ASOIAF 20 Questions v. 98

a free shadow

There are not that many northern houses with animal sigils. I haven't gone through the whole list but so far I have only found Stark, Hornwood, Ryswell, Magnar.

Cassel has ten wolves so not really 'an animal' and there are two others - Reed and Condon but they are 'semi-canon' which means not in the books, doesn't it?

Defo. Take a guess then, and then we'll have something more to work on! :)

ETA: I have been trying to think of specific scenes where a specific northern banner-ish might have been seen but I haven't been able to come up with anything yet...

could try narrowing down the book it appears in.

There are not that many northern houses with animal sigils. I haven't gone through the whole list but so far I have only found Stark, Hornwood, Ryswell, Magnar.

Cassel has ten wolves so not really 'an animal' and there are two others - Reed and Condon but they are 'semi-canon' which means not in the books, doesn't it?

Do we know for sure if it's something we actually see, or something that is only mentioned like the banner Robb tells Mormont and Glover to fly while going upriver in search of HR?

ETA:

Yeah, that would help too!

Sounds like a good idea.

Do we know for sure if it's something we actually see, or something that is only mentioned like the banner Robb tells Mormont and Glover to fly while going upriver in search of HR?

The formulation used by A Free Shadow was "12. One particular banner(ish) we saw somewhere in the books"

I can not sleep. I will try again though.

Please excuse my banner(ish) thing, I am not really good at terminology -- yes, simply think of it as a quite regular banner. I gave up many answers early in the guessing though, so you can not be very mad for this mistake, it is forbidden to be mad :ninja:

HINT: Take the hint :ninja:

1. Not a character

2. Not an office or a title

3. Object

4. Made of cloth

5. It is not worn by the/some of the black brothers.

6. Not a scarf

7. It is not worn

8. It is a banner, it displays a coat of arms

9. A northern coat of arms

10. It displays a being (e.g. human, giant, merman, animal)

11. It displays an animal

12. One particular banner we saw somewhere in the books

13. A Stark banner

Hm... somehow your first hint made me think of Umber, because "HINT" is written in big (=giant) letters, but if it's an animal, it's no giant on the banner(ish thing).

That would have been very nice!

I wonder if they made Rob/Greywolf copse/s carry some sort of banner?

I am trying to think of banners that aren't banners.

I did a not-so-thorough search on the Robb/Grey Wind thing and couldn't find any mention of a banner. I keep going back to Robb telling Maege and Glover to fly his banner so that HR could find them... If FS answers that it isn't in AGoT or ACoK maybe we should ask if it's in ASoS.

I was trying to think of banners that aren't banners too but couldn't come up with anything. Maybe the 'banner that isn't a banner' has to do with the way it's being used in the text and not the fact that it isn't a proper banner, like a banner being used over a casket or something...

I wonder if they made Rob/Greywolf copse/s carry some sort of banner?

I am trying to think of banners that aren't banners.

what about the banner they used to cover Ned's bones? It's a proper banner however not used for its proper purpose.

what about the banner they used to cover Ned's bones? It's a proper banner however not used for its proper purpose.

also I have found Dancer's trappings, in a scene where Bran rides him into the harvest festival at Winterfell non ASOS

1. Not a character

3. Object

4. Made of cloth

6. Not a scarf

7. It is not worn

13. A Stark banner

14. Not from AGoT/ACoK

1. Not a character

3. Object

4. Made of cloth

6. Not a scarf

7. It is not worn

13. A Stark banner

14. Not from AGoT/ACoK

15. From ASoS/AFfC

Ned's bones are in ACOK

It could be just a normal banner which was somehow highlighted in the text, like the Stark banner the Freys stepped on in Harrenhal (ASOS), or the sodden and wet banner they took to the Twins (ASOS), or the Stark banner in Riverrun (the last Stark banner) (AFFC).

I don't understand what Shadow mean by "take the hint". Could it be that she mean the hidden text in the OP (snow has fallen)? If so, the only relevant Stark banner is the one in Riverrun (in the same chapter snow starts to fall in the riverlands (Jaime VII)

Clash, isn't it?

I've found three instances where Stark banners are mentioned in ASos:

A Stark banner that is trampled in the mud when the Frey's learn about Jeyne Westerling - this banner is mentioned twice, once when it actually appears and the second when Cat recalls the scene; the other is a drooping banner when they reach the Twins...

Archived