Alfie Allen Appreciation

I wonder who is more famous now, Lily Allen's music career or Alfie Allens stint on GoT. Much respect to Alfie though, probably the toughest character to play in the entire series and there's not much to fault him on.

Not too sure how anyone could call Dinklage's trial speech cartoonish. There's a time for subtle acting and a time where emotions need to be on full display. The trial required that latter, and Dinklage nailed it. Most of Alfie's acting this season requires subtlety and he's nailing that. Both are doing a great job and don't need to be compared.

Man it must be fun to see the two chilling over some pints at the local pub

...Imma betting they got approached by more than one unicorn...honest mistake.

He's better than Dinklage, in my opinion, because his acting is way more subtle and understated but also more demanding. I still miss the broken teeth and missing fingers, but his performance just sells Reek, man. And it's cool that he didn't starve himself for the role Christian Bale style, because that shit is dangerous

He looks thinner than last season (collarbones seem more jutty/hollow), but the main thing is how he acts it. No visible dental damage effects, but he spoke like he had some kind of difficulty (sorta slurring). Psychosomatic or choking on tears? No idea but it worked! The lighting in that last scene between them was amazing.

Alfie has really surprised me with how well he's adapted to the degeneration of his character into Reek. It was easy to see him playing the cocky arrogant jerk he was at Winterfell in the first season. Then when he started making huge mistakes and trying to impress his Father and the horrific murders at Winterfell after that - it all started him on that tragic transformation.

But by this season, the transformation is complete and we no longer recognize the Theon Greyjoy we loved to hate in the first two season. Now we feel genuinely pained and sympathetic to the trauma he's gone through. Now THAT takes some very good script writing, directing and acting to pull off well. I'd say Theon's story arcs is one of the most difficult to portray from the books. Alfie and the writers who have coached him through this transformation have NAILED IT.

Man Alfie was seriously awesome in this ep. Now we know for sure he's gonna kill it next season.

Rheon also played a good Ramsay, though a bit too funny for me.

And their storyline was changed around a lot, but it totally worked. I loved it all.

Alfie has really surprised me with how well he's adapted to the degeneration of his character into Reek. It was easy to see him playing the cocky arrogant jerk he was at Winterfell in the first season. Then when he started making huge mistakes and trying to impress his Father and the horrific murders at Winterfell after that - it all started him on that tragic transformation.

But by this season, the transformation is complete and we no longer recognize the Theon Greyjoy we loved to hate in the first two season. Now we feel genuinely pained and sympathetic to the trauma he's gone through. Now THAT takes some very good script writing, directing and acting to pull off well. I'd say Theon's story arcs is one of the most difficult to portray from the books. Alfie and the writers who have coached him through this transformation have NAILED IT.

Ya Alfie Allen has really been ridiculously good in the role of which he hasn't seemed to receive a lot of attention.

He's essentially had 3 different characters he's had to play. There was the cocky, kind of douchy ward Theon from most of season 1. Then there was the Theon of season 2 where the insecurity and need for reassurance was at the forefront. Then there was season 3-4 Theon and the transition into Reek. He's played it all so amazingly well and in a way it all just seems organic . The most impressive part is just how well he makes it seem like these vastly different affects and his overall character evolution are all believably from the same person.

Alfie's acting has always been good. Unfortunately for him, that was an awful scene. That scene also did not belong in this episode. One minute, the Skinners and the Ironborn were at a standoff. Half-second later, we find the Ironborn on the beach. That scene was badly done and almost ruined an otherwise great episode.

He was very good and is handling the transformation well. The closest we've seen to it so far. He's doing well because it's the sort of thing which can easily come across as overdone and over the top if you don't nail it. He seems genuinely terrified every time he's around Ramsay though, always taking care with his words, and it's effective between the two.

Great thread. I agree Alfie allen has not received the attention he deserves, probably because he is so goofy looking and his role is not "bad ass" or sympathetic. I was extremely skeptical when the casting was announced but he has more than won me over. Great acting all around, especially in his "baptism" which is still my most favourite Game of Thrones scene.

