[Book Spoilers?(I am not sure)] Shae's betrayal of Tyrion

Such an interesting discussion! And it's really not an easy situation to unravel. The HBO version of Game of Thrones has made a soap-opera-style romance out of Tyrion and Shae's relationship, and it's going to be very interesting to see how they twist that romance into the shocking double-murder we get in the books.

My gut reaction when I got to that scene in book 3 was to say, "This will NEVER happen on the show." I just couldn't believe that show-Tyrion would ever kill a woman he loved. But I agree that book-Tyrion's character changes greatly after he kills Shae and Tywin, and if the show plans to head in that same direction, something major needs to happen, something that will haunt him forever. Killing Shae in a fit of rage might get us (and him) there. But he's not going to be the "good guy" anymore.

If the show plans to stick with the soap-opera-style romance thing for Tyrion, then he won't kill Shae. Someone else might (Tywin, perhaps), which could further fuel Tyrion's rage against his father. But Tyrion won't do it himself. But if the show plans to get Tyrion's character back to where it is in the last two books, then he will kill Shae.

Like many of you, I'm excited to see how it will play out. And whatever happens, it will be a development that shakes up the series and gets all of us talking. But I don't hate show-Shae. I don't think she's a bitch. And I don't think killing her would be justice in any shape or form.

Please write that fanfiction. It would be well worth reading.

Actually I would love to. I think a female commoner "smallfolk" POV character is something the books are missing. Some posters said with good resaon that it is not the smallfolk characters who shape history, who drive the plot, who have the insight and understanding to give us main plot milestones. And yet I miss their viewpoint.

I am not a big friend of true fanfiction outside of developing plot crackpots for forum debate since it is the author's and not my right to shape his own artistic creation but the topic above would be tempting. Only I have never written one word of fiction since puberty, and for sure not in a foreign language.

I was very glad they had her in the trial, I feared they might not. I think she will die in ep 10 (Hope so). Shae of season 3 / 4 has been mostly whining and nagging and not so nice. I think this is preparing the audience for her death.

When has anyone ever died in episode 10? Episode 8 is called "The Mountain and The Viper," I'll give you one guess as to what happens in that episode. And then Tyrion's escape will be Episode 9.

When has anyone ever died in episode 10? Episode 8 is called "The Mountain and The Viper," I'll give you one guess as to what happens in that episode. And then Tyrion's escape will be Episode 9.

Ep. 9 is just the battle.

Actually I would love to. I think a female commoner "smallfolk" POV character is something the books are missing. Some posters said with good resaon that it is not the smallfolk characters who shape history, who drive the plot, who have the insight and understanding to give us main plot milestones. And yet I miss their viewpoint.

I am not a big friend of true fanfiction outside of developing plot crackpots for forum debate since it is the author's and not my right to shape his own artistic creation but the topic above would be tempting. Only I have never written one word of fiction since puberty, and for sure not in a foreign language.

A few years ago I did a unit on Indian Epics. (Ramayana and the Mahabharata) and there is basically a whole lot of fanfiction of those ur texts (ie a Jain version*, even the translations from Sanskrit into assorted Indian vernaculars such as Tamil, or plays based on smaller incidents in the text-such as Kalidasa's "The Recognition of Shakuntala"...The Thai version of the Ramayana seems to be very different with Hanuman being transformed from a celibate bachelor (Sanskrit) into a womaniser (Thai), plus all those Balinese dance versions... So some of the great works of Eastern Literature are actually fanfiction of these two great texts.

The point is, fanfiction is nothing to be ashamed of.

So if you're feeling under confident, spend a month or more reading the best of German literature (the only ones I know about are Heine, Kleist, Goethe, Remarque, Hesse**) then write the story in German. Then find a native English speaker to who reads German to help you translate.

*Sita is Ravana's daughter in this version

**I started reading a translation of Steppenwolf in a bookstore, and quickly came to the conclusion that the author was crazy.

Not a bad advice but I still think if I felt like writing fiction I would write my very own book. Actually there is a difference if you write an epic novel based on traditional or historical mythology, moving within the archetypes of a certain cultural background or if you write fanfic based on a living author's creation, something he or she would like to continue and expand him- or herself.

Edit: quite a bit off topic ;)

I read somewhere that ep 9 will be without Dinklage :(

IMDb lists him for ep 9.

Perhaps they inserted a little scene in the dungeon - just before something else happens in ep 10. Because Charles and Peter are listed for ep 10.

I read somewhere, that even the actress playing Shae Sibel Kekilli wanted to have the part of her testimony removed, where she blamed Sansa.

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/game_of_thrones_season_4_sibel_kekilli_didnt_want_shae_to_betray_sansa-2014-05

This actually gave me some respect for her, because she at least tries to argue with the writers about their bullshit decisions.

The whole character of Shae is changed IMHO from book to show. In the show she is sympathetic throughout. Even her testimony is shown to be born from hurt that tyrion "chose" Sansa over her, whereas in the book, when she finds out about the marriage she says to tyrion "so you'll put a baby in her belly and then come back to me" and T. Is hurt that she wasn't a bit jealous. It sets up the true betrayal of T. finding out that Shae DIDN'T love him and tysha (?i think that's his first wife's name) really did, setting up the journey he takes from that point. It's going to be a klutzy transition that the show's writers will probably handle in their usual way, with further deviations.

There's a very simple reason why they didn't show Cersei threatening Shae into testifying against Tyrion and that uis because it would have ruined the surprise to the viewers when they called her to the stand which was the big payoff of the episode...

Archived