Emilia Clarke

I'm not sure about the looking better part, but I thought the same to myself [about the partying] at the beginning of this new season, maybe because her gestures are just very pronounced and her bearing has changed a bit. They do say, confidence is sexy!

Here are some pictures of her from last year. Look how red her hands are. I'm no doctor, and maybe a real doctor could give you some better explanation, but I've known a few drunks and I associate hands like that with alcoholism.

http://www.liveforfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/emilia-clarke.jpg

http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2014/01/11/925/n/1922283/f2d6d8d01594a5cd_461768383.jpg.xxxlarge/i/Emilia-Clarke.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/44/ce/a2/44cea201556b9f02ea7a4e5ac1fd5cbd.jpg

http://www.theplace2.ru/archive/emilia_clarke/img/emilia_clarke_10.jpg

Below are some pics from a WSJ spread a couple of months ago. Her hands look much healthier now.

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2014/02/emilia-clarke-covers-wsj-magazine-march-2014-exclusive.jpg

http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2014/02/Emilia%20Clarke%20WSJ%20Magazine/gallery_main/gallery_main-emilia-clarke-wsj-magazine-10.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/3266c24c1df4ab5d36bb57703d37d5f9/tumblr_n0jffdQJPx1qznfkso1_1280.jpg

And yeah, I noticed. :cool4:

Does anyone else think she was very good this episode? I thought did a great job when talking to the goat herder and, the more sympathetic tone she gradually took on when talking to Hizdahr after being loathsome initially was great.

Yep. I mentioned this at one point in the big thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109755-book-spoilers-ep406-discussion/page-36#entry5773061

Happy to see someone make this thread, too.

Thought this was going to be another thread hating on EC and I was prepared to get angry, lol. She's a very good actress and perfect in this role. But, she's sometimes a victim of very poor writing/directing just like Kit. She got to show her chops in this episode -- a welcome change from last week.

Thought this was going to be another thread hating on EC and I was prepared to get angry, lol. She's a very good actress and perfect in this role. But, she's sometimes a victim of very poor writing/directing just like Kit. She got to show her chops in this episode -- a welcome change from last week.

Same. I was thinking ffs are we going to have an Emilia can't act thread every episode? Glad it wasn't that. I can't say I was impressed or disappointed with her this episode, she was just ok. The end of Breaker of Chains has still been her best scene since "Dracarys" imo.

She was a bit better this week. Particularly he stubborn refusal to accept that what she did was not justice. That was very good and very in line with the books and I liked it a lot.

No one ever confronted her on it in the books, or claimed someone "innocent" was killed (that's on this forum, not in the books), so how is it in line with the books?

ETA: She also questioned her decision in the books, the show is actually making her look worse.

There's, like, no way you can tell if someone is consuming less alcohol than normal by looking at a glamor photo of them. Let's be for real, I wouldn't even be confident stating what her skin color is from those photos while knowing the amount of airbrushing that companies use these days.

Same. I was thinking ffs are we going to have an Emilia can't act thread every episode? Glad it wasn't that. I can't say I was impressed or disappointed with her this episode, she was just ok. The end of Breaker of Chains has still been her best scene since "Dracarys" imo.

I think Clarke's acting will definitely pick up once they start giving her more roles like the one she had in this episode. For this entire season, all she's really had were monologues and stirring speeches. She did those well IMO but there's much more to Dany than that and showrunners need to incorporate the other facets of Dany's role in future episodes as she transitions from conqueror to ruler.

I always thought she is doing great in GoT. And still do. She is pretty much perfect in the role in my opinion.

The complaints one reads 'wooden' etc pp to me seem to confuse the character she is playing and her herself as an actress.

To me her performance pretty much nails what Dany is supposed to be like at this stage. Dany is intelligent and talented but very young and a work in progress - and hiding it all behind a facade.

Some people seem to demand that EC somehow shows what behind the facade without removing the facade, if you know what I mean.

And to me she does just that. I get what's behind the facade (or think I do at least). I don't know why some people don't. If she made it any clearer it would become overacting for me. Less is more on my page.

Yes, her heroic one-liners are like 'omg - seriously?'. A little like Bush on that aircraft carrier claiming the war is won when the REAL trouble had hardly even started. But that's exactly how things are SUPPOSED to feel at this point. Dany has a lot of things to learn yet. And hides it and denies it. I really love these 'foolish' sides of her and the long way she has to go still.

No one ever confronted her on it in the books, or claimed someone "innocent" was killed (that's on this forum, not in the books), so how is it in line with the books?

ETA: She also questioned her decision in the books, the show is actually making her look worse.

They have less time. I didnt mean someone actually confronted her, just that a lot of time and nuance was put into making Dany's idea of ruling and justice very questionable. The show is very blunt so it makes sense that they would come right out and question her sense of justice. Like a couple of episodes ago when they came right out and questioned Brienne about her loving Jaime. Not subtle, but it got the job done.

It was the same when people were having a go at Sophie for making Sansa so wooden and reserved. That was the point and now it's generally accepted that she is very good. Some people seem to struggle to differentiate between seeing a character from a POV and a non-POV direction

I think she had fine delivery this episode.

She exhibited the Joy Dany gets from her altruistic mentality thinking she's doing some actual good in the world, and then quickly shifts and displays the response most teenagers would exhibit when they are told they are wrong, frustration. The frustration they undergo when their petulant emotionally driven sense of right and wrong and entitlement are challenged by logic, reason, truth, and facts.

The last episode was the first time I found her wooden but I really enjoyed her scene this week. Dany has pretty much had it all her own way up to this point, and various events will start chipping away at her confidence over the next few episodes and into next season.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I was really surprised, when Elio and Linda started complaining about her acting in this episode of all.

It was a great moment to see her facial expression drop when Hizdhar told her, that she crucified his father. This, and the way she spoke after that, really made it look as if the "regal" and wooden tone she keeps is really something that her character in-universe is trying to keep up (and fails at, if taken by surprise), not just a limitation of the actress.

Emilia Clarke was great this episode but am I the only one thinking she showed weakness by giving in to Hizhdar's demands?

I disagree. Every child can be stubborn and just say "no" whatever happens. That is not strength.

Good lord! Another Clake thread!

I still feel like she gets some badly conceived dialog.

It's gotten to be odd ,tho, how good she is when speaking Valyrian!

I thought she was fine this last episode.

It was the same when people were having a go at Sophie for making Sansa so wooden and reserved. That was the point and now it's generally accepted that she is very good. Some people seem to struggle to differentiate between seeing a character from a POV and a non-POV direction

I have come to view Kit Harington as a 'John Wayne' or 'Clint Eastwood' type of actor, tho the aged Wayne got better all the time and should have picked up an Oscar for the last film he made The Shootist , where he was absolutely remarkable.

(No I dont think Harington will become as famous as them!)

Eastwood has never won a acting Oscar and never will, he has been a good producer and director tho.

Those are two actors who are beyond the top A-list actors, who have just played themselves their film careers.

Several other famous actors like them.

Archived