Wow, I never noticed that v.5

Angalin

Egg? Egg was present at the campsite.

Egg always calls him "ser", even when they're alone. I believe that save for Plumm in this instance, the only other person to call him loudly Dunk in the three novels is Ser Bennis of the Brown Shield.

Ask it the other way around. Where would Plumm have learned about the name Dunk?

Well, that was my question in my first post on this subject ;-)

I assume Bloodraven, with his thousand eyes and one, did investigate on Dunk, to find out if he was part of the second Blackfyre rebellion. Yet, with Ser Arlan dead, I wonder who could have revealed he was nicknamed "Dunk", since from the Ashford tourney he is only known as "Ser Duncan".

"Sister or no, if you try to steal my son from me, you shall leave by the Moon Door."

:eek:

Apart from being shocking in its own right (Cat only offers to foster) its more evidence that she killed Jon Arryn. The clues are there throughout the novels, but we were all too blind to see it :p

Egg always calls him "ser", even when they're alone. I believe that save for Plumm in this instance, the only other person to call him loudly Dunk in the three novels is Ser Bennis of the Brown Shield.

Well, that was my question in my first post on this subject ;-)

I assume Bloodraven, with his thousand eyes and one, did investigate on Dunk, to find out if he was part of the second Blackfyre rebellion. Yet, with Ser Arlan dead, I wonder who could have revealed he was nicknamed "Dunk", since from the Ashford tourney he is only known as "Ser Duncan".

But you kind of answered your own question already :)

Ser Bennis calls Duncan "Dunk". So Bennis heard it somewhere, and with Aegon calling Duncan "Ser", it will have been Dunk himself. Bennis and Dunk absolutely were not friends.

The men Dunk associates himself with at the wedding (meaning Plumm, Ser Kyle and sorts) are more friendly with Dunk. It would not be surprising at all if he simply told them.

"Sister or no, if you try to steal my son from me, you shall leave by the Moon Door."

:eek:

Apart from being shocking in its own right (Cat only offers to foster) its more evidence that she killed Jon Arryn. The clues are there throughout the novels, but we were all too blind to see it :p

Oh, that's good.

Ser Bennis calls Duncan "Dunk". So Bennis heard it somewhere, and with Aegon calling Duncan "Ser", it will have been Dunk himself. Bennis and Dunk absolutely were not friends.

I assumed Ser Bennis had already served with Ser Arlan, and had heard him called Dunk "Dunk" back in the days. Sorry I can't develop further now, I have to go to work !

I assumed Ser Bennis had already served with Ser Arlan, and had heard him called Dunk "Dunk" back in the days. Sorry I can't develop further now, I have to go to work !

Ah, you are right. Dunk was already serving with Ser Arlan when they worked together with Bennis:

"Dunk the lunk, Pennytree used to call you . I recall."

But then I still think Dunk told the men at the wedding. How else? That Bloodraven investigated Dunk a little bit, since they were at a traitors wedding, seems perfectly logical to me. But where would he have gotten the knowledge that Duncan the Tall is actually Dunk? No where that I recall, though perhaps it it possible that thanks to Aegon's presence, Bloodraven was able to trace the trail back to Osgrey, where one of his spies told him about a Dunk, as Bennis would call him, with a young bald squire?

Jon III, Clash

All this time, Ive been waiting for ice spiders. We need to be looking out for ice sheep!

What if Craster got it wrong? What if the Others were more interested in sheep? Dragons also prefer mutton to human, after all.

Ah, you are right. Dunk was already serving with Ser Arlan when they worked together with Bennis:

But then I still think Dunk told the men at the wedding. How else? That Bloodraven investigated Dunk a little bit, since they were at a traitors wedding, seems perfectly logical to me. But where would he have gotten the knowledge that Duncan the Tall is actually Dunk? No where that I recall, though perhaps it it possible that thanks to Aegon's presence, Bloodraven was able to trace the trail back to Osgrey, where one of his spies told him about a Dunk, as Bennis would call him, with a young bald squire?

How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes, and one.

And he is the eldest of Robert's known bastard sons...

Poor Mya. Does she not count? She's about 4 years older.. And Robert's first child. Followed by Bella... then comes Gendry, then Edric, then the twins, than Barra.

