Emilia Clarke

She gets the Emmy noms and it baffles me why.

Some of the child actors are better then she is at times. Notably Arya, Shireen and the kid who plays Rickon.

Agreed. Even compared to the kids Emilia is the weak link. She's a nice person and all but not a great actress and I'm starting to dread whenever the wooden post that is supposed to be Dany appears onscreen.

I don't know why some people are saying the acting was really subtle this episode, it wasn't, she was visibly shaken when confronted with her act against the masters and by the end of the episode looked and sounded like a little girl.

I actually don't know how different Show Dany can be right now with a different actress, they'd still have written her in this way, and that episode was a really good example of some good acting from Clarke, and shows Dany as vulnerable, doubting herself.

''Bury your father'' was delivered excellently when compared to her Badass Queen facade.

I also thought she was adorable when she was telling the goat herd she'd pay him back, as she was really annunciating every word like she was going through the motions of actually being a queen and listening to the small folk's problems, and she was really trying hard as a young girl to be a good queen and I could tell that just because of her performance. I was NOT impressed with her scene last week, but this episode? Really? watch it again, the acting nuance is all there.

I actually don't know how different Show Dany can be right now with a different actress, they'd still have written her in this way, and that episode was a really good example of some good acting from Clarke, and shows Dany as vulnerable, doubting herself.

''Bury your father'' was delivered excellently when compared to her Badass Queen facade.

The problem is she's hamming it up a lot (that's the writer's fault as well). Book!Dany seemed more fit to be played by someone like Mia Wasikowska or someone along those lines.

I liked her character in the first novel, most of the 2nd novel, almost all of the 3rd novel...

Then in Dance, where she appears a lot, George seems to just carry along a 'template' Dany...

Still I like the story in Essos a lot, mainly because it's so different the Westeros story, which I get tired of.

One reason I like Arya's story so much in Braavos, it is a fine break from what started out as interesting court intrigue and then became kind of Blah soap opera at KL.

The north is still weird enough for me, so I like that.

One thing that bothers me is lack of passage of time, and I know it bothered George too, things need to have slowed down , people matured more in the books , stories and characters aged by about 5 years.

Things have moved so damn fast that a degree of verisimilitude has been lost.

I think GRRM could write a more mature Dany better.

I think so. It's amazing how much GRRM messed up the big characters in ADWD, and one can see that the lack of the 5 year gap really affected the story. He took characters which used to have solid arcs through the season (Dany) and excellent ones (Tyrion), and made their chapters really boring.

I'm sure things will pick up in TWoW though :)

The problem is she's hamming it up a lot (that's the writer's fault as well). Book!Dany seemed more fit to be played by someone like Mia Wasikowska or someone along those lines.

She's only ''hamming it up'' when she's addressing her soldiers and potential enemies in a battle cry. Hammy is the only way to deliver those sort of lines.

You simply can't just pick lines where the acting is appropriate as examples of her being hammy. This episode she WASN'T.

She was childish and irritable when initially addressing hizdahr, she was visibly shaken when confronted with the defense that she was wrong, she was small and wary by the end of the episode when she realised there was 200 odd people still left to see.

Simply, her scene this last episode was good. It wasn't hammy, it wasn't wooden and I think I might have watched something completely different to the people who said it was.

And I was one of the MAIN people criticising her scene last episode. I am picky AS HELL with acting.

Here are some pictures of her from last year. Look how red her hands are. I'm no doctor, and maybe a real doctor could give you some better explanation, but I've known a few drunks and I associate hands like that with alcoholism.

http://www.liveforfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/emilia-clarke.jpg

http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2014/01/11/925/n/1922283/f2d6d8d01594a5cd_461768383.jpg.xxxlarge/i/Emilia-Clarke.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/44/ce/a2/44cea201556b9f02ea7a4e5ac1fd5cbd.jpg

http://www.theplace2.ru/archive/emilia_clarke/img/emilia_clarke_10.jpg

Below are some pics from a WSJ spread a couple of months ago. Her hands look much healthier now.

