Alfie Allen Appreciation

Theon is my favourite character as his story arc is simply one of the best I have ever read. Alfie nails it. Absolutely. Just IMAGINE a Jeyne rescue scene, this NEEDS to happen, it will be FANTASTIC.

You know, if D&D had any intentions to skip a large part of the Winterfell plot in season 5 or overly simplify it, I hope Alfie's performance would dissuade them. You're right, I'm expecting this to be full on awesome. We need a Jeyne rescue. I'm satisfied that Asha is no longer around, but now I'm worried that Myranda's still around. We need Jeyne Poole!!!

You know, if D&D had any intentions to skip a large part of the Winterfell plot in season 5 or overly simplify it, I hope Alfie's performance would dissuade them. You're right, I'm expecting this to be full on awesome. We need a Jeyne rescue. I'm satisfied that Asha is no longer around, but now I'm worried that Myranda's still around. We need Jeyne Poole!!!

I mean, he doesn't even really register his own sister, he's THAT terrified, imagine him finally reflecting on his identity and patching himself together again, and then having the inner strength and bravery to come from the brink of torture-ridden insanity, remember his true name, and rescue a poor girl from Ramsay, it will be SUCH good television, D & D can't pass up on this, I just don't know who fArya with be as of yet. Will they get Jeyne Poole back? So far I am NOT enjoying Ramsay being almost sexy with that Myranda character, he needs to really start showing just how vile he is, we've seen what he's done to Theon, but I still I don't think it's enough to show just how disgusting and depraved Ramsay is, they need to have him being a complete monster and for Theon to go up against this big monster and save the girl.

Alfie is incredible. Theon only grew on me as a character in ACOK/S2 and as I continued to read the books I loved him him more. But now he is breaking my heart each time he's on screen. He's a nervous, shuddering, juddering wreck. I couldn't even watch all the torture scenes in S3 if I'm being honest, but he's portraying "broken Theon" so brilliantly.

I mean, he doesn't even really register his own sister, he's THAT terrified, imagine him finally reflecting on his identity and patching himself together again, and then having the inner strength and bravery to come from the brink of torture-ridden insanity, remember his true name, and rescue a poor girl from Ramsay, it will be SUCH good television, D & D can't pass up on this, I just don't know who fArya with be as of yet. Will they get Jeyne Poole back? So far I am NOT enjoying Ramsay being almost sexy with that Myranda character, he needs to really start showing just how vile he is, we've seen what he's done to Theon, but I still I don't think it's enough to show just how disgusting and depraved Ramsay is, they need to have him being a complete monster and for Theon to go up against this big monster and save the girl.

I think the hunt in episode 2 showed how vile he is. if anything they have showed a lot more of his cruelty than the books did. As for myranda I have no problem with that as she is also psychotic herself.

Agree. I have yet to see a scene with him where he's intimidating and scary. Even though he's cruel he's very jolly and funny so it's hard to take him seriously. I want him to just for once be SERIOUS. They should definitely include that conversation between him and Roose where he says 'Don't make me rue the day..' it's too good of a line to pass up

He was really amazing.

My only objection - and this is nitpicking - is that he didn't seem nearly filthy and tattered enough. Costume and make-up have IMO been the real stars of the GOT show, and have been fabulous - both visually and in terms of giving plot nuance and subtext - but in this one instance I kind of feel they let Alfie/Reek down. He should have looked like Count of Monte Cristo after 10 years in jail or the way Harry Potter movies made Sirius Black look in Azkaban - really damn filthy, with black teeth and all that.

So far I am NOT enjoying Ramsay being almost sexy with that Myranda character

Yes that sex scene was really too much for me :dunno: So what now Jaime is a rapist but Ramsay is not? He actually has a girlfriend and they're so cuter together because they're both psychos and it makes them happy? I just don't get that.

However, the bath scene with Reek worked just fine for me. The show often plays the overly obvious card with things that are only hinted at in the show (hello Loras and Oberyn...) but I liked that they were subtle enough about it this time, yet it was there. Ramsay's relationship with Theon definitely has a twisted sexual element to it. That was brilliant. Yuck

Alfie Allen was amazing as Reek. Nailed it completely despite lacking the physical requirements. Looking forward to his scenes with Stephen "Stannis" Dillaine.

