The Iron Bank: a local bank for local people [Book Spoilers].

I thought this was a very good scene, pushing Stannis' storyline forward (at last). It also reminded us what a good, loyal man Davos is (and I love his West Yorkshire accent).

Did anyone else think that the room looked more modern than other architecture we have seen? Instead of looking Classical or Medieval I thought it look more Renaissance. I wonder if this was deliberate.

And of course, as the title suggests, I thought that Mark Gatiss played a good part.

"This is a local bank, for local people! There's nothing for you here!''

My only criticisms are because they have (D & D) don't quite understand Stannis' character and haven't really made him very likable at all, Davos' adoration doesn't play quite as well because it seems far fetched that he'd love the Stannis D & D have created.

The architecure of the Iron Bank was modern and spare, but also authoritative and imposing. I liked the look with the huge doors, table, and smaller seats for "customers..." you know, the ones Stannis refused to sit upon! The lack of color and frills paid homage to the seriousness of the business transactions that occur in that room. The banker guy was rather cocky and Davos was great, of course.

I do wish they had retained Lord Tycho's polite and amiable personality from the books though. I did like the gentle teasing ("four thousand men? thirty-two ships??") but his overall smugness reminded me too much of an identical scene from season two when Dany was begging for a loan from the Spicers. The Spice merchants asked her the same question ("how many men have you got??") It also would have been nice if Stannis were given more useful role. This scene would have worked even if Stannis weren't present since all he does is sit there and whine about how "all of your money is MINE BY RIGHTS!!"

I do wish they had retained Lord Tycho's polite and amiable personality from the books though. I did like the gentle teasing ("four thousand men? thirty-two ships??") but his overall smugness reminded me too much of an identical scene from season two when Dany was begging for a loan from the Spicers. The Spice merchants asked her the same question ("how many men have you got??") It also would have been nice if Stannis were given more useful role. This scene would have worked even if Stannis weren't present since all he does is sit there and whine about how "all of your money is MINE BY RIGHTS!!"

Their Stannis just doesn't work, it's one of my biggest problems with the show. Davos is so perfect but even he doesn't quite work because he worships someone that just isn't likable in the show AT ALL. He hardly said ANYTHING in this scene and what he did say was whiny and entitled and just...I'm not interested with show Stannis at all and that's NOT the sort of thing I should be feeling forwards a character I'm quite invested in in the books.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived