Emilia Clarke

Does anyone else think she was very good this episode? I thought did a great job when talking to the goat herder and, the more sympathetic tone she gradually took on when talking to Hizdahr after being loathsome initially was great.

Yes, I agree. I liked how Dany looked very troubled and sad by what Hizdhar and the goat herder said, but she still tried to keep her serious Queen face on.

Emilia's performance has been improving more and more. She did great on season 3 and this season seems even more promising. She and Kit are really showing what they can do.

I liked how young she looked when she smiled at the goat guy and told him he'd get 3x the value of the goats. She seemed like a younger girl, and it's a nice reminder that she's not quite all grown up even if she is Queen.

Her Valyrian dialogue also tends to up her attractiveness and acting quality too.

She was alright, yeah. Her wooden delivery to Hizdahr was cool cuz it showed she was feeling some self-doubt about the situation. That, and showing how Dany cant just proclaim things with this lot. Her petulance was nice when speaking to Hizdahr and it shows how arrogant Dany had been and how Hizdahr's words sorta brought her back to reality. Her "How many more??" at Missandei and Missandei responds with a huge number and her face is like: "seriously?..." Missandei's annoyed tone of "Yes, Your Grace." was really awesome too. Seems like the M-gal is like "ok, you bought this pig, you arent gonna bother feeding it?"

the "falseness" people have been complaining about seems to be fading here. With the goatherd she was "wearing her Queen armor" so to speak, but it started to break when Hizdahr gave his tearjerking performance. I thought she was amazing.

Better than last episode, surely. Though she completely and utterly overdid the annoyance in both her face and voice in the one line where she makes Hizdahr speak for himself. It was almost comical.

Does anyone else think she was very good this episode? I thought did a great job when talking to the goat herder and, the more sympathetic tone she gradually took on when talking to Hizdahr after being loathsome initially was great.

Yeah shes doing the best she can with the material shes getting and the whole Essosi storyline hasn't been that great and she seems to take the blame for it for some reason and its not really that fair to her. Hopefully they can do a good job with the Jorah betrayal reveal but more importantly they need to start establish the granddaughter/grandfather relationship she had with Barristan in the books which became very critical in the books when she disappeared, people sort of turned to him because he was the closest thing she had to family. Beyond fleshing out Mereen in general, they need to take her off the pyramid and let her be human, maybe she will lighten up after Daario finally bones her, it has been a couple of years for her, I guess anyone would be in a bad mood after that.

I love her too. It seemed like she's been off a bit the last couple episodes, but she was great this time. I loved her snideness towards Hizdahr and the emotion she showed during his tale. Too bad it was such a short scene.ETA

ETA: I think her voice is beautiful, but the Valyrian is very grating to me. I preferred the sound of Dothraki. Also, Hizdahr spoke the common tongue - perhaps trying to emphasize that he feels he is her equal in a way.

She's a very talented actress, but she has been saddled this season with the brunt of a poor decision by the show's producers/directors to take the brief amount of Dany time available (necessarily brief because nothing really happens with her story) and heavily emphasize "regal conqueror." Book Dany can do regal and conqueror but she can also be overcome by her emotions; she questions her own decisions incessantly and basically only has self-confidence when she absolutely must have it (another key to her character: she always steps up in the clutch).

That whole thread about her last week was absurd, in my opinion. She had about 30 seconds of screentime, including these melodramatic scripted turns back and forth and direction to speak in a haughty, regal tone - and really, it had to have been direction, if they didn't want haughty and regal they could've said so. How are you gonna take that kind of dreck and make it sing?

This week they finally interjected a little of that self-uncertainty that the character in the book thrives on, and Clarke nailed it. All she needed was a chance: she can handle this role so long as the directors handle handle their end.

A side question: am I the only one who thinks she is better-looking this year? I don't know whether it's makeup, better diet, or even plastic surgery, because I can't place what it is about her that looks better, but while she has always been a hot chick, this year she's frickin' ravishing. I had a personal theory last year that Emilia Clarke was hitting the sauce a little hard, based on her skin tone, especially around the hands, but I don't see any of those signs this year. That could explain it.

A side question: am I the only one who thinks she is better-looking this year? I don't know whether it's makeup, better diet, or even plastic surgery, because I can't place what it is about her that looks better, but while she has always been a hot chick, this year she's frickin' ravishing. I had a personal theory last year that Emilia Clarke was hitting the sauce a little hard, based on her skin tone, especially around the hands, but I don't see any of those signs this year. That could explain it.

I'm not sure about the looking better part, but I thought the same to myself [about the partying] at the beginning of this new season, maybe because her gestures are just very pronounced and her bearing has changed a bit. They do say, confidence is sexy!

Archived