found in his Father's bed, his Sister wants him dead, he's been framed for a murder he didn't do and his Father willingly let him be tried and found guilty despite his smarter instincts likely knowing the truth of it that Tyrion didn't do it. Tyrion loses the trial by combat and is sentenced to be executed. What else does he have to lose at this point?

Yes he is great, to the extent where I would often rate an episode with him given allot of screentime (like Oathkeeper or this one) higher than others.

It is usually subtle acting with his facial expressions and mannerisms. Deserves a best supporting actor nomination certainly.

There are a number of others I would consider equal to, or better than Dinklage as well.

Agreed. The first golden rule of good acting is to underplay, and NCW does it beautifully. When Dink underplays he is, IMHO, much better than when he has to do deep emotions, but each to his own. I love him too, I just prefer NCW. Even since season 1, NCW has shown that Jaime is perhaps the single most complex character in the whole saga. He's doing a fantastic job.

Nikolaj is quite something, but I've been blowing hot and cold with Jaime this season. Even if I completely ignore the fuck up of episode 3, I feel that Jaime's characterisation is a bit all over the place this season. I liked his scenes in this episode and the last scene he had with Brienne was lovely, but there's something off about him which I can't quite pinpoint.

Don't forget that his character is supposed to be a bit all over the place, because Jaime is extremely conflicted when he returns to KL. After all he has been through in S2 and S3, think about what he is faced with - he loves Cersei, he loves Tyrion, he may not love his father but he has been brought up to respect and honour him. He doesn't want a rift with anyone in his family. Yet his sister and father hate Tyrion, and the time he has spent with Brienne has changed him in ways he can't yet properly fathom. Jaime Lannister now doesn't really know 'who' he is, just like in the books.

I agree with others - right from the start NCW has always played Jaime superbly, and he seems to completely 'get' his character. His tendency to underplay, and say so much through his eyes and subtle body language, is one of his greatest strengths. That's one reason his scenes with Brienne are so powerful, because Gwendoline Christie is also someone who can say a lot by doing very little. In their two goodbye scenes, at Harrenhal in S3 and now in S4 Oathkeeper, it was what wasn't spoken that gave the scenes such power. And yes, even when NCW is just there in a scene, in the background and not actually doing anything, you somehow always notice him. I am really looking forward to seeing future Jaime scenes, especially the rift with Tyrion and also the total breakdown of his relationship with Cersei. Whatever Jaime's personal 'journey' is in the rest of the series, you know that NCW will do it full justice.

^ I so agree. I can't imagine anyone else playing Jaime, he's perfect for the role. As noted above even when he's in the background there's still something about him that draws the eye (and not just his good looks).

The beauty of this scene is how much is NCW able to portray and let us know by just subtle acting. Unfortunately, that doesn't win awards.

First, when he takes Tyrion to the court, someone screams "Kingslayer". that's what Jaime has been hearing for the past 16 years. I think they wants us to see how Jaime is finally able to see himself, or rather see Tyrion, in the same situation he has been living his whole life, for the first time. When Tyrion starts his final speech about how he wished to have let everybody died, Jaime knows that feeling because he also saved the city once, and people only remembers that he broke his vows and killed Aerys. When Tyrion says he's in trial for being a dwarf, Jaime can understand that: he knows his father and sister aren't able to see beyond the "imp", while he actually loves Tyrion because Tyrion is his brother. He knows Tyrion isn't lying: he is been judged for being a dwarf in the same way everybody judge him for being a Kinslayer without knowing that killing the King saved the city.

:agree:

I like watching NCW act Jaime.

Brilliant casting.

Archived