Emilia Clarke

Yes, the swollen knuckles are not what I think about with alcoholism, it was the reddened fingers that I had noticed. And those knuckles look pretty bad in that top shot, don't they? Either she had shut her hand in a car door recently, or there's something the matter there.

But on the other, um, hand, her hands do look better this year. It's not just those few photos I linked to that I'm basing this on, I've been watching her hands for a while because I thought I had noticed something was wrong.

You are either trolling or need to see an ophthalmologist in a bad way!

I don't know why people think shooting is fun. Sometimes it can be, but it's also full of getting up at the crack of dawn and leaving at midnight, freezing your ass off or suffocating in the heat because winter shoots for summer and summer for winter, getting injured, having to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over, dealing with actors/directors/production and their egos, all the tedious wardrobe fittings, having to continually push yourself past breaking point, memorising massive tomes of text.... and so on and so forth.

Acting itself can be fun, but I don't feel like the shooting itself is as easy and fun as a lot of people seem to believe it to be. Some jobs are better than others, of course. I'll never understand people who leave voice acting for TV. Voice acting is a cushy as hell gig and once you're in, you're in for life basically.

Florina has the right of it. she's a good actress but her performance has been lacking and all around inconsistent since S2 with good shades in between then. I think some of it definitely stems from the writing though. This last episode was the first "emotional" thing we've gotten from her in a while. And I think that's where she can truly excel.

As to the poster who mentioned Mia W, I have not seen In Treatment but I shall check it out. I've seen her performance in Jane Eyre, not just Alice, and I still can't quite see her as Daenerys.

As to the poster who mentioned Mia W, I have not seen In Treatment but I shall check it out. I've seen her performance in Jane Eyre, not just Alice, and I still can't quite see her as Daenerys.

I have to add she's a bit too whiny there to be Dany, but still you can the just of the whole she has to be strong even though she had a shitty childhood and so on and needs to act more like an adult even though she's still basically child. It doesn't have necessarily to be her but someone more versed in dramatic roles than Emilia.

I'd imagine that GOT would be very tedious to film, but would be a fun place during down-time.

I might be wrong, but I think on average Emilia has to film with green screens more frequently than a lot of the other main cast do. Maybe her performance is affected by that. Then again, if she was a voice actor she should be used to having to act without the benefit of sets, other actors, costumes and so forth.

I really do feel like she's better suited to theatre. Not every actor is a camera actor, and it doesn't mean you're not talented. It just means your particular skillset isn't best suited for camera work. In theatre it's far more acceptable to ham it up and subtlety can actually work against you. Were she playing Dany in a play I think she'd be great. She just hasn't shown herself to have the chops for TV Dany imo.

She's doing just fine, even for tv. Some of her critics here don't seem to understand bookDany very well and seem totally baffled when they watch a different tvDany. It's like a teacher telling you that the essay you spent ages on was totally wrong and off topic, you need to write another one!

She's doing just fine, even for tv. Some of her critics here don't seem to understand bookDany very well and seem totally baffled when they watch a different tvDany. It's like a teacher telling you that the essay you spent ages on was totally wrong and off topic, you need to write another one!

She's doing fine for TV but like I said she has a huge load on her carrying her own story. Especially since Drogo and Vyserys died and the remaining cast's lines became less and less.

Emilia has had some inconsistent performances but a good part of that has to do with the writing / directing and some with her own inexperience / talent. However, when it comes to the big moments she had always been able to deliver, it's the more subtle moments that she has had more issues with. As for the TV comment, you obviously didn't want Dracarys one of the best scenes in the whole series.

George RR Martin readers learn to have patience for the payoffs. We just read the middle book, it was a bridge. The climax starts prob 1/2 through the next book (aWoW) and builds through out aDoS. I expect another aCoC and aSoS to come our way, maybe even better.

