Emilia Clarke

I totally disagree.

I like the aging up.

NO! I disagree that is does no disservice or characterization , this is not the book, the re-interpretations work just fine.

I know it's not the book because, you know, I am capable of recognising that television is a different medium to a book. But aging Missandei up offers no benefit in the conversion of the book to the screen. With an adult Missandei, the viewer has no window into Dany's mind; that is obviously a problem and results in a more shallow Daenerys.

Considering that D&D are clearly trying to present Dany as complex, if their behind-the-scenes videos are anything to go by, their failure to do so is a PROBLEM with the show. This would not even be a problem if they had not made Missandei older.

Feel free to keep defending the show. You like older Missandei? Great! I'm not trying to dictate what you should or shouldn't like. But at least acknowledge that it doesn't facilitate the characterisation of Dany; Irri could be taking the role of Missandei and the show would barely be different. If you're not willing to acknowledge that, let's just stop this discussion altogether.

I thought she was very good but I rarely think she's anything less. Any problems I have with her scenes is almost invariably due to writing or directing. Qarth was a major disappointment, and increasingly over the last two seasons I think Dany's arc has been written in a very rushed, plot-driven manner. There's only so much any actor can do with that. She can only express vulnerability when the writing calls for it. I think she very clearly showed doubt and fear of inadequacy in the previous episode, but the writing only allowed for about 20 seconds of it, so many people didn't notice.

She was alright, yeah. Her wooden delivery to Hizdahr was cool cuz it showed she was feeling some self-doubt about the situation. That, and showing how Dany cant just proclaim things with this lot. Her petulance was nice when speaking to Hizdahr and it shows how arrogant Dany had been and how Hizdahr's words sorta brought her back to reality. Her "How many more??" at Missandei and Missandei responds with a huge number and her face is like: "seriously?..." Missandei's annoyed tone of "Yes, Your Grace." was really awesome too. Seems like the M-gal is like "ok, you bought this pig, you arent gonna bother feeding it?"

This severely distorts Missandei's reaction. She displayed no annoyance whatsoever, nor did she even say "Yes, Your Grace."

Same. I was thinking ffs are we going to have an Emilia can't act thread every episode? Glad it wasn't that. I can't say I was impressed or disappointed with her this episode, she was just ok. The end of Breaker of Chains has still been her best scene since "Dracarys" imo.

I thought she was great during the scene with Harzoo. She had to convey a lot with her facial expressions and her eyes. She managed to show glimmers of doubt behind the queenly facade. Not a big dracarys type moment, but subtle and I would imagine rather difficult to do as an actor.

Cracks in the mask! Just like I wanted to see. Welcome and well done. There was also a hint, I thought, of desperation in her voice when trying to get back on message, almost shout him down a little bit, because she knew Hizdhar had a point. He was getting to her. Really good.

I thought she was great during the scene with Harzoo. She had to convey a lot with her facial expressions and her eyes. She managed to show glimmers of doubt behind the queenly facade. Not a big dracarys type moment, but subtle and I would imagine rather difficult to do as an actor.

And probably more fun. She always sounds like she has a real good handle on the character in interview snippets I've read/heard. I would suspect she's been looking forward to sinking her actor teeth into Dany's struggles. Man cannot live on ham alone (even if it's very good ham, like her shouting in fake languages is).

Doing the same thing over and over again gets kinda dull. I imagine this is part of why actors tend to dread getting typecast.

Cracks in the mask! Just like I wanted to see. Welcome and well done. There was also a hint, I thought, of desperation in her voice when trying to get back on message, almost shout him down a little bit, because she knew Hizdhar had a point. He was getting to her. Really good.

And probably more fun. She always sounds like she has a real good handle on the character in interview snippets I've read/heard. I would suspect she's been looking forward to sinking her actor teeth into Dany's struggles. Man cannot live on ham alone (even if it's very good ham, like her shouting in fake languages is).

Doing the same thing over and over again gets kinda dull. I imagine this is part of why actors tend to dread getting typecast.

No lie. Ham is all well and good but if its the only thing in the diet, issues arise. Even the spiral roasted ham with cloves and pineapple with the honey glaze. Time to eat yer veggies, Miss Clarke! Broccoli aint bad! Here, have some ranch to dip it in. Now to get her to eat the acting beets. I hope she isnt Tommen for those. :P

Serious actors dread typecasting. Even classically trained guys can fall into that trap and its kinda gnarly. (probably why a lot of them stay in the UK or on the stage.)

She was better this episode, mostly because she was forced to be. If we weren't going to see the self doubt from Emilia's portrayal in this scene, then I don't think we were ever going to see it. I kind of think Emilia being a big fan and reading all of the books has worked against her, because she already knew well in advance that Dany gets to that sort of arrogant, reckless, over zealous, almost emotionless Queen. So she took to that mindset far too early in my opinion. There wasn't great transition between vulnerable season 1 Dany and season 2 onwards Khaleesi/Queen Dany.

