[Book & show spoilers] Tywins letter to Meereen

Is it possible that the letter never arrives considering what's happening in King's Landing?

What would be the point of that scene then? I think they included it to tie it to Jorah's banishment somehow.

darksellsword, on 12 May 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:snapback.png

Ser Barristan a great commander and the greatest knight who ever lived.

Excuse me. Excuse me. Prince Aemon the Dragonknight was the greatest knight who ever lived.

No love for my man Arthur Dayne? Sword of the Morning? Could cut a bunch of kingsguard down with his left hand while taking a piss with his right?

... go lefties. Born or de facto via maiming/the call of nature.

I understand that Jorah needs to be outed somehow for the overall plot, but the notion that Tywin would make a big effort to out him seems a little strange. Would Tywin even concern himself with someone like Jorah, he'd probably consider him irrelevant.

That kid in the market told Jorah that the pardon was from "the spider," but I'm sure Robert had to sign off on it.

My guess is that Tywin writes to Barristan, but doesn't sign it as himself.

he cant white it himself en say its some one els, barri knows his handwriting. ( hand for 30 years, must have written something in that time)

he doest need to just say, " u two have been super-spys now kill her en come home for a party... much love tywin" this will mess deny up enough to send one of them away en she thinks see will be betrayed for love so sad-bear gets the boot. works for the show en is close to the books. in the books its better thow.

I understand that Jorah needs to be outed somehow for the overall plot, but the notion that Tywin would make a big effort to out him seems a little strange. Would Tywin even concern himself with someone like Jorah, he'd probably consider him irrelevant.

There was some concern about the fact that Dany had two knights advising her, which Varys makes seem as dangerous to them as her unsullied army.

Well, I guess if Tywin really wanted to lay it on thick, he'd be doing the following:

1) writing a letter to Jorah about resuming his services as a spy, which "accidentally" ends up in the hands of Barristan - cue general dissent among Dany's advisors and possibly her banishing of both of them (Jorah for spying on her, possibly Barristan for being so close to the king that he surely knew what was going on - even though we know he didn't)

2) writing a letter to Daario in the hopes that the Second Sons will abandon Dany for an offer of lots of gold

3) sending some of Varys' little birds to start a fire in her shiny new navy, thus getting her stuck in Mereen for good, possibly ordering the burning of the woods around Mereen, in case the Masters haven't done that yet

4) sending one of Varys' little birds to leave a message on the walls of Meereen that makes it look like the Masters were behind it all, thus driving that wedge between her and the nobles of Meereen even deeper.

But how does that achieve Tywins objective of neutralizing Danys army? Losing Jorah might lose her one advisor and spite her but it will hardly cripple her.

It furthers his goal. Just because getting rid of Jorah doesn't immediately cripple her, doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. Getting rid of Jorah by getting him busted for spying is an easy card to play. For the rest he can devise more complex stratagems going forward.

Writing to Barristan wouldn't make sense, because there'd be no reason for Dany or Barristan to believe anything Tywin told him.

But.. Tywin doesn't consider Dany irrelevant. So, by sowing seeds of discontent in her camp, he can make it easier for himself.

I actually think it is neither,

I think it is the ball that starts the Sons of the Harpy.

Promising support from Westeros for the wealthy families of Merreen.

But he doesn't have any money or troops to give them. He can give them words of encouragement. Maybe say shes her fathers daughter etc etc Insert propaganda line. They already have enough reason to dislike Dany and having him throw wood out on the fire would look pretty weak. Also, making him the cause of the Harpy would undermine the shows efforts to try and treat the slavers position with some sympathy. If their resistance is purely the result of the machinations of Tywin then they are just an extension of his evil.

Plus, it would not look good if Dany does what Tywin wants her to do. If your nemesis is telling you "this guy was spying on you but he betrayed us so we have no problem telling you if you will get rid of him for us as him helping you puts us at a major disadvantage." you don't up and do it.

But he doesn't have any money or troops to give them. He can give them words of encouragement. Maybe say shes her fathers daughter etc etc Insert propaganda line. They already have enough reason to dislike Dany and having him throw wood out on the fire would look pretty weak. Also, making him the cause of the Harpy would undermine the shows efforts to try and treat the slavers position with some sympathy. If their resistance is purely the result of the machinations of Tywin then they are just an extension of his evil.

Plus, it would not look good if Dany does what Tywin wants her to do. If your nemesis is telling you "this guy was spying on you but he betrayed us so we have no problem telling you if you will get rid of him for us as him helping you puts us at a major disadvantage." you don't up and do it.

I understand what you are saying but I think his words were important. He asked, if Varys' birds can get into Meeren.

Archived