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2014/02/emilia-clarke-covers-wsj-magazine-march-2014-exclusive.jpg

http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2014/02/Emilia%20Clarke%20WSJ%20Magazine/gallery_main/gallery_main-emilia-clarke-wsj-magazine-10.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/3266c24c1df4ab5d36bb57703d37d5f9/tumblr_n0jffdQJPx1qznfkso1_1280.jpg

And yeah, I noticed. :cool4:

No dude, no! It looks like rheumatoid arthritis to me... Especially those swollen knuckles. I know... I have it.

Simply, her scene this last episode was good. It wasn't hammy, it wasn't wooden and I think I might have watched something completely different to the people who said it was.

I wasn't only talking about that one scene but her in general,

Don't forget Sweetrobin, he's probably the best child actor on the whole show. It's pretty sad.

He's pretty good too, but I'm really impressed with Shireen.

As a whole I think they really got lucky to get so many great child actors, especially considering it's the first gig for most of them.

Sophie Turner sadly is a bit unnatural at times. Actors like for Jojen and Joffrey are great too but they are adults.

The girl who played Alice? Really? Does she seem like a Dany to anyone else? I don't see it.

I saw her in other stuff and she could pull off the aura. She can be both serious and humble, but also get angry and play the vulnerable child when the "adult" facade breaks. Wasikowska in the TV-show "In Treatment" was everything Dany should be.

Only because she was Alice (and not stellar in that either) doesn't mean she could work in other projects. People couldn't see Heath Ledger as the Joker either and look how that turned out.

No dude, no! It looks like rheumatoid arthritis to me... Especially those swollen knuckles. I know... I have it.

Yes, the swollen knuckles are not what I think about with alcoholism, it was the reddened fingers that I had noticed. And those knuckles look pretty bad in that top shot, don't they? Either she had shut her hand in a car door recently, or there's something the matter there.

But on the other, um, hand, her hands do look better this year. It's not just those few photos I linked to that I'm basing this on, I've been watching her hands for a while because I thought I had noticed something was wrong.

I am picky AS HELL with acting.

Me too. And how.

She was alright this time. The flickering mask, the uncertain vocalization, the crack in her tone when Hizdahr presses. I want more of that kind of thing. The reason im hard on Clarke is cuz i feel like she can be better than she is.

She has been casted in the new Terminator movie.

I think she'll do well in that role. Sarah Conner isnt what i would call super complex. That character has a measure of nuance but shes cake compared to Dany. Plus its a lot of fun to be around Terminators and big guns.

I think she'll do well in that role. Sarah Conner isnt what i would call super complex. That character has a measure of nuance but shes cake compared to Dany. Plus its a lot of fun to be around Terminators and big guns.

But in that kind of movie it's supposed to be over the top, so her acting style is more fitting. It's actually funny that Lena Headey was also Sarah Connor.

[MOD]

Some posts that showed a complete lack of respect for the actress under discussion have been deleted, as have some posts quoting those in question.

Further efforts of a similar nature will result in suspensions.

[/MOD]

But in that kind of movie it's supposed to be over the top, so her acting style is more fitting. It's actually funny that Lena Headey was also Sarah Connor.

Yeah and a lot of fun. Being in an action movie has got to be the acting equivalent of eating ice cream while being on the Matterhorn in Disneyland. Look at the fun that guys like Tom Hiddleston were having in those Marvel movies! So Clarke being Conner will be fun and she can roll around in it like a kid in a candy store. If the rest of the season has her being like she was this episode, ill concede that she earned it.

Headey has been in some pretty fun roles. Like that chick in the last Dredd movie. She knows how to have a good time too.

Headey has been in some pretty fun roles. Like that chick in the last Dredd movie. She knows how to have a good time too.

I think Heady fits in those "though tomboyish" roles like in Dredd or in Sarah Connor Chronicles. She's a good Cersei but I think she doesn't have that Book!Cersei elegance and looks to her. She is good looking in a different way.

I think so. It's amazing how much GRRM messed up the big characters in ADWD, and one can see that the lack of the 5 year gap really affected the story. He took characters which used to have solid arcs through the season (Dany) and excellent ones (Tyrion), and made their chapters really boring.

I'm sure things will pick up in TWoW though :)

George RR Martin readers learn to have patience for the payoffs. We just read the middle book, it was a bridge. The climax starts prob 1/2 through the next book (aWoW) and builds through out aDoS. I expect another aCoC and aSoS to come our way, maybe even better.

Archived