Also, still think she is more comfortable speaking made up languages than English. It's so weird how effortlessly Dothraki and Valyrian come out of her mouth, yet every English word is spoken like she's trying to ace a school oral exam.

She still has those dead eyes. I swear she blanked out at least twice during Loraq's speech. Felt just like the time she fell asleep with her eyes open while her brother was being murdered. Emilia should stick with voice acting.

Right, her career is obviously going so poorly. She definitely has the looks for radio.

:dunno:

I'm not sure why you guys are going after Emilia Clarke so hard. You don't think she can get to you? You think she can't find out where you live? There are many film critics and acting coaches who thought so. They all died, the last thing they saw in this life being those beautiful eyes, devoid of any molecule of pity, any atom of mercy.

In all seriousness though, I think she will improve as her scripts improve. Right now, this is the only episode when she had been given dialogue that isn't just a dramatic speech or monologue and I think she's done well playing off of Hizdahr and the guy playing the goatherd. As the Meereen storyline becomes more complex and she gets more stuff to do, I fully expect her to rise to the challenge.

It's kind of like Dillane's Stannis. His character hasn't been given much to do this season at all except stand/sit and brood, but he is still a great actor and once Stannis's storyline gets a jumpstart things will be different. Maybe Clarke isn't in Dillane's league but she's still pretty good when she's given something.

^loooool

I actually love that face. Its great!

It's kind of like Dillane's Stannis. His character hasn't been given much to do this season at all except stand/sit and brood, but he is still a great actor and once Stannis's storyline gets a jumpstart things will be different. Maybe Clarke isn't in Dillane's league but she's still pretty good when she's given something.

Ive seen Dillane in like a whole bunch of stuff and i know hes particularly awesome. GoT is really Clarke's first real gig but its been a while now, so i guess people expected more from her? Its not that much to ask really. I actually think she was ok in this episode. Not 100% crescent fresh, but certainly a lot better than i expected. This is a good sign that she likes her acting broccoli and doesnt just want to eat the ham.

Right, her career is obviously going so poorly. She definitely has the looks for radio.

:dunno:

I dunno, they gotta find something, right?

Personally, I feel she is destined for better things that an HBO series.

Hey, c'mon, 10 episodes a year, she could do a major movie in the off-season and still have lots of time left over.

I think "her adversaries speak only when spoken to" is a very good point. She seems to be responsible for delivering demands and listening to only what she asked been asked to hear. It would be refreshing for D&D to write her some lines that are less focused on authority and moreso on humanism, as the books do embellish.

Well I do feel as if Dany is far more uncertain of her decisions in the books. Of course, it is hard to convey one's thoughts in a TV show, however - the fact that she questions herself multiple times in the books -- both regarding her role as a ruler and a lover -- is far more relatable than a teen who is unquestionably controlling a city. I do understand what you're saying; certainly in the earlier books she is much more of a follower than a leader, which is more relatable for most people. I feel as if the shift that was made from follower to leader was too abrupt in the show, and it has come at a cost, which I largely feel the writers are responsible for.

I dunno, they gotta find something, right?

Personally, I feel she is destined for better things that an HBO series.

Hey, c'mon, 10 episodes a year, she could do a major movie in the off-season and still have lots of time left over.

She has been casted in the new Terminator movie.

My problem with Emilia is that I feel like she's out of her depth.

I think that she tries to portray Dany as strong and relatively fearless. It comes across (to me) as Dany being smug, patronising and basically quite unlikeable.

In the books we have the benefit of her inner monologue. We know she sometimes longs for a simple life in the house with the red door. We know that she cares very deeply for Jorah, Ser Barristan, Grey Worm, Missandei and Khal Drogo. We see her struggle with her decisions, we see her having to remind herself to be strong and brave. We know she cares about the people who support her and wants to be just (even if her idea of justice is often fucked up).

We don't get the benefit of that in the show, which means the actor needs to rely on dialogue, expression, tone and body language to express those deeper feelings. I don't think Emilia manages it. She uses the same expression and tone constantly (haughty/bored/smug) and that's a shame.
The scene with the shepherd was nice, but she doesn't emote often enough.

I think she's not really a camera actor. She would be fine onstage where you have to basically exaggerate everything to allow everyone in the audience to see, but camerawork is all about subtlety, tiny changes in expression or posture or inflection that speak volumes without a word being spoken. To me she doesn't do it well enough.

I agree that she seems stilted and unnatural. I actually liked her scenes in this episode far more than I usually do but a decent performance isn't really acceptable in a show with such a high caliber of actor. This is why I feel she's out of her depth. She is simply not as good as the others generally are.

Archived