[Book & show spoilers] Tywins letter to Meereen

What is the consensus on Who Tywin was writing to in Meereen? .

I have read speculation that it is to Daenerys informing her of Jorah's duplicity.

I fail to see what this would achieve in the long term, sure it would remove Jorah as Daenerys closest advisor but as Tywin and the council already know she has Ser Barristan a great commander and the greatest knight who ever lived.

It is hardly a good strategy to do something that may antagonise Daenerys. If this is the way they are going to reveal Jorah's betrayl I think it's pretty weak writing and inferior to the books reveal.It might be plausible that Tywin is infact writing a letter to a noble house in Meereen offering them some kind of arrangement were they create some kind of insurgency against Dany and he will reward them financially.

I'm sure Barristan if he didn't serve on the Small Council attended meetings of the Small Council particularly when Ned joined as the King's Hand, I recently rewatched the first three seasons and I was surprised how much Barristan features... prior to watching my only recall of the character was the scene where Joffrey 'retires' him from the King's Guard but he crops up rather more often in season one

I assume it'd be a bit more subtle than say "Hello Not-Queen Dany, Jorah is a spy." For example, perhaps a letter asking Jorah for his latest report could "accidentally" go astray and fall into Barristan's hands - with Barristan as something of a dupe to Tywin. Or the letter could somehow cast doubt on Barristan as well?

My take was that he wrote to Jorah offering his lands and title back - with maybe an implied threat to the other living Mormonts? Jorah wanted to go home in the books.

Edit: In return for offing Dany

I think the purpose of the letter is to spread news throughout Meereen that Jorah has been spying on her. The news will eventually reach Dany. I don't think it is meant to be a direct letter to her. The goal is probably to create dissension among her ranks and remove her most valuable and trusted adviser. Which will segue nicely into Varys sending Tyrion to her.

I've been telling you guys, Tywin is just a huge cockblock. First it was interrupting Oberyn's pants-on orgy, and now he's going to cockblock Jorah from half a world away. I bet poor Jorah is going to take a breath and finally get ready to make a move on Dany and then BAM! Tywinblocked!

I assume it'd be a bit more subtle than say "Hello Not-Queen Dany, Jorah is a spy." For example, perhaps a letter asking Jorah for his latest report could "accidentally" go astray and fall into Barristan's hands - with Barristan as something of a dupe to Tywin. Or the letter could somehow cast doubt on Barristan as well?

Exactly this. Whoever that letter will go to, I'm 95 % sure that it will eventually cause Jorah's downfall. We know that Barristan sticks with Dany throughout ADWD, so whatever that letter may say about him will not have the desired effect.

I've never even though of Dany O_o I supposed he was going to pull some strings in Mereen, see if he can get someone to off her, not write directly to her. But it makes sense - someone has to out Jorah, and since Barristan seems not to be the one...

I think the letter is for Barristan. Tywin will deeply apologize for his removal from the KG, while stating that he is with a spy now. He maybe will offer him to come back, but he probably knows that's unlikely.

He might just said "As a token of respect and appreciation for all your deeds in the Kingsguard, I'm informing that ser Jorah Mormont is currently a spy for King's Landing." or something like that.

Knowing Barristan's honor and sense of duty, Tywin will know that will sow dissent and Jorah will finally get expelled.

"Jo,

This is your dawg Tywin checkin in from King's Landing.

Hope you've been havin a good time in Meereen. I heard they got lizards up there as big as your arm, with wings too. Wouldn't want to run into any of those LOL.

Anyway, just wanted to see if you were still comin to my Nameday celebration next week. Gregor dug up those goblets we made out of the skull of Elia and Rhaenys Targaryen and my kid Jaime promised to make sum wicked awesome jello shots out of Arbor Gold and strongwine.

Hopefully you still have time to come down here. Tell Barry he can come too. You guys are the best spies we ever had and you deserve mad props.

Catch ya later, best buddy

Ty,"

Postmarked and delivered to the Great Pyramid of Meereen.

My take was that he wrote to Jorah offering his lands and title back - with maybe an implied threat to the other living Mormonts? Jorah wanted to go home in the books.

This. Although it does not have to be a threatening letter. I should really show the gratitude the realm owes Jorah due to his sterling spy-work, blah, blah, blah and asking one last favour, killing Dany, in return for his full pardon, titles and lands. If Jorah obliges, great. If not, somebody will find that letter and there is the chaos Tywin seeks.

Someone please remind me who sent Ser Jorah his 'royal pardon' again? Is this relevant to the now current situation and what Tywin might be sending that way?

That kid in the market told Jorah that the pardon was from "the spider," but I'm sure Robert had to sign off on it.

My guess is that Tywin writes to Barristan, but doesn't sign it as himself.

This was my thinking also. Offering him a pardon and lands. There must be plenty of titles going after the slaughter of the last few years.

I see the letter saying something like "We wish to restart your previous spying activities..." And when Dany finds the letter she will know hat he had once been a spy.

Archived