Wow, I never noticed that v.5

Angalin

Is there some significance here or just color? If the climbing roses are the Tyrells? What is the abandoned watchtower?

Jaime spied a watchtower on the heights ahead, growing taller with every stroke of the oars. Long before they were upon it, he knew that it stood abandoned, its weathered stones overgrown with climbing roses.

Jaime I, Storm

ETA: Perhaps the Targaryen occupation of the Iron Throne?

Is there some significance here or just color? If the climbing roses are the Tyrells? What is the abandoned watchtower?

Jaime I, Storm

I don't even remember where Jaime is at that point, but it might be meant to draw a parallel to the Tower of Joy, which I think may have been supposed to be an old watchtower and has a rose connection via Lyanna.

Jaime I, Storm

ETA: Perhaps the Targaryen occupation of the Iron Throne?

It could be House Hightower and Tyrell or Tower of Joy and Lyanna. The Tyrells overtaking the Hightower?

It's already been listed but I just had to second it because this time around it hit me in the face: Victarion is absolutely stupid! What he says! What he does! What he thinks! I don't think he even tries to think.

It is also funny that Theon (who is not kind of a genius himself either, to say the least) is completely right about Victarion: back in ASOS he tells Asha that Victarion is just a great grey bullock :-)

That we're never told if Lord Commander Mormont had a steward before Jon Snow. If not, why Jon? If yes, what happened to that steward?

He did have a steward IIRC, only one that couldn't read or write etc. I'm fairly certain Jon replaced someone.

ETA: On second thought I'm thinking of Sam replacing Chett

Just realised on my first reread of ADWD that, when Arya was the „Blind Beth“ in Braavos, she was warging the cat to find out who of all the people in the HoBaW was always picking a fight with her.No idea how that could have went by me on my first read. :blink: :laugh:

Just realised on my first reread of ADWD that, when Arya was the „Blind Beth“ in Braavos, she was warging the cat to find out who of all the people in the HoBaW was always picking a fight with her.No idea how that could have went by me on my first read. :blink: :laugh:

:stunned: I didn't even realise til now.

:stunned: I didn't even realise til now.

When I read that chapter the first time I didn‘t even think of it, but once I noticed, I really wondered why I hadn‘t picked up on it earlier.

I don‘t have the book at hand, so no actual quotes, but I‘ll try to recollect.

When the Kindly Man asks her about the three things she‘s learned that day (as he apparently always does), the third thing she tells him is that she knows it is him who always hits her. She then thinks of how the cat from Pynto‘s (right?) inn followed her home and that she know‘s it because of that.

Also, when she‘s begging in the tavern, she can see three sailors next to her through the eyes of the cat for a short moment, I believe.

Archived