And that's just the known onces.. But Mya is certainly the eldest of Robert's children.

is he? I thought Edric was older. Or have I just made Gendry much closer to Arya's age in my mind?

Edric is younger than Gendry, Gendry is younger than Mya. Bella comes in between Mya and Gendry.

I think the common perception of the readers is that Illyrio was lying when he told Viserys...

"They are your people, and they love you well," Magister Illyrio said amiably. "In holdfasts all across the realm, men lift secret toasts to your health while women sew dragon banners and hide them against the day of your return from across the water." He gave a massive shrug. "Or so my agents tell me."

But there are few subtle hints that was not entirely untrue. We have the hidden tapestries in Darry. And we have at least some begging brothers suggesting that Aerys was the rightful king and anticipating the return of the dragons. IIRC Arya overhears was of the Mountain's captives lamenting the end of the Targaryen dynasty.

Upon reread, Eddard I GoT: Robert has arrived at WF and Ned is laying eyes on him for the first time in many years. Ned's recollections of Robert begin this way: "Fifteen years past, when they had ridden forth to win a throne ..."

Support for Southron Ambition - 15 years prior would have been at the very start of RR, meaning there was a plan in place to depose Aerys from the beginning.

Upon reread, Eddard I GoT: Robert has arrived at WF and Ned is laying eyes on him for the first time in many years. Ned's recollections of Robert begin this way: "Fifteen years past, when they had ridden forth to win a throne ..."

Support for Southron Ambition - 15 years prior would have been at the very start of RR, meaning there was a plan in place to depose Aerys from the beginning.

15 years prior to 298AC would have been in 283AC, when the Rebellion had been going on for a while :)

Poor Mya. Does she not count? She's about 4 years older.. And Robert's first child. Followed by Bella... then comes Gendry, then Edric, then the twins, than Barra.

And that's just the known onces.. But Mya is certainly the eldest of Robert's children.

Edric is younger than Gendry, Gendry is younger than Mya. Bella comes in between Mya and Gendry.

If we can believe Maggy the Frog, he has sixteen children.

Not necessarily. Your conclusion could be correct. But recall that RR began in response to Aerys's cruel and unusual execution of Rickard's and Brandon without an acceptable trial and the royal demand that Jon execute Robert and Eddard. The Lords of the Vale, the Stormlands, and North could have resolved at that point to depose Aerys and install his cousin Steffon's first-born son in favor of Rhaegar, who had violated a sacred betrothal and abducted Lyanna.

If we can believe Maggy the Frog, he has sixteen children.

Sixteen children, yes. But we know only about seven out of sixteen.

Ned remembered Robert’s first child as well, a daughter born in the Vale when Robert was scarcely more than a boy himself.

Mya was, for as far as is known, Robert's first child. It's true that there might be an older one, but it's very possible she was the youngest, since Robert hadn't been that very old when fathering her.

He spend his first few fertile years in the Vale, where it would come to his (or Jon Arryn's) attention if he had impregnated a girl. Mya was known, and Robert spend plenty of time with her (at first).

Not necessarily. Your conclusion could be correct. But recall that RR began in response to Aerys's cruel and unusual execution of Rickard's and Brandon without an acceptable trial and the royal demand that Jon execute Robert and Eddard. The Lords of the Vale, the Stormlands, and North could have resolved at that point to depose Aerys and install his cousin Steffon's first-born son in favor of Rhaegar, who had violated a sacred betrothal and abducted Lyanna.

I think the "ridden forth to win a throne" might be referencing to the Battle of the Trident specifically.. That occured in 283AC, and by then it was no longer about demaning justice, but about removing Aerys, right?

15 years prior to 298AC would have been in 283AC, when the Rebellion had been going on for a while :)

Point taken....

I was going off of Robb and Jon's age of 14 at the time of this occurrence, but I suppose there is wiggle room.

It just jumped out at me as it has never been very clear as to when it was decided that Robert would assume the throne, but has been hinted around that the common 7 Kingdoms belief is that it happened later on in RR....something I have never bought into. Plus I secretly love the idea of an underground conspiracy. :P

Archived