Wow, I never noticed that v.5

Angalin

Also, as a fan of the R+L=J theory, I realized that there's this great symmetry with Jon and Mance's son. He basically sets up this big lie where the kid will grow up thinking he's a bastard (Sam's) because his true identity as a "prince" would be deadly for him. I enjoyed that.

This is a good catch because people usually jump at the parallel of the fAegon supposed baby switch.

Yeah but she was involved with Bloodraven who had one eye left after Redgrass field and his eyes were both red. His one red plus her one blue equals purple. It's perfect! She really should have married him.

Lol maybe! but Bloodraven was likely an albino, then their kids would have had either their mother's eyes or their fathers, not a mix

The dragons were no larger than the scrawny cats she had once seen skulking along the walls of Magister Illyrios estate in Pentos . . . until they unfolded their wings.

Daenerys I, Clash

Did the George write this line for comparison, to give the reader a better idea of the dragons size? Or was he suggesting to the reader that someone was watching what was going on in Illyrios manse? Bloodraven maybe?

The cream-and-gold I call Viserion. Viserys was cruel and weak and frightened, yet he was my brother still. His dragon will do what he could not.

Daenerys I, Clash

And what exactly was it that Viserion will accomplish that Viserys could not?

Is there any significance to the list of opponents Jorah faced in the Tourney at Lannisport held by Robert to celebrate his victory over House Greyjoy?

I fight as well as any man, Khaleesi, but I have never been a tourney knight. Yet with Lynesses favor knotted round my arm, I was a different man. I won joust after joust. Lord Jason Mallister fell before me, and Bronze Yohn Royce. Ser Ryman Frey, his brother Ser Hosteen, Lord Whent, Strongboar, even Ser Boros Blount of the Kingsguard, I unhorsed them all. In the last match, I broke nine lances against Jaime Lannister to no result, and King Robert gave me the champions laurel.

Daenerys I, Clash

Daenerys I, Clash

And what exactly was it that Viserion will accomplish that Viserys could not?

Dany believes Viserion will help her take back the Iron Throne, something Visaerys was never able to do and never would have been able to do since he was a weak and ineffective leader.

Is there any significance to the list of opponents Jorah faced in the Tourney at Lannisport held by Robert to celebrate his victory over House Greyjoy?

Daenerys I, Clash

i could be wrong but they are all houses from the Vale/Riverlands. Also BYR is related to the starks, is known for wearing gold-ish armor(in color) and might discover Alayne Stone's true identity. There is that vision about Sansa's champions fighting for her and one is armored like the sun

i could be wrong but they are all houses from the Vale/Riverlands. Also BYR is related to the starks, is known for wearing gold-ish armor(in color) and might discover Alayne Stone's true identity. There is that vision about Sansa's champions fighting for her and one is armored like the sun

No, Strongboar is from the West and Boros is from the Crownlands.

Lol maybe! but Bloodraven was likely an albino, then their kids would have had either their mother's eyes or their fathers, not a mix

Oh I wasn't commenting on their likely children at all, just the fact that they were clearly perfect for one another. She never should have let that hunk of greenseer get away. ;)

Ser Hyle Hunt saved Sam from drowning.

Looking at the water only made him think of drowning. When he was small his lord father had tried to teach him how to swim by throwing him into the pond beneath Horn Hill. The water had gotten in his nose and in his mouth and in his lungs, and he coughed and wheezed for hours after Ser Hyle pulled him out.

What a lovely guy Randyll is.

Compare this

How long the city had been deserted she could not know, but the white walls, so beautiful from afar, were cracked and crumbling when seen up close. Inside was a maze of narrow crooked alleys. The buildings pressed close, their facades blank, chalky, windowless. Everything was white, as if the people who lived here had known nothing of color. They rode past heaps of sun-washed rubble where houses had fallen in, and elsewhere saw the faded scars of fire. At a place where six alleys came together, Dany passed an empty marble plinth. Dothraki had visited this place before, it would seem. Perhaps even now the missing statue stood among the other stolen gods in Vaes Dothrak. She might have ridden past it a hundred times, never knowing. On her shoulder, Viserion hissed.

Daenerys I, Clash

To this

He had better, Viserys said grimly. I was promised a crown, and I mean to have it. The dragon is not mocked. Spying an obscene likeness of a woman with six breasts and a ferrets head, he rode off to inspect it more closely.

Daenerys IV, Game

Perhaps the obscene likeness of a woman with six breasts and a ferrets head was taken from Vaes Tolorro?

Great call on the potential comparison between the way Jon was raised - taken from his true parents, mother who died painfully in childbirth, father who was in the middle of a war and likely to die - and raised somewhere else under a different identity to protect him from the enemies that would hate him just for who he was born - thats pretty fascinating.

I think its not all that uncommon in Westeros, but its again striking just whose mothers die in childbirth that we know of - Jon (assumed), Tyrion, Dany, and Mance's son. Very interesting indeed.

Tywin was courting Walder Frey very early on, shortly after he took Harrenhal...

The captives ate at their own table in the Hall of a Hundred Hearths, and could often be seen about the grounds. Four brothers took their exercise together every day, fighting with staves and wooden shields in the Flowstone Yard. Three of them were Freys of the Crossing, the fourth their bastard brother. They were only there a short time, though; one morning two other brothers arrived under a peace banner with a chest of gold, and ransomed them from the knights who'd captured them. The six Freys all left together.

Arya VII, Clash

Archived