Oh, I know that. I always used to feel defensive, when I used to browse through this site before ADWD's release and hear all the complaints about AFFC. Sure, GRRM had made quite a boring book, but I believed that he was just setting up for the inevitably awesome ADWD. However, when you take two books to set things up without providing any sort of resolutions at all, then that is not impressive. Also, if only he'd included one of the two battles in ADWD, it would have gone down as being pretty great. However, he wasted time instead on pointless chapters and exposition that he hadn't done in books 1-3 (all the food, etc). His pacing was off by a lot in comparison to his first three. I still love the series, I just don't consider GRRM as highly as I used to. ADWD and AFFC were incredibly disappointing for me :'( .

I still don't get how AFFC is boring...

It's not as engaging because almost half of it deals with merely moving people from one place to another, and spends a lot of time on lesser POVs that were just added during the book and are not that engaging. World building is great, but not for 700+ pages.

It's not as engaging because almost half of it deals with merely moving people from one place to another, and spends a lot of time on lesser POVs that were just added during the book and are not that engaging. World building is great, but not for 700+ pages.

It also succeeds the whammy festival that was Storm of Swords, so it pales in comparison by default.

Normally I don't have much of an opinion on her one way or another. I just re-watched the episode in the background while taking care of some things in the house and when that Hizadr scene came up it was pretty bad how wooden she sounded just listening to the audio.

It really sounded like some middle school theater class and the way the conversation flowed was just off, like as soon as she heard him stop talking she started reading off a cue card or something and rushed it just to get her line off. I'm not really an acting expert or anything and don't really notice huge differences between slightly bad to slightly good acting, but that scene was really jarring for some reason.

You don't need to be an actor to recognise when something isn't right, just like you don't have to be a chef to know when food tastes bad.

I think she'd benefit from some masterclasses with a really good acting coach. She needs to learn how to deliver a subtle performance. If she doesn't, she'll never progress beyond hammy. A truly good actor can take bad dialogue and completely overcome it with their talent. Hammy lines don't necessitate a hammy performance.

You don't need to be an actor to recognise when something isn't right, just like you don't have to be a chef to know when food tastes bad.

I think she'd benefit from some masterclasses with a really good acting coach. She needs to learn how to deliver a subtle performance. If she doesn't, she'll never progress beyond hammy. A truly good actor can take bad dialogue and completely overcome it with their talent. Hammy lines don't necessitate a hammy performance.

I so agree. It's not a matter of not understanding the book (I understand it just fine) or not realizing that the book and the show are different (duh!) or it just being bad writing. An actor that is genuinely good can rise above bad material.

Others on the show have been saddled with clunky lines and weird dialogue and yet their performances were just fine and even excellent because the actor had the skill to do something with the crap they were handed. Emilia just isn't that good.

I so agree. It's not a matter of not understanding the book (I understand it just fine) or not realizing that the book and the show are different (duh!) or it just being bad writing. An actor that is genuinely good can rise above bad material.

Agreed. Charles Dance, Diana Rigg and Kerry Ingram never read the books and a lot of it is even show exclusive stuff (which in general is not on par with the books), yet they elevate the material. Stephen Dillane has to work with some very mediocre writing at best, yet still manages to give a good performance,

Others on the show have been saddled with clunky lines and weird dialogue and yet their performances were just fine and even excellent because the actor had the skill to do something with the crap they were handed. Emilia just isn't that good.

Others on the show saddled with clunky lines , who have finessed them , like Charles Dance, have years and years of experience... except for Maisie I have seen all the young actors read right though some awkward dialog without any nuance at all. Tho, I think in general they have been given good dialog.

Maisie is amazing and seems born to acting ...

she has a real test coming up in Braavos

but I think she will be able to do it.

Broken Record:

Clarke was fine in season 1.

Season 2, E1,E2 and mostly E10... she was fine... I think D and D wrecked her with their awful dialog and the directors minds seemed elsewhere in the other episodes.

Season 3 I thought she was spot on, as I have said about 50 times now, Clarke hit it out of the park with DRACARYS, S3E4....

The Essos story this season has been on such a short leash it's hard to say much about it... except that Clarke's address to Meereen in Valyrian was spot on! That must have been hard to do.

I see a young actress , who, given good dialog and stage direction can be very good ... she seems lost when she does not get those things.

Archived