I also wonder if there is rivalry between him and his sister ... just remember that humorous but still pretty nasty song she made about him. I have heard he took it pretty hard. I would have too if my sister had done that, with millions of people laughing at me, man ... now he is just as successsful as she is. Probably doesn't make es much money as she does, though.

I also wonder if there is rivalry between him and his sister ... just remember that humorous but still pretty nasty song she made about him. I have heard he took it pretty hard. I would have too if my sister had done that, with millions of people laughing about me, man ... now he is just as successsful as she is. Probably doesn't make es much money as she does, though.

Yeah, I've always kind of wondered how their relationship is actually. I never really hear either of them say much at all about each other. Not that I really have seen a great deal of interviews with them. Anyway managed to track down this interview with Lily Allen after her first album came out in 2006.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/6476-lily-allen/

Pitchfork: What does your family think about being subjects of your songs-- your grandmother, your brother?

Lily Allen: My grandmother still doesn't know.

Pitchfork: She has no idea? Nobody's told her?

Lily Allen: No, it's not on the album, she doesn't know how to work the internet, and it's not really widely reported.

Pitchfork: Nobody tried to ask her for a comment or anything?

Lily Allen: No, none of that. When I wrote "Alfie", nobody really knew who I was. At first he was really upset about it, because he thought that I was just pointing out all of his bad points and attacking him. I thought it was really flattering [Laughs]. I thought he'd be really, really happy because it proved to him how much I loved him, that I care about him, and I want him to do something with his life. I suppose his paranoia-- induced by smoking so much weed-- made him think, "Why are you trying to be mean?"

Pitchfork: Did it work?

Lily Allen: Yeah, he's doing really well-- he's just done a film with Keira Knightley called Atonement

I think there would be a certain sibling rivalry now that Alfie is achieving success, but I don't get the feeling it's in bad spirits or anything. Lily has always gone very personal in her music whereas Alfie doesn't have that luxury in his career.

Alfie as Theon has been one of my favorite parts of the show since season 2. I didn't care for the Ironborn raid overall, but his performance as Reek was great. I'm excited to see the Theon stuff next season.

Yeah, I've always kind of wondered how their relationship is actually. I never really hear either of them say much at all about each other. Not that I really have seen a great deal of interviews with them. Anyway managed to track down this interview with Lily Allen after her first album came out in 2006.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/6476-lily-allen/

Pitchfork: What does your family think about being subjects of your songs-- your grandmother, your brother?

Lily Allen: My grandmother still doesn't know.

Pitchfork: She has no idea? Nobody's told her?

Lily Allen: No, it's not on the album, she doesn't know how to work the internet, and it's not really widely reported.

Pitchfork: Nobody tried to ask her for a comment or anything?

Lily Allen: No, none of that. When I wrote "Alfie", nobody really knew who I was. At first he was really upset about it, because he thought that I was just pointing out all of his bad points and attacking him. I thought it was really flattering [Laughs]. I thought he'd be really, really happy because it proved to him how much I loved him, that I care about him, and I want him to do something with his life. I suppose his paranoia-- induced by smoking so much weed-- made him think, "Why are you trying to be mean?"

Pitchfork: Did it work?

Lily Allen: Yeah, he's doing really well-- he's just done a film with Keira Knightley called Atonement

I think there would be a certain sibling rivalry now that Alfie is achieving success, but I don't get the feeling it's in bad spirits or anything. Lily has always gone very personal in her music whereas Alfie doesn't have that luxury in his career.

Interesting interview with big Sis on that particular song. I always loved it and thought it was hilarious. I can see where Alfie might have been a little pissed about it but she wrote it in a fun, tongue-in-cheek kind of way - not really mean spirited . It was basically a song about how Alfie smoked pot and played video games all day and needed to do something with himself. A typical jab from a big sister and who doesn't know someone like Alfie in their lives like that? LOL.

Well I guess he's not sitting around smoking pot and playing video games anymore is he big Sis? :cool4:

Archived