Mantarys and the Valyrian gene

Mrs.Grumpy

twoiaf spoilers

Maegor's babies were limbless, eyeless, misshapen or hermaprodite

. Then we have Rhaenyra's Visenya and

Laena's baby

. All of them reported as monster-like.

Mantarys is a Valyrian city and it's known as "city of monsters". I think the people of Mantarys are just Valyrians who have the monster gene more than anyone else and as opposed to the Targaryens, their babies survive the birth and continue living as a "monster". We already saw a two-headed girl from Mantarys.

Sweets was a hermaphroite and it's implied that she was a Valyrian too. Although, we don't know if she was from Mantarys.

I think the people of Mantarys being considered monstrous might have something to do with some kind of magical fallout after the Doom. Or maybe Valyrian sorcery really fucks with their babies.

I think Mantarys is the last Remnant of the Valyrian Freehold

All the free Cities are remnants of the freehold. Lys has a strong amount of blood among them, and Volantis prides itself on their descent.

I always take that kind of story with a pinch of salt. Both the stories about deformed Targaryen babies and the supposedly monstruous citizens of Mantarys. It would actually be funny if we found out that people in Mantarys are perfectly normal looking human beings, or that the rumours about their physical appearance are just distortions based, for example, on their odd fashion choices.

• 2 months later...

I don't think it's one specific "gene" necessarily, but you raise a good point (which I've half mulled over in my mind before) -- maybe Mantarys, being near the old hinterland of Old Valyria, but isolated in the mountains....just kept going with the Valyrians' high level of inbreeding, on a horrific scale. The Freehold at least had people spread out across an empire, Mantarys is just once city.

I think we're talking "The Hills Have Eyes" level stuff here, massive inbreeding, relic of Valyrian custom.

Archived