Oh you're so right. It will be nice to see a pathetic Theon becoming his mocking self again.

Theon's my favorite male character from ASOIAF and Alfie is nailing it. Every scene with him is so good, he delivers a great Theon- especially in season 2!

Honestly for me D and D could butcher the rest of the story as long as they do Theon's story perfect. :)

and let's pray he lives...

I dont have a problem with the realtionship with mryannda. she is a pychopath and I do not think it is out of charcter. I can see ramsay keeping a girl around, if she was in to the whole sadism thing he is in too. We are not presented with the situation in the books so we have no way of knowing what ramsay would do if he came across a girl who also enjoyes inflicting pain on people. Plus we have already scene in epsiode 2 that he has a bad habit of feeding girls to his dogs so, If i was a girl I would stay away. As for The performance, it does go over the top on occasion, yes ramsay loves all the evil acts he commits, he truly loves inflicting pain, but sometimes rheon goes over the top and it bleeds into crackling comic villian. Martin manges to keep him somewaht more gorunded in the book, he is still joyful about his acts of evil, but is somewhat more seroius. Overall though i think rheon is doing a good job.

Rheon IS doing a good job, I agree with you on that.

What I mean is, they made Ramsay be a very different character and that change is hard to wrap my head around.

I mean, Joffrey was shown as a sadist in the show when he isn't in the books.

But the one character who is actually utterly horrible in the books, they turn him into a cute funny guy in an evil way... I'm exagerating a bit, but you get the idea. The gap is huge. Besides, I really do not think book Ramsay would keep that psycho Myranda around. Definitely not. Ramsay doesn't like to be on an equal footing with anybody. He's all about power and proving it by hurting people, especially women. But even in his interactions with all the other characters, this guy has absolutely nothing nice in him. He always got to get his point across that he's the bad guy and they all better fear him. He's not going to play along like he's an ok boyfriend. Plus the ok boyfriend situation is never depicted anywhere in the books except in Jon's case if my memory serves me right, and although it works for Jon who is clearly a progressist, Ramsay it the last person I'd expect to see in that role.

Rheon IS doing a good job, I agree with you on that.

What I mean is, they made Ramsay be a very different character and that change is hard to wrap my head around.

I mean, Joffrey was shown as a sadist in the show when he isn't in the books.

But the one character who is actually utterly horrible in the books, they turn him into a cute funny guy in an evil way... I'm exagerating a bit, but you get the idea. The gap is huge. Besides, I really do not think book Ramsay would keep that psycho Myranda around. Definitely not. Ramsay doesn't like to be on an equal footing with anybody. He's all about power and proving it by hurting people, especially women. But even in his interactions with all the other characters, this guy has absolutely nothing nice in him. He always got to get his point across that he's the bad guy and they all better fear him. He's not going to play along like he's an ok boyfriend. Plus the ok boyfriend situation is never depicted anywhere in the books except in Jon's case if my memory serves me right, and although it works for Jon who is clearly a progressist, Ramsay it the last person I'd expect to see in that role.

Well ramsay and myranda are not on the same footing, ramsay is abousloutly in control of her. she is replacing the role that the bastard boys had in the books ie like minded psycho who assists ramsay in his cruelties. ramsay in the show does the same exact things that he does in the books ie flay and hunt people for fun. and ramsay is an ok boyfriend? I think tansy and all the previous girls that were hunted and fed to dogs would disagree. Eventually myranda will meet her fate, if she did not already in episode 6. Her being pychotic will buy her some extra time, but the day will come when ramsay kills her.

I'm a big fan of Alfie Allen, and have been since episode 1, but I actually thought he overdid it a little bit, at least in the first part of the scene, with his twitching and turning away from people's eyes. I thought of Reek from the book as somebody who was so scared of Ramsey that he kind of got it together to master the public manifestations of his insanity, and found this a little over the top.

But I got more comfortable with it as the scene went along. The bath scene was very powerful. Rheon nailed his part, too. He looks like he was born to play a sadistic sociopath. Could you see him in another